Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: First Class - 08.15.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Really great piece, love the angle.  Really love those uniforms, they just look right.
As for the idea that the mutants look like us, that's something I could buy as to the hysteria surrounding mutants in the Marvel Universe.  The hating of mutants was always something that I couldn't really figure out as a kid, because I remember thinking, what's the difference between the New X-Men and any other super team?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think this shows if handled right the original concept for the X-men could have been awesome, no need for individual costumes, secondary mutations, arch-versions, or phoenix forces.
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's is awesome.  The way artists' "mind's eyes" work amazes me.  I never would've been able to visualize that cover from any other angle.  Let alone one as dynamic as this.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great piece!

I was first introduced to the "new" X-Men, so the original team always feels a bit "exotic" to me, even though I've now known them for decades.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Amazing as usual .

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Adam beat me to it......the different point of view really does it for me. Well done!

Edited by William Roberge on 15 August 2010 at 8:08pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Great minds, William. :)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Artistic Musings: Working on this piece I found myself thinking, not for the first time, about how winged characters in comics seem to float more than fly. This was literally true of the Silver Age Hawkman, whose belt of "antigravity metal" provided lift, while his wings were strictly for maneuvering. But others, like Angel, or Sauron, or Man-Bat, or any of the winged folk, depended on those wings to keep them airborne -- which meant those wings would need to be constantly FLAPPING. And not slow, gentle strokes, either! Sure, they could sometimes glide, but for those "hovering" shots, like in this image (and the cover that inspired it) they'd have to be beating up a storm. Really! The force of air generated would surely be formidable!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Awesome. I've been reading the original stories recently (many for the very first fime), and have been loving them. This was my favorite version of the team when I was a kid, and it still is.

By the way, why no solid black for the Beast's uniform? Maybe it's because I'm really tired and missing something obvious, but it seems rather incongruous! Sure, his outfit would need to be looser than the others', but it really stands out compared to the solid black on the others!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB Wrote
During the time their book was in reprint limbo, the team made severalguest appearances in other books. And some of those were in the schooluniforms. So my task was to explain WHY!
---
I remember a few issues of Captain America where they wore the old costumes. It would've been fun to see a different side to those stories and maybe even the more werewolf style Beast!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 3:32am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

By the way, why no solid black for the Beast's uniform? Maybe it's because I'm really tired and missing something obvious, but it seems rather incongruous! Sure, his outfit would need to be looser than the others', but it really stands out compared to the solid black on the others!

••

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There's something to be said about the original X-Men here.  What other super-team gets its start at a private boarding school, complete with matching costumes?  The theme of mutants being something radically different from the average sci-fi / magic spawned superhero also appealed to me as a pimply-faced teenager.

It's a pleasing feeling to see that I'm not alone in being of a generation who grew up with the "new" X-Men that John Byrne was drawing at the time, but can look back at these kids and think "They're also cool!"

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version