Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

King MINUS knew about how deadly this virus was and still lied about its impact.

We all can scream, hollar, bitch, and moan til the cows come home. But unless every eligible voter get out and VOTE BLUE UP & DOWN THE FUCKING BALLOT, we are all going to be FUCKED.

Edited by James Johnson on 09 September 2020 at 10:23am
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Eric Ladd, here are some links regarding the faithless electors in the 2016 election:

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If you go back to pp. 326, 327 in this thread, there is some discussion about changes in interpretation of the law regarding faithless electors.

The Supreme Court ruled this year in Chiafolo vs Washington that a state may enforce an elector's pledge to support his party's nominee -- and therefore the state voter's choice -- for President.

Kevin Brown maintains this means faithless electors are no more.

I don't interpret the ruling quite the same way. But I am not a lawyer and what I think doesn't count. This article tallies with my view though:

Namely, "If the court has its way, there will be no risk of a faithless elector being a wild card in this year's election. Unfortunately, it is not so simple. The justices’ ruling permits states to prevent faithless electors, but it does not require that they do so."

Edited by Peter Martin on 09 September 2020 at 11:02am

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I agree with Chris about this:

The Democrats had two broad strategies they could have pursued this year:
1.  nominate a moderate candidate and attempt to reclaim the swing state Obama voters who switched to Trump in 2016.
2.  nominate a progressive candidate and attempt to generate sufficient excitement to attract the votes of progressives who didn't vote in 2016.

The problem is they've tried to do both of these at the same time, and they're failing at both. 

Biden is historically a moderate, but he's characterized himself as a transitional candidate, so a lot of people see this as Trump v. Harris.  Harris is neither moderate nor charismatic.  The prospect of a Harris presidency will not win over swing voters.

On top of that, Biden made a lot of concessions to the Sanders campaign, prompting Sanders to speculate that Biden will be the most progressive president in history.  But now Biden is walking those concessions back, and progressives are feeling betrayed again.  

With Trump, voters know exactly what they are getting, and even if they don't like his persona, that gives him an advantage.  One of the biggest thing that hurt Clinton is the trust factor.  Biden is creating that same type of problem for himself.  

As far as "rogue electors" go, the Supreme Court only said that states have the authority to force electors to obey state laws regarding how they are supposed to vote.  Some states don't have laws that address this.  And even if they do, the court's decision doesn't mandate that states enforce the law.  So the case is a step in the direction of eliminating rogue electors, but its far from a done deal.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's good to know that of the 5 "rogue electors" who went against Hillary didn't tip the balance, it would've just been 299 instead of 304. Nontheless you add that in with the irregularities in counts of a few key states, the Russian propaganda echoed by Trump and other Republicans, the sheer amount of outrage provocation with half-truths allowed in the media generally... no wonder he was so extremely sensitive about being seen as illegitimate from the very start! If Bush jr. is still questionable as having actually bested Gore, then Trump is a total fraud on that scale with the millions more that we know about just in the well administrated states having voted for his opponent. JFK was probably somewhere between those two where he depended on organized crime for many of his votes... so not a new thing, but there has been that much more time to get it right, not get it wronger and wronger.

If Trump was so focused on the economy he threw the public health under the bus for, why was he so stupid as to not promote mask wearing to the hilt as something that would've aided his desire to restart and reopen a.s.a.p.? The only thing I can come up with is his spray-on 'tan' being exposed, but as ludicrous as that might be it's more ludicrous that he would be the main drum-beater for anti-maskers! I guess he might really have been just that stupid though. I'm not sure how much of the economy would benefit from the drive to reopen schools either. That's something else he has been fixated on that I don't understand the importance he gives it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John Wickett wrote:
On top of that, Biden made a lot of concessions to the Sanders campaign, prompting Sanders to speculate that Biden will be the most progressive president in history.  But now Biden is walking those concessions back, and progressives are feeling betrayed again.

Two questions: 

1) What specific concessions did Biden make that he's walked back, and to which specific degrees?

2) When do progressives NOT feel betrayed?  It's like the default mode.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Some states don't have laws that address this.  And even if they do, the court's decision doesn't mandate that states enforce the law.  So the case is a step in the direction of eliminating rogue electors, but its far from a done deal.
--------------------------------
Yes, this is how I understand it as well.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

“When do progressives NOT feel betrayed?”

Maybe when the establishment stops using a progressive agenda for a bait and switch tactic to make progressive voters think they matter?

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

David Allen Perrin wrote:
Maybe when the establishment stops using a progressive agenda for a bait and switch tactic to make progressive voters think they matter?

All right, admittedly, if I ask a snarky, general question I can only expect to get a snarky, general answer.  But I think (going back to my first question) that a lot of that is based on some emotional truth and not the factual record, specifically with Biden.  If there's some real Bernie policy that Biden fully endorsed, fully adopted, then rejected (even in part), I will stand corrected.

There was a similar weird logic in 2016, where even though Hillary had been pushed significantly left on policy issues by the Bernie revolution, the further left were absolutely convinced that it was all lies and she wasn't going to be true to her word.  We of course won't know, because she didn't take office, but I tend to think that she would have at least made a good faith effort to push through the policies to which she'd committed herself.

And an aside: more power to Bernie for controlling the terms of the conversation to a degree that only people who completely endorse his solutions can be considered 'progressive'.  I sure was surprised when I was told I wasn't one, but what a relief to be relieved of that burden (that's snark, again).

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 09 September 2020 at 2:11pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

He needs to be up On murder charges. This is getting bloody
ridiculous.
& the defence that Fox News is using, asking why Woodward sat on
this, is just ridiculous. Just .....something needs to be done to remove
this guy.
170,000 deaths. Does this make him the biggest mass murderer?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

195,000 deaths as of today.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2020 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Kevin Brown maintains this means faithless electors are no more.

Still maintain it and there's nothing you can say that will change my mind about it.  Period.

Edited by Kevin Brown on 09 September 2020 at 8:54pm

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version