Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Normalizing relations w/ Cuba (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

I wonder if with this actions the US government will stop issuing Green Cards to Cuban refugees that manage to reach US territory?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

I wonder if with this actions the US government will stop issuing Green Cards to Cuban refugees that manage to reach US territory?

•••

That's a very interesting question! At what point does a refugee become an illegal alien?

Back to Top profile | search

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 3  

Applicants for refugee status must be able to prove that is they return to their home country, thy'll be injured because of their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or their political opinion. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

What I see here in Brazil, a country that is growing fast to the left with a ruling party (PT - workers party) aligned with Venezuela, Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador and, of course, their master Cuba.

I cannot see how the new status will improve the lives of Cubans, since any initiative to start improving their own lives is forbidden.

It is a communist dictatorship, people are not free to think and can be arrested if they voice opinions that could go against their government.

Many are now saying that USA is "endorsing" their dictatorship. I think it is disgusting. And I don't see how it could change.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Joseph Gauthier, I agree with your first comment, the logic of this decision is hard to understand, but Cuba is not only supported by Venezuela in Latin America.
Unfortunately, my country is giving the Castro Brothers a lot of support. The ruling party won the elections this year in Brazil (by a small percentage) and will continue to support Cuba.
In the recent years, the Brazilian federal government created a shameful program to bring Medical Doctors from Cuba and, as a result of this program Brazil is paying USD 500 million to Cuba every year (note that Cuban government receives around USD 5.000 per month for each doctor working here and the Cuban doctors receive less than USD 500 as salary, some sort of slavery sponsored by Brazil).
I don't think it was a good timing, and I don't think it will improve the lives of Cubans.
The comunists in Latin America created an organization in the early 90's called "Foro de São Paulo" it was created by Fidel Castro and Lula (former Brazilian President and strong contender for next election in 2018). They have taken over Latin America and nowadays almost 100% of the countries in the continent are being governed by leaders from this organization. They even have a plan to a future unification of the region, that is why they call themselves Bolivarian (refering to Simon Bolívar who wanted to unify Latin America into one single country). Scary stuff.

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

How could it not improve the lives of Cubans?  Cubans will get access to products, food and medicine that they have not had access to in a long time or ever.  

Instead of asking why now, ask why not sooner?  The embargo only punished regular Cubans, and forced the Cuban government to strengthen relationships with the USSR and Venezuela.  It's far better to try to have a good relationship with other countries instead of shutting down all communication.  

I've been to Cuba and various other countries in the Caribbean.  The worst poverty I saw was not in Cuba.  I definitely felt safer in Cuba then I did in Mexico or Jamacia.  Cuba has the second lowest infant mortality rate in the Caribbean and has a lower rate than the USA.  

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 7  

Randy, how they will have access to products if they don't have resources to access these products? The Cuban government do not allow them to start a business to improve their lives and force them to live on their ridiculous wages. I am telling you, the Cuban doctors earn USD 5.000 from the Brazilian government, but the Cuban government (who receives the payment directly from Brazil) only transfer them USD 500. (that they have to use it to live in poor condition in Brazil).
Cuban government relations with URSS, North Korea or Venezuela (and now Brazil) only happened because of their common communist beliefs, not because of the embargo. The blame for the poor situation of the Cuban population (or North Korea) is their own government, not USA or the Democratic nations. There is a big lie on the child mortality rates, the highest rate of abortions in America is in Cuba. I don't buy these statistics more than I buy the ones fabricated by Argentina (read about the lack of trust in their statistics). Anyway, Cuba is a vicious dictatorship based upon a disgusting theory that proved wrong for more than 40 years and were you are not allowed to go against anything the government imposes. I still think it is bad timing, this will only improve the lives of the dictators, not the civilian population.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 8  

Thank You, Marcio !

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 9  

Since Raul took over, the government stopped paying some people wages/pensions which forces those people to start their own business which the government turned a blind eye too.  I walked the streets of Havana and saw many Cubans with designer clothes and cell phones.  I asked my tour guide about them and he said they were 'bad' Cubans that worked in the black market. The embargo hurt the people more than the government.  I separate the two groups myself.  
The USA trades with countries that do worse things to their people than Cuba so I don't see why Cuba is singled out for punishment.  The regime before Castro which the American government supported wasn't big into human rights either.  

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 10  

The USA trades with countries that do worse things to their people than Cuba so I don't see why Cuba is singled out for punishment.
+++
This is so outrageous, I think I am not going to waste my time trying to answer.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 11  

Decades of sanctions have not resulted in a change in the Castro
regime. It does not work. Unilateral economic sanctions seem pointless
when Cuba sees trade and tourism dollars coming in from everyone
else, even close US allies like Canada and Europe.

I think allowing Cubans to interact with the exile American community
and allowing Cubans to come over here for schooling will do more to
effect change than whatever the embargo has been trying to do.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

Marcio Ferreira wrote:
There is a big lie on the child mortality rates, the highest rate of abortions in America is in Cuba.

Cuba is 42nd out of 224 nations in infant mortality, with 4.7 deaths per 1000 live births.  The USA is 56th, at 6.17.  Abortions are not a factor in calculating infant mortality rates.

[Source: CIA World Factbook.  Published by the CIA.  While it may not be an unimpeachably impartial source, it is hardly biased toward Cuba.]

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version