Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Comic Book Resources Top 100 Writers and Artists (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

I usually enjoy their lists, mainly because I'm curious what other fans think.

That being said, I can't take them to seriously when you see the names on the list and think of artists like Dave Stevens, Dan DeCarlo, Russ Heath, Gray Morrow, Art Spiegelman and Bernie Wrightson, and wonder how they got left off.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't mind JH Williams III being in the top 10. He's a superb artist and his layouts are inventive and fun. Sandman Overture has been worth it every penny.

Quitely's All Star Superman was wonderful, but his penchance for drawing each individual (and stubby) tooth on everyone kind of bugs me. His process was shown on a BBC documentary last year. It was an interesting workflow.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2014 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

My vote goes to any artist who either changes the way we look at comic art or are so good they remain popular across generations.

•••

Well, I'm out!

Ha, I think you qualify in both areas.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 4  

Thinking about it more, it's staggering the names left off of this list. It's
not 100 artists and 100 writers. It's the top 50 of each. They do have a
criteria that they be known for comic books not comic strips. That's
such a complete reversal of what the comic world used to be.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 5  

Gotcha, Jason. Thanks for the clarification.

Preaching to the choir, but these kinds of lists make me think it is a slow day in the news.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'll single out McFarlane. I don't think he is famous or influential for his artistic skill, he is just famous for being famous.

Some artists are so incredibly talented that they'll make an impact in any era, under any conditions.  There are quite a few artists in this list who were in exactly the right place at exactly the right time.  I was talking about Todd McFarlane and Rob Liefeld with an industry vet the other day, and we agreed that those are two guys who had everything line up perfectly for a while.  They found the right editors, landed the right books, and did it right when the perfect audience for their work was coming up.

It's easy enough now to look through Liefeld's New Mutants or McFarlane's Amazing Spider-Man and pick out the million things that just don't make sense in any given page, but it's not hard to see why those books jumped off the comics rack in the late eighties and early nineties.

There were some interesting, and occasionally inspired, choices on the rest of the list, although the rankings always leave something to be desired.  Which is the point of lists like this, to cause discussion.  Jaime Hernandez and Alex Toth should be right up there with David Mazzuchelli, and Joe Kubert should obviously be toward the top of a top 50 artists list, not the bottom. 

And while Steve Ditko's career is usually boiled down to less than four years of it, it's hard to overstate how much impact Spider-Man and Doctor Strange had and continue to have on superhero comics.  Sure, Steranko changed everything with just a handful of comics, but did Alex Ross?  Or John Cassaday?  

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

Andrew, that I agree with.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

It's easy enough now to look through Liefeld's New Mutants or McFarlane's Amazing Spider-Man and pick out the million things that just don't make sense in any given page, but it's not hard to see why those books jumped off the comics rack in the late eighties and early nineties.

•••

Evidently it was not so easy for McFarlane to see. I grew so tired of him telling us all that his success was entirely of his own creation -- very much like a championship surfer taking credit for the wave.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

The right creative team on the right book with the right editor...every once in a while, everything aligns and we get a book for the ages.  If someone at Marvel hadn't decided to bring the X-Men back with a new, international lineup, if someone hadn't given Chris Claremont a shot at writing, if someone hadn't had the bright idea of teaming up John Byrne and Terry Austin...there are an awful lot of what-ifs in comics.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

If someone at Marvel hadn't decided to bring the X-Men back with a new, international lineup, if someone hadn't given Chris Claremont a shot at writing, if someone hadn't had the bright idea of teaming up John Byrne and Terry Austin...

•••

We wouldn't have gotten another cult book that struggled along barely a step ahead of cancellation until the speculators arrived.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

A "cult book," maybe, but one like the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow that had an influence far beyond its sales figures (or the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams X-Men, for that matter).  And without that cult favorite run on X-Men, you don't get the clout to write and draw the FF, and...

Anyway, at least the CBR readers knew enough to put Jack Kirby at the top of the list, right?  

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

A became aware of Jose Salinas last year and marvelled at
his storytelling ability and anatomy of damn near any
living creature. I wish more comic-readin' folk near about
him. Sadly, I am guessing that this will be true of many of
my favorite comic artists 30 years from now.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version