Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: OT: Racist Comic? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ok, a customer of mine, and an all-around great guy, Vince Stone, sent me a link to a news article about a comic book series he used to work on as the artist called "Captain Confederacy." The comic was originally published by a small comic book publisher in the 1980s, and was later published by Marvel as part of the Epic line in the early 1990s.

It is the story about how the South won the Civil War and had their own superheroes. It is not a racist comic, but, in fact, a comic that deals with racism and how it is wrong, using an alternate reality to make its' point.

A mother bought the comic for her child and gave it to him for Christmas. The child, not understanding the comic, brought it to his mother's attention. She is now complaining that the comic is racist. Wanna bet she didn't actually read it? She obviously ignored the title when she bought it, after all.

Here's the article:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060106 /NEWS01/601060320/1001'

Has anyone else read this series?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Oh, I forgot to mention (though it is mentioned in the article), Marvel declined comment but mentioned that they didn't produce the comic in-house. Nice way to stand by the series. But, then, the comic last came out in 1991, so nobody at Marvel has probably read it, or knows what it was really about.

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

I read the second issue (B&W) of the original series and liked it very much.  I'd heard that Marvel had published a color version, but I never found any.  I liked it and didn't find it to be racist, or at least not as racist as, say, Soul Plane.  I'd like to read it again if I can find the issues.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

The mother in question: "I'd actually like to see whoever is writing this to stop putting out this offensive material," Boswell, 55, said. "The way they're doing this, it can really warp some young minds."

No, I'd actually like to see a parent look through what they are going to purchase (you know, a character wearing the Confederate Flag on the cover of a comic called "Captain Confederacy") to determine if their child would be ready for an adult examination, a "What If...?" if you will, of history instead of blindly purchasing something because it's cheap, not looking through it for content, and using it as a stocking stuffer.  Wow! Novel concept, parenting.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

We live in a country in which someone can be called
a "racist" for using ("the N-word") to say it's a bad
word!

People are --- what's that term? FUCKING IDIOTS.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

[checks the color of his sweater. It's red.] Hey, I know
people, and I take offense at that statement!

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

Never read it or even heard of it

On the broader point the mother made, I do think there is some responsibility on behalf of companies in the product they put out-a sort of social or global responsibility-especially in superhero form.

On this comic, I would wonder why Captain Confederacy and the costume and all didn't raise a red flag to her-

to check the contents to see if (a) racist or (b) if not, if the point might be lost on her child, due to age and/or maturity.

She may have just grabbed a whole bunch of them for $1 or .50 cents or whatever.  But she didn;'t have to make a federal case of it

Man I should have contacted Bill O'Reilly about that Wolverine issue where the nazis are America. Sheesh! Oh well, never did find the issue

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

There is a movie coming out that goes with a similar approach. What if the south won the war.http://www.csathemovie.com/

As to the comic and the concerned mother. It must be nice in her little world if she has nothing else to complain about but a comic that is 15 years old. She obviously is fabulously wealthy and has everything a person would desire. The only other explanation is that she is an annoying crank. That couldn't be it, right?

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 9  

Every day, more and more people want to complain about something, and the media are more than happy to make it national news.

Bill Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

What was the term...niggardly?  From a few years ago.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

Bill, are you talking about the politician that got in trouble for using the word because too many ignorant people didn't know it isn't a racist term?

John Price
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

I have the series, and it's not a racist comic. Heck, even as you can see by this cover the second Captain Confederacy was a black woman.                                                      

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version