Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Title Change: Spider-Man Thread (Now with New Costume) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 1  

So Spider-Man married goes against the very idea of the character, but having a 20 year marriage negated by a cosmic reality shift doesn't?  Interesting...

Interesting in that it demonstrates the degree to which Spider-Man is screwed up. Only a cosmic enema could ever have any chance of restoring the character to what he once was -- and what he was supposed to be.

Back to Top profile | search

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
I still think JMS has handled Peter and MJ well as a married couple--in
some areas, he's probably handled them the best.

I disagree.
For me, they don't seem a married couple anymore. I was talking about this with a friend of mine days ago... They don't act like 2 married people. Yes, they live together, but then...? Their relation doesn't seem real, for me. They don't share anything (experiences, good and bad moments...), they don't go anywhere (cinema? theatre? nope), they aren't building their own future. I could say they seem kids, not grown ups. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 3  

I agree with Glenn about JMS and the marriage. I frankly think he writes it the best at least in a long time.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 4  

Resetting Spider-Man to his "original" state doesn't negate any of the stories written from 1980-whatever onward, any more than the Crisis (and MoS) "erased" Superman stories from the Silver Age or JSA stories from modern continuity. The stories are still there-- they can be collected, read, recommended or disregarded as readers choose-- but a reset has the advantages of getting Peter Parker back to what made the character appealing (and relatable) in the first place, IMHO.

And I reiterate my point from upthread-- the marriage was a terrible idea. Doesn't matter who writes it, it was a mistake and ought to be undone.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 06 January 2006 at 9:47am

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 5  

I think a reset does negate the stories-becaus to the character, they never happened. and one of the appealing things about Marvel to me growing up was these stories happened, the character had awareness of them, they were history for the character. Heck many people are still sore over Crisis and the new Superman (not me but others).  Their universe ended with Crisis, their Superman was gone.

TO simply tell me that my entire reading of Spider-man "never happened" and was wrong is a big FU to me and I would treat it as such.

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 06 January 2006 at 9:57am

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 6  

Francesco,

I haven't read a Spider-Man comic in more than a year, so I don't know if
the situation has changed, but when I was still reading AMAZING, I felt
that JMS did a good job capturing Peter and MJ as a young couple in love
and putting their marriage back together after a long separation.

As for them not going anywhere, I think that has a lot to do with Spider-
Man's civilian life essentially being dropped from the book. Think about
it: his entire current ongoing supporting cast consists of Mary Jane and
Aunt May, both of whom know his secret identity. The Daily Bugle and its
employees are no longer part of the series (a damn crime, I say) and, last I
saw, Peter and MJ have no "civilian" friends with whom to socialize.

There was a time where a significant portion of each issue was devoted to
Peter's life outside of the costume, and we'd get to see what was going on
in the lives of Flash, Harry, Betty, MJ, etc. I remember one issue from way
back starting out with Peter and MJ simply on a date, strolling through
Central Park and eating ice cream cones. I remember Betty having
problems in her marriage to Ned Leeds and turning to Peter for support.
Flash and Sha Shan. The list goes on.

Spider-Man had one of the best supporting casts in comicdom, but over
the last 15 years or so, the members of that supporting cast have been
woefully neglected--or simply killed off (it pretty much happened right
after Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz were bounced off AMAZING by "editor"
Jim Owsley).

Remember when the HULK actually had a supporting cast? That feels like
AGES ago now.

Edited by Glenn Greenberg on 06 January 2006 at 10:00am

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 7  

"Not saying that sales would be lower if he was single or anything like that, but blaming the marriage on every sales hit the Spider-Man books have taken over the last 20 years is just scapegoating.  Some people like it, some people hate it, and for others it's simply been the reality for as long as they've been alive."

I don't think anyone is blaming the marriage for "every sales hit" and you can write good stories featuring married Peter and MJ.

BUT...there's a whole bunch of stories you could write for single Peter you can't write for married Peter.  AND...there's a whole bunch of marriage appropriate stories you can't write for Peter, either.

Peter and MJ were never supposed to be like Clark Kent and Lois Lane.  When you write them like Clark and Lois, you don't necessarily end up with horrible stories.  You do, however, lose some very important character elements that used to set Peter Parker apart from other super-heroes.

