Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: "Fine" art steals from comics...again (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

That Thor painting is intriguing, especially the folded over cover showing the comics code logo and the juxtaposition of the subsequent page with the "we're witnessing something no human eyes have seen before" panel.

At the same time her beautifully reproduced pages and visual distortions fall flat for my tastes as the 'comic book' looks and feels like it has a total of three impossibly white pages. 

All of the debate on whether it's 'good' or 'bad' art is rendered moot by the fact that the original artists and writers are not credited, not even subliminally or in a roundabout way in the title.

What really chews my ass though are the microbrains who think the real art created here is not what's on the canvas but the controversy and the subsequent internet clamor surrounding it.  'Performance Art' sometimes is just a more polite way of saying "I'm trolling, have you taken the bait yet?".
Back to Top profile | search

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 2  

It is interesting to note that  there is an ever expanding alternative to mainstream "avant garde" art. Schools here in Florence having been training artists in figurative art for the past 30 years and these students are slowy gaining success. A couple of my favs:

Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 2:43am | IP Logged | 3  

Yeah, Ok, the effect is good - the turning of the page. But, no credit to the actual artist of the page? Naughty, naughty.

And are these paint or photo manipulation? I couldn't be bothered to read.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 4:16am | IP Logged | 4  

So, Nathan! Which one of the 3 art pieces was the one you chose as avatar? I can't tell by the picture, I think it might be out of focus.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 5  

I've never really taken modern art seriously.  Not since they started going overboard with the avant-garde stuff and moving away from the portraits and paintings that used to be considered "mainstream".  Now, all of that is tucked away in a corner while we have to walk through halls stuffed with stuff that is... puzzling to find any beauty in.

The whole use of art as "commentary" is another matter that turns me away from museums these days.  If you have a comment to make about something, use your own damned imagination, damn it...

Finally, it might be okay to make a statement about how the traditional comics medium is disappearing, but I come from the "glass half-full" angle of it.  As long as there are people out there who still want one, comics will be written, drawn, and published.  It's just that most will also be digitally reproduced on computer screens across the world now, rather than printed on recycled paper.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 6  

Here's a point to ponder: if these pieces are "art", why are there websites devoted to excoriating Rob Liefeld for doing essentially the same thing? Is this kind of swiping permissible only when someone OUTSIDE the comicbook profession does it?

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 7  

Finally, it might be okay to make a statement about how the traditional comics medium is disappearing

That interpretation pops up in this thread a few times.  And, I guess it's a knock on my ability to interpret art, but I don't see it.  Art is subjective, I know, but I don't see this piece as any species of commentary on comic books moving to digital whatever.  Even the artist interview framing seems like nickel store pop psychology.  Just some artist ripping off comic artists and getting e-famous for doing so.  File this under ehm for meh.

This is akin to bragging on the internet for being the guy who converts Mozart into Muzak and tacking on some post-modern trope about transitions to new media to justify it.  Or not akin.  I'm medicated today....

Edited by Craig Robinson on 19 December 2011 at 10:29am

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 8  

And, let's even say that IS a great statement and a great way to execute it...why not do your OWN artwork for the comic panels? Too many artists today have the "vision" but are too lazy (or lack the talent) to put in the work. So they just swipe what's already there. And too many people accept that. In my opinion, the vision and the craft have to go hand in hand.

Edited by Joel Tesch on 19 December 2011 at 11:12am

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 9  

If it is art, heck my son had a whole museum under his bed with all his comics strewn about.

But this is not art, this happens because for years and years, we have made art classes, basically the "fun" class in school. The easy A. Not saying art classes shouldn't be fun, heck teaching math should be fun and interesting (I hate math so I have no idea how you do that), but with art classes there are as many rules and formulas as chem class.

Anatomy class should be one of the very first classes taught in art, teach proportions of muscles or bone structure. Teach about the body in motion. But for the love of art, grade the work accordingly, do not just give an A for effort.

Modern art by a well trained artist can be amazing, they make it look so effortless and thought provoking. But I just do not see it in this piece and the rash of pawning off someone else's work as your own, seems to flooded the market these days.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 10  

This is my favorite Andrew Wyeth, I spent forever looking at how he was able to capture the curtains with their movement and lacy transparency.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 11  

I'd like to see her try that with a Disney (Uncle Scrooge etc) book.  Wonder how far she'd get passing that creation off as her own?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2011 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Wonder how far she'd get passing that creation off as her own? "

Well, she'd basically be bankrupted before she even got to court.

Even Carl Barks, creator of Uncle Scrooge and 90% of all the other characters that populate Duckburg, the guy who developed the one-note cartoons (with no slight intended to Al Taliaferro, whose work on the comics strip also developed the character further) into a comics universe more expansive and popular than the Marvel Universe and DC combined (outside the US), needed a license from Roy Disney himself in order to make and sell oil paintings of the Ducks.

In modern times, Don Rosa couldn't sell his original art for most of his career, due to contract limitations, but he did receive a license to create and sell prints for comics conventions.

In "Men of Tomorrow", Gerard Jones attributes the decision of the DC publisher to not pursue plagiarism charges against Lichtenstein to the sense of social approval that came with "Pop Art" and the "transformation" of comics into "proper subjects for art". 

They got to hang with the cool kids for a while, so they bent over and took it. Disney, however, never gave a damn about being cool.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version