Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Byrne Merch in the wild Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137212
Posted: 05 October 2026 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I wish I could have told 17-year-old me that one day I would own a page from it…

•••

Makes me think of the page of original art from STRANGE TALES ANNUAL 2 that hangs in my studio. Many’s the time I’ve joked about the reaction of my 13 year old self if I could somehow visit him to tell him he would someday own a page from that issue.

I’m sure that with a confused look on his face he’d hold up the newly purchased comic: “But I own all of it! Paid a quarter for it!”

Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8712
Posted: 05 October 2026 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh, I think about that even moreso regarding my AVENGERS ANNUAL #14 page. I couldn't even afford the comic itself, because it was outside of my allowance for the usual monthly buys - so I had to read a classmate's copy in 8th grade math class.

Plus, I was especially heartened to find out fairly recently that the Hercules panel on that page was used in his OHOTMUDE entry!
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 July 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 32286
Posted: 05 October 2026 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Zounds!

One of my all-time favorite pages. So jealous
Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8712
Posted: 05 October 2026 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

At the risk of going off-topic, I've been reading online that Hercules is Gay now*. That one panel would put the lie to that!

*I could see him being Bi, I suppose - given his long life, we've only seen a sliver of it in the comics. Kinda like the stars of WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS - they tended to lean one way sexually for most of their lives, but they were matter-of-fact about going the other way at times. No  big deal was made about it, though.

Bringing things a bit more on-topic, he's also had a romance with Snowbird relatively recently.


Edited by Vinny Valenti on 05 October 2026 at 5:32pm
Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8712
Posted: 05 October 2026 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply



Brian, you'll be pleased to see that I made an effort to keep JB's liner notes from being obscured by the matting, went with a rear-matte instead.


Edited by Vinny Valenti on 05 October 2026 at 5:37pm
Back to Top profile | search
 
James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 21 September 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 8703
Posted: 05 October 2026 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB - I apologise for my crap spelling. I will proofread from now on.
I have two issues - the autocorrect and an iPad whose keyboard appears to
be dying.
Neither are an excuse and I will do better.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail
 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login