Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Fall! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137150
Posted: 25 September 2026 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My house has four heating zones, requiring four AC units. I have been slowly replacing them since I moved in 21 years ago. Only one original left.

Reminds me of when I replaced the furnace in my previous house. The house had been built in 1845, and the unit was about as big as a Volkswagen, with huge pipes and doors. When it was removed I had the front left leaning against a wall. Don’t know if it’s still there.

The unit that replaced it was about the size of a steamer trunk.

Back to Top profile | search
 
Jonathan Kaye
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 12 September 2008
Posts: 131
Posted: 25 September 2026 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The unit that replaced it was about the size of a steamer trunk.

***

I recall you mentioning some childhood transatlantic trips, and it occurs to me that those would have been on honest-to-goodness steamships!
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137150
Posted: 25 September 2026 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yup. The Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and RMSIvernia.

Quite the adventures for a lad of 3, 5 and 7!

Back to Top profile | search
 
Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 17 March 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 16543
Posted: 25 September 2026 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was in London (the UK, not Ontario) on Monday and I was warm in T-shirt and shorts even in the evening. Got back to Canada and yesterday the low was 3 degrees C!

Still managed to go for a lake swim today though.

We have had a strange phenomenon this year where the leaves on our horse chestnut tree have been falling since mid August! All the maples are still green leaves though.
Back to Top profile | search
 
James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 21 September 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 8689
Posted: 25 September 2026 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

We have just had the most spectacular orange sunset.
It’s going to be warm tomorrow
Back to Top profile | search e-mail
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137150
Posted: 28 September 2026 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Curious thing about my three Atlantic crossing, more than two weeks at sea, in total. I have no memory of going out on deck to watch sunsets.

The second trip was the worst crossing on record, which might explain why we stayed “indoors”!

Back to Top profile | search
 
Evan S. Kurtz
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 July 2022
Location: Canada
Posts: 455
Posted: 28 September 2026 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've never crossed the ocean on a liner, although I've proposed the idea to my wife before as a family vacation.

But when I was 12, my brother arranged for me to join him aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, the aircraft carrier on which he served. They few us out to Bermuda by plane, and from there by helicopter to the Eisenhower itself. I recall that the Eisenhower had more firepower aboard than all of World War II combined, though that might not actually be true.

On the voyage, I briefly got to see the bridge of the carrier. I recall needing to constantly wash my hands because I touched everything and everything was pretty dirty. Sleeping in the crew corridors was bizarre, because there were no windows, so no real sense of time down there. Oh, and I got tonsillitis which wasn't treated until we reached our destination in Virginia. 
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137150
Posted: 28 September 2026 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When I was 4 I was afflicted with osteomyelitis (nearly lost my right leg below the knee). I was released from the hospital on my fifth birthday, and a few weeks later we headed back to England. By then I had been fitted with a “walking cast” and so bounced around the ship, exploring.

The cast was finally removed in England, just before I started school.

Back to Top profile | search
 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login