Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Legend imprint (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2005 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 1  

Can someone explain the history of the Legend imprint at Dark Horse?

How it came about, how successful was it, why it folded, etc...

This question is not limited to JB, tho he is probably the most authorative word on the board on the subject.

Thanks!
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2005 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 2  

Don't know much about the inner workings of it, but I do remember that it wasn't meant to be a unique universe of titles. Just an imprint to signify when one of the creators was doing creator-owned work.

Always wondered if Matt Wagner was invited to join. His Grendel and Mage work would have been cool to see with the Legend-head on it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 October 2005 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 3  

As Jo Duffy once so aptly put it, "It didn't take long for Legend to become Myth."

Legend was inspired by Image, when Image was an imprint under Malibu. "What a great idea!" we thought. "Let's do the same -- only do it right." By "right", we meant no soliciting of books that never happened, no late books, no gimmicks, nothing, in fact, but comic books. And we had some of the finest talents then working in the business ready to produce those comic books.

Contrary to the moronic droolings of at least one of the louder whiners of the fan press, Legend did not refer to those of us who founded it. That would have been Legends, with an S, and that was not what we were claiming about ourselves. Instead, being the anti-Image, we cast about for something that would say "Here there be stories!" and Legend is what came up. (As I recall, Frank Miller and I came up with the name independently, but almost simultaneously.)

Then reality set in. First we discovered some of the guys -- one in particular -- could not produce even the small amount of work promised. Then what might be politely deemed "other considerations" began to creep in ("Let's do a Legend card set! And let's include people who have only just joined but don't have any work out yet -- that won't really be the same as promoting projects that don't exist. . . ")

Frank was the first to declare he would no longer use the Legend totem om his books. I followed his lead. And then I was thoroughly castigated online, by people who rather dramatically missed the point, when I did not use the emblem on WONDER WOMAN!

Ah, well ------

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2005 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jeez, what a shame for the industry that Legend didn't become a raging success. 

What a different business it would be if McFarland's shadow over sales in the 90's were replaced by JB and Frank Miller's.

What a different business it would have to be for that to ever take place, I guess.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 October 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 5  

I might add that Legend was scuttled almost from the beginning, precisely by the overpowering shadow of Image. At about the midway point in our first year, a consortium of retailers voted Legend the "Worst New Universe", or something of that nature, rather missing the somewhat important point that only 2 of the titles we started out with (HELLBOY and DANGER UNLIMITED) were part of a shared "universe". The rest, SIN CITY, NEXT MEN, CONCRETE, MARTHA WASHINGTON, and HARD BOILED were separate entities (some of which even predated Legend), as was most everything else that came along later. Nor had we said anything to indicate otherwise. Frank, in fact, had been quite vocal about how none of his titles would be part of any shared universe.

Jeremy Nichols
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2005 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 6  

Even if it wasn't a shared universe.... how could such a
collection of titles as you listed, JB, be considered a "worst"
anything? Those seven works are almost all considered
important, if not classic, works these days.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version