Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Spider-man costume -red and black? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

I always called them eye beams myself.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Matt, JB won't like you even more if you try too hard to prove an incorrect point.  Take a look at your color pickers- just because there is some percentage of the primary colors in a sample doesn't make the effect blue.  You CAN see the difference between your color picker sample and the blue represented in Cyclops' outfit and Nightcrawler's skin for example?  In your first sample, blue is all the way to the right.  You're in the grey (which is what I said a shiny black outfit would highlight as).  In your second example, blue isn't even on the color picker!  As for Darth Vader, are you seriously going to use that mistake-laden cover as proof?  Luke's holding a red lightsaber too!  Here's some examples of how colored light reflects off of black, which is obviously what Vader's outfit is.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Matt, JB won't like you even more if you try too hard to prove an incorrect point.

•••

Matt is proving the correct point. Even out here in the real world, shiny black reflects different colored hi-lites. The woman reclining on the car is clearly in black, but if she was a comicbook character…

…there are people who would insist she was dressed in blue.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

Greg, the highlights on Darth Vader's outfit was regularly colored as blue before the computer age of coloring (I notice you picked only Darkhorse comics from the past decade or more recent).

Darth Vader first appeared in a movie, so readers "know" that his outfit is black. Had it been the other way around (he started in comics first), you would be telling us he wore a blue outfit (or even green, based on the cover to Marvel's first issue!).

Edit to add: And about the Marvel cover I posted... Do you really think that the colorist and the editor thought the outfit was blue? I'm pretty sure they knew it was black, which is why, in those pre-computer-coloring days, they chose blue for the highlights. Which is the point that JB and I, and others are making to begin with, that you are disputing.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 21 September 2007 at 1:42pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

Greg wrote:
...reflecting the natural light above as whitish highlights...

Greg wrote:
...Matt, JB won't like you even more if you try too hard to prove an incorrect point....

What? Those are whitish highlights? They are shades of blue and such. The highlights sure aren't pure black, are they?

Kevin Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Here's my two bits on the subject, with a little story to go along with it. (short I promise)

I collect statues and action figures. Not a LOT just the ones I really like. My collection is very ecclectic.

One of my favorite items is a Justice Batman figure based on Alex Ross' designs.A BEEYOO-tiful figure. And , it's black and gray; just like Batman is supposed to be. But you won't believe the number of people who are livid because they want the figure to be "true to the comics", and be painted in blue and black. One even went so far as to paint his figure in those colors. (same guy also painted his 1950's Batmobile with the same shade of blue. But that's another story)

Now, John is correct in that the blue in most character's costumes are there as a highlight. Comic book colouring (old style, limited pallet) shorthand to represent a sheen, and probably just to add some contrast to what would be a boring big black blob of ink were it left solid black.

But some people, for whatever reason, it translates as "blue costume'. They perceive it as such, and it sticks with them.

And my thoughts on this topic? So what! If they really think it's blue (or whatever color), then fine, for them it's blue. Doesn't mean a thing to me when it comes to my enjoyment of the hobby. I sit down and read my comics, or look at my figures, and I enjoy the hell out of them. I don't care if Joe Blow in Peoria thinks Batman wears blue and gray, or Storm wears white. That's just the way his brain perceives it. It may be weird, or "wrong", but really, who cares? He's probably enjoying his comics and figures and whatever just as much as I am.

And besides lots of us have ideas about things that are "wrong". My Grandmama used to think "Rasslin" was as real as could be, and yet thought NASA faked the  Moon landing. But I loved her just the same.

Edited by Kevin Hanson on 21 September 2007 at 3:02pm

Corey Morgan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

Josh Smith wrote:
Cyclops should just blast her with his laser - I always hated that story cause of that. That Uncanny 201, right?

Just blasting Storm with his optic blasts was easier said than done in that fight.  

In this specific picture, Cyclops couldn't blast her because It appears that Storm had intentionally forced Cyclops' arm over his visor, thereby preventing him from blasting Storm without shooting his own arm off. 

If I remember correctly, Cyclops and Storm fought it out in the Danger Room, in an environment where Storm had lots of places to hide.  Since Cyclops couldn't shoot around corners, his powers were prettymuch useless and he was forced to try to track her down on foot.  Storm took him by surprise (as seen in the picture above), and being more agile then Cyclops, was simply able to keep from standing directly in front of him, and eventually snatched his visor off entirely.  Scott then gave up.  Sounded pretty plausible to me.

-Corey

Edited by Corey Morgan on 21 September 2007 at 3:03pm

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Is Cyclops' blast comparable to Iron Man's repulsor ray?

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I'm told Kirby originally wanted the beam to be blue."

You mean black, right?

JUST KIDDING!

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

Greg said:
Here's a good scan of a pre-photoshop era color comparison.  Storm's punk outfit is shiny black leather, and the highlights found on her form are white as they should be.  Cyclops is blue, with the portions of him away from lighting represented with shadow.

Maybe this is not a very good scan to get your point across.  The light seems to have no source or at least not be very consistent.

yuck...

oh and on Scott's "Optic Blast"
I remember two explanations...
1) He absorbs cosmic rays and much as a flower does during photosynthesis he converts it to another form of energy, his beams.  I prefer this one as it makes it more plausible that  he would share an immunity with Alex to one anothers powers.
2) from OHTMU his eyes are "windows" to another demension etc..

not a fan of the second one...any insight on why they would change it?

D-
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stan Lomisceau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

thanks mr. hawes for so many great teacher on this subject. when you have looked at those pictures and still say it is blue than you are crazy or have a real bad crusade for mr. byrne. thanks for you mr, hawes. it is an ice job!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

"I'm told Kirby originally wanted the beam to be blue."
++
You mean black, right?
••
Well, that would have been VERY cool!

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic