Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Sasquatch Q for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 1  

Before I ask my question I'd just like to mention what a big fan of your work I've been for many years. I lost interest in comics over 10 years ago, only to get hooked again a couple of years ago thanks to a friend. I was so happy to see that not only were you still active in the field but continuing to produce great work. I've managed to track down most of your work from my "missing years" and enjoyed it as much as I did your "old stuff"

Anyway, I've always wondered about your plans for Sasquatch after his "death" and his becoming Box. Was this a permanent change in your mind ?

Thanks in advance for answering.  

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 2  

I was making up ALPHA FLIGHT on the fly, throwing everything and anything I could think of into the book to try to keep myself interested. Turning Walter into Box was one such thing, done to twist the plotlines, but with no real idea of where it might end up. Same with the "new" Aurora. Really, the only thing that was planned out well in advance was the death of Jim Hudson.

Eric Rubenbauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 3  

Another couple Questions on Alpha Flight. How many issues did you plan on staying when you started. Did you ever want Wolverine to rejoin group. Was the lack of Villains in Canada ever a problem - Heck you can't find Villains in Chicago & LA. (Mayors Don't Count)

Eric Freed
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 4  

The death of Guardian was really the first comic book death I had experienced, being too young to have read the death of Gwen Stacy, and I was not a fan of the X-men to see Phoenix's death.  It really hit me hard, as I was really starting to get into Alpha Flight and didn't see his death coming.

Year's later, after introducing my wife to comics, we had a discussion about the death of Jim Hudson and, more specifically, the death of a spouse, and Heather's reaction to it and mourning following it.  Ironically, my wife would die suddenly within six months of that discussion.  I can't read those books now without thinking of her.  JB, your portrayal of Heather in the issues following her husband's death were very true to life.  And, in some little way, these stories have helped me in my own recovery.  Thank you.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 5  

Year's later, after introducing my wife to comics, we had a discussion about the death of Jim Hudson and, more specifically, the death of a spouse, and Heather's reaction to it and mourning following it.  Ironically, my wife would die suddenly within six months of that discussion.  I can't read those books now without thinking of her.  JB, your portrayal of Heather in the issues following her husband's death were very true to life.  And, in some little way, these stories have helped me in my own recovery.  Thank you.

My deepest condolences for your loss. One story like this wipes out 10,000 trolls. I thank you. This is what keeps me coming back to the drawingboard every day.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 6  

How many issues did you plan on staying when you started. Did you ever want Wolverine to rejoin group. Was the lack of Villains in Canada ever a problem - Heck you can't find Villains in Chicago & LA. (Mayors Don't Count)

I had no long term plans for ALPHA. That was one of the many reasons I left. The book simply did not engage the correct parts of my brain.

Martin Hobson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 7  

Thanks for the reply JB. Can anyone fill me in on what has happened to Sasquatch in the last couple of years? The last I remember Walter was in control of Snowbird's body but could only transform into Sasquatch,  not any of the other creatures Anne had been able to shift into.

I thought the white Sasquatch was visually striking, especially Jim Lee's rendition, but Walter in a female body just seemed a bit wierd.

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 8  

"Can anyone fill me in on what has happened to Sasquatch in the last couple of years? The last I remember Walter was in control of Snowbird's body but could only transform into Sasquatch,  not any of the other creatures Anne had been able to shift into."

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq =10&fldAuto=115

Great site with bios. Just recently added Sasquatch too!

Martin Hobson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks Trevor, just what I was after.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

Always thought Sasquatch was a terrific character. Walt was one of the few "monster heroes" who seemed to enjoy being who and what he was!

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

I know I've never really said this before...

but I loved AF and there's not a thing JB can do about that,
so Phooey!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2005 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

but Walter in a female body just seemed a bit weird.

Boy was it ever!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version