Mike

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 8  

After the marriage, sales were doing pretty well - heck, Spider-Man wound up with a fourth solo title.  >>>>

That was pure speculator nonsense combined with an ego trip for Todd McFarlane.

Not like there was a plummeting readership.  What seemed to kill the books was the middle/tail end of the Clone Saga, which basically used "comic book" tropes in an effort to undo the marriage.  Didn't go over well. 

Again, if the twist in the Clone Saga had been the revelation that Mary Jane was a clone and the real one had been kidnapped, resulting in the real one not being married to Peter and the clone "degenerating," I don't think fans would have reacted as they did. It was the whole "this isn't Peter Parker" that got them. Oh and the story taking FOREVER.

<<< Currently, the situations that seem to be driving Spider-Man readers away have nothing to do with the marriage.  It's having the dead girlfriend sleeping with his arch enemy retroactively, Mystic Warrior Spider-Man, etc.  Those stories would be crap no matter what his marital status was.  >>

Agreed.

However, I think the marriage is a major symptom of the problem with Spider-Man. Spider-Man should be a kid. If he's not, the character is all wrong. Marriage is one of the most adult things someone can do (yes, yes, I know the cynical responses that will be made) and I can't think of anything more inappropriate for Spider-Man.

I don't see how you can dismantle everything unique about a character in the name of "growth" and think that's a good thing.

1963 Spider-Man: Teenage high school student living with his aunt who had money problems. Much like "Buffy," his battles were very much a metaphor for adolesence itself.

2006 Spider-Man: Thirtysomething (!) high school teacher (!) living with his wife (!) in Avengers Mansion.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 9  

I agree with Glenn about JMS and the marriage. I frankly think he writes it the best at least in a long time

I take my car to the World's Worst Engine Mechanic. He never fixes the actual problem, but since he does a great job cleaning the windshield, it's OK!

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 10  

"Spider-Man had one of the best supporting casts in comicdom, but over
the last 15 years or so, the members of that supporting cast have been
woefully neglected--or simply killed off (it pretty much happened right
after Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz were bounced off AMAZING by "editor"
Jim Owsley)."

I wonder if that isn't one of the observable consequences of the marriage?  If you want a good marriage, your spouse should become the major person in your life, right?  You don't have to become a hermit, but a happily married man should have less time to spend with other people.  It's not even a conscious thing on the part of creators, it's that the book is no longer about Peter Parker.  It's about BOTH Peter and MJ.  That has to change the dynamic.

You also might be able to argue that the Daily Bugle folks were also affected by the marriage because "freelance photographer always short of money" seems like a perfectly fine job for an early 20-something guy.  It can seem a little immature and irresponsible for a pushing-30 married guy.  Immature if his wife makes a lot more money than him.  Irresponsible if she doesn't.

Mike

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 11  

I take my car to the World's Worst Engine Mechanic. He never fixes the actual problem, but since he does a great job cleaning the windshield, it's OK!

Yup. That's the "to tell a good story" line of BS that some writers and editors have so successfully managed to foist upon dimwitted fans. Believe it or not, kiddies, the whole point of every story is "to tell a good story". What would be the reason for doing it, otherwise? The whole idea that continuity and characterization can be tossed out the window "to tell a good story" is symbolic of so much that is wrong with the industry today --- including the hypocrisy of so many of the more vocal "fans", who scream bloody murder if a comma is misplaced, but who embrace the Flavor of the Month who is trashing everything in sight.

JMS changes Spider-Man's whole backstory, and a cheer goes up. Stupid fans read CHAPTER ONE and say I "replaced" Peter's microscope with a computer (I didn't) and demand my immediate execution.

No wonder this industry is fuct up.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 12  

1963 Spider-Man: Teenage high school student living with his aunt who had money problems. Much like "Buffy," his battles were very much a metaphor for adolesence itself.

Wasn't his peak popularit the Romita years? When he was in college, living with Harry and had two hot babes around at all times? Still had tons of problems and angst and was still young but these weren't the Ditko years either.

If fans rejected the idea of "this isn't Peter Parker and all of these stories did not happen to the real deal" why would they accept a story invalidating all of those stories.  Instead of the last 20 years didn't happen to Peter Parker, the last 20 years in effect didn't happen.  I don;t think they'd accept that.

Spider-man just needed some good and or fun stories told about him. When he has that, he is popular.  Married or not. 

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version