Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Question for JB. Unused X-Men plots Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here is part of the interview from The Art of John Byrne, which I (mis)paraphrased earlier in this thread lol. This details the plans John had for the new, smaller Sentinel pictured with Gyrich in this thread. As I said earlier, the plot almost sounds like what they're doing in Civil War right now. John pointed out that it sounded like he was talking about the plot of "Days of Future Past," but this sounds like he was talking about a present-day scenario:

"There will be new Sentinels...They'll be coming out of the Hellfire Club, which is a sequence that is beginning now. The X-Men will trash the Hellfire Club, without realizing that the Hellfire Club is a legitimate organization. You "join the Hellfire Club" ... it's a nice thing to be in. Its only the inner circle that are the bad guys. One of the members of the Hellfire Club is Mastermind, and he will cloak everything so that when the X-Men come in swinging, people can't see that they're fighting bad guys, they just see them trashing this businessmen's club, of which, for example, Warren Worthington's father was a member. Since members of the Hellfire Club are high ranking doctors, lawyers, senators, congressmen, they will sit and say, "Well, these X-Men characters, they say they were good guys, and they just trashed this businessmen's club!" So there's going to be a sub-plot almost, of Sentinels, which will be man-sized. They will probably be built by someplace like Stark International, so these will not be putzy Sentinels. Or Cross Technologies, or one of the biggies that we've got, to establish that these are not whimpo Sentinels, these are tough Sentinels. And the thing that we're not going to do of course, is this will not lead to a big X-Men/Sentinels battle issue. This will be like a constant menace, an anti-mutant police force. We'll be coordinating with the Avengers, so that the Beast and the Scarlet Witch are required to wear bleepers in their costumes, or something so that people know where they are at all times. ... we're gonna keep mutants so that we know where they are! They've demonstrated that they are bad. Then of course, we'll clear them sooner or later, and then the Sentinels will go away. We'll be doing little stories with the X-men chasing, say, Unus he Untouchable. They crash into where ever Unus is, "We're gonna trash him now!"...and he's gone. There's a big hole in the wall, because the Sentinels go there first. It will be like that until we reveal that there are Sentinels out there..."

Edited by Ethan Riley on 01 September 2006 at 1:38am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Historical error in that timeline Cory posted. It was not Chris and me who decided against the new students -- it was Shooter, who declared them the "Legion of Substitute X-Men" and killed the idea --- until a few years later it became his idea, in the form of the New Mutants.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't see why they can't just have her control Phoenix and be upgraded to god status or something. She's dead now anyway. :/ If only they'd stop bringing her back.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

RE: Ethan's excerpt above -

Too bad this storyline was never followed. It would have been cool to have that story arc go on for a while.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

oops, and RE: Cory's new find -

What does it say in the rest of the article? "Finally Claremont and Byrne settled on a . . ."???

". . . plan of action"?

". . . restaurant for lunch"?

". . . date for their final duel"?

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

". . . plot of land and raised potatoes and chinchillas"?

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I just started rereading the X-Men Omnibus. This thread has got me longing for the glory days of the X-Men.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wasn't issue #150 when Jean and Scott were going to get married?

As originally plotted, depowered Jean was to be left with the intellectual level of a four year old. So...ewww!

No doubt that would have been temporary.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The robot contains a 40 megaton nuclear device, timed to go off at Midnight when everyone in the mansion is asleep.  Maybe Prof. 'X' and Jean can be conviently away from the mansion at the time, so they cannot read "Cyclops" mind and discover he is a robot.  SInce he is asleep, Colussus will be in human form so he would not survive either...

How is that an Arcade style attack? Anybody could do that. What makes it unique to Arcade?

I thought just the notion of a Cyclops robot, impersonating the original just screamed Arcade.  Seems to me Chris Claremont even did a story like that once, with X-Men robots in Murderworld.  Maybe that's where I got that notion from.  The bomb thing I just added.  Too mundane, I guess. 

Edited by Darren De Vouge on 01 September 2006 at 3:44pm

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Maybe it was an attack planned by Arcade's sister, Penny...

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

According to Cory's post it sounds like there was an idea to have Phoenix return and tempt Jean to take on the power again-- and I recall this being part of the planned Magneto battle in X-Men 150.

But the article goes on to say JB didn't like the idea of having Phoenix as a recurring villain because (quite logically) the Phoenix is too powerful to defeat.

But I'm confused because the original plan of separating Jean and Phoenix was pencilled and lettered before things had to be revised. 

If Shooter had supported this original version, was the plan at the time to ever bring Phoenix back? 

edit: corrected spelling of Cory's name

Edited by Mark Haslett on 02 September 2006 at 12:51pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 September 2006 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I thought just the notion of a Cyclops robot, impersonating the original just screamed Arcade.

Arcade is the only Marvel villain who uses robots?

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version