Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Pencils to Ink (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

A poster stated (over on Newsarama) that Todd McFarlane's true talents were as an inker, not a penciller; something I agree with.  I remember seeing his pencils for a page; they were almost non-existant.  Always seemed to me that he should have learned anatomy much better before he made the jump of going almost straight to inks.

I can't remember you inking yourself before the FF; you've obviously had anatomical structure mastered for all of your Marvel years of which I am familar.  I'm curious as to what point in your career you had the confidence to make a drastic "shortcut" in pencils to inks.  Or was it before your career at Marvel?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

I inked all my own stuff at Charlton, but it was not until I was a few issues into the FF that I began cutting back on the amount of pencil that went under those inks. I'd switched from X-MEN to FF and continued penciling the latter as I had the former, anticipating Terry Austin to "cross over" with me, as inker. When Terry backed out, Jim Salicrup suggested I ink it myself. Which I did. Over a span of several issues I cut back on those things that I did not need to have in the pencils, in order to ink the pages, and then, one day, finally called Jim and told him that, if he had no problems, I planned to switch to breakdowns from the next issue on. Perhaps it is not a mere coincidence that the issue on which I made the switch was the one Jim claimed to have the best inks of his tenure as editor.*

*And, not, I won't tell you which one it was!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

I still remember at the time of the storyline with Reed Richard's father, Nathaniel, that there was a lettercol where you mentioned that you would be experimenting with your art in issues to come, JB. As I recall, you didn't specify what you were going to be doing that was different, though.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jon Juzan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2006 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

And, not, I won't tell you which one it was!
---------------------------------------------------------- ---------

I wouldn't ask!  With that knowledge, I'm scared I would think I could see the difference.  They worked seemlessly when I originally read them, so that's all that matters.

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2006 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll throw this in here;

JB -
1. When inking with the Faber-Castell PITT (thinking of the recent commissions), do you use it to do detail/hatching as well, or do you use something smaller?

2. Do you use the above pen to fill in large black areas, or do you jump to your sharpie, or something else?

3. On the cover to BOTD 3 (that you inked), the Bat Symbol on Batman's chest is inked hollow, but filled with a grey/black color, whereas other places in the book, it is a solid black.  It seems to me a purposeful design choice, but I'm wondering what situation(s) do you want it solid black vs. leaving it up to the colorist?

4. A request - Understanding full well that you are very busy, is there any chance that in the near future you can post a progression of a page (maybe after it's printed?), with maybe 4 or 6 scans from beginning to final?  I'd (and I'm sure others) love to see how you lay stuff out from beginning to end.  And I completely understand if you are not able to do it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2006 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

1. I mix and match. Depends on what kind of effect I want in the line.

2. I use a larger brush, after having first outlined the finer edges of the black areas.

3. The cover to BitD 3 was colored incorrectly. Batman was supposed to be colored all in shades of red and orange, as he was engulfed in demonfire. Alex corrected this, but he had already sent in the previous version, and DC used the wrong one.

]

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2006 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

Incredible
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thank you for the quick replies.  And I'm guessing the images were in the gallery?  Sorry to not have looked a little more carefully...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2006 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

I could not find them in the Gallery. I uploaded here
directly.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

thank you very much, Mister B.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 January 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

Sorry there's no backgrounds, and the inks are so
scratchy!

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2006 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

Well, we can all hope that one day you put backgrounds and stop that scratchy inking(I guess we'll just have to live with what you do now until then).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version