Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Apart from the obvious JB Titles what comics died before their time? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 1  

Vexx.  It was silly and different and I loved it.  A shop owner was recomending it and I figured why not, since I had a small week.  Several months later I was sad I wouldn't be seeing it again.

Back to Top profile | search

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 2  

I second 'Mazing Man!  I loved that book, and the fact that on top it was silly and funny but right underneath was a story full of truths and sadness.  Great book.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 3  

Kannigher and Kubert's Ragman.

Gregory Dickens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 4  

Milligan and Phillips' MINX for Vertigo. There was so much there to develop.

Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew. Twenty issues wasn't enough for me. A genuine, funny animal comic book published before Crisis.

Tom Strong is ending this December, and I think it's still a viable property. It can go in any direction under a variety of talent.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 5  

Walt Simonson's ORION

John Ostrander's SUICIDE SQUAD (though five years ain't bad, and it never had a chance to get stale...)

Ostrander's HAWKWORLD (eff continuity)

Charkes Vess's BOOK OF BALLADS & SAGAS

Ed Brubaker's SCENE OF THE CRIME for Vertigo.

Even though this thread is about non-JB titles...I have to mention NEXT MEN. Was absolutely my fave book of its era and its void is still felt.

Art Adams' MONKEYMAN & O'BRIEN

Helfer's THE SHADOW for DC.

Alan Moore's TOP TEN.

Linda Medley's CASTLE WAITING.

My most-lamented lost book, however, is Steve Bissette's creator-owned TYRANT, intended to dramatize the life of a Tyrannosaurus Rex from birth to death with a naturalist's eye. The four issues that came out were just amazing, but the mid-90s bust killed it as surely as NEXT MEN. Much sadness for what could have been.

Rory Hurlburt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

Some of you might think I'm crazy but back when that whole impact comic thing was going on in the early 90s, most the titles didn't really strike me as anything great but I loved the Black Hood. It lasted 12 issues and then pretty much I think the whole impact thing went poof. I still go back and reread the 12 issue run every now and again. I guess there's an annual out there too I should hunt that down some time.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

I thought the Gren Lantern run by Len Wein and Dave Gibbons was cut short too soon, although some of the subplots were a little transparent, it was enjoyable.  Same for the 80's DC revival of the Blue Beetle, I got 'em all and was really disappointed when it got cancelled.

Danger Unlimited still stands out as one the great unfinished series.

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh, and good call on the Chaykin/Mignola FAFHRD/GRAY MOUSER series. I'm pretty sure it was never planned to go beyond the four issues that came out, but wouldn't it have been great?

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

I also miss the grim 'n' gritty LEGION of the '90s under Giffen and the Bierbaums. Just me, I know, but I miss it just the same.

Larry Bonds
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

YOUNGBLOOD!...Just joking guys! Please don't stone me for that!

Kevin Smith's BLACK CAT series. You mean it wasn't cancelled? Just 3 years late?!?

Actually, I would have loved to see where NEXT MEN was gonna go. I was primed for the next phase and I am still waiting. I'm also waiting for another GENERATIONS mini or ongoing. Great tease in DOOM PATROL featuring the 'imaginary' world.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

I recently started a similar thread on another board, so here I go with the ol' cut 'n' paste...

ROM - I dug the Spaceknight and his battles against the Dire Wraiths. It would be cool to see him back in a recognizable Marvel Universe or be able to buy a few ESSENTIALS volumes collecting the entire series; however, neither of these things is likely to happen because Marvel no longer has rights to the character.

SECTION ZERO - This fun, creator-owned series by Tom Grummett disappeared after just three issues, so never had a chance to find its audience.

JOHN BYRNE'S NEXT MEN - These thirty-one issues are perhaps my favorite Byrne work to date, and I'm just dying to know what the heck is up with that prehistoric twist we glimpsed at the end of the first story arc!

BARRY WINDSOR SMITH: STORYTELLER - This oversized book contained three stories, one of which took the feature role each month. Too bad great art and storytelling doesn't sell as well as overhyped crossovers and morally challenged versions of classic characters.

THE CROSSOVERS - A witty combination of the sci-fi, superhero, fantasy, and supernatural genres

WAY OF THE RAT - Question: What do you get when you mix martial arts mastery and mysticism with mysterious madmen and a man-voiced monkey? Answer: CrossGen's best series

ABADAZAD - This book was an incrediblly well-written, well-drawn monthly journey into fantasy that THE STARDUST KID can't even begin to replace.

BODY BAGS - Clown Face is killer. And who in their right mind doesn't love Panda? Fortunately, I hear that the world's most dangerous bounty hunter and his crackshot daughter are making a comeback. Thanks, Jason Pearson!

WHAT IF... - Why not... ?

STATIC (with Dwayne McDuffie as writer and John Paul Leon as artist) - The first eight to ten issues of this series were fantabulous!

METAMORPHO - ...but only if the original team did it.

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 17 October 2005 at 1:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2005 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

I also really liked Knights on Broadway, published by Jim Shooter's ill-fated Broadway comics. Interesting story and great artwork. I was seriously bummed when it discontinued because Broadway went under.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version