| Author |
|
John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy
Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 137200
|
| Posted: 20 September 2026 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 1
|
post reply
|
|
October 1st is the centennial of the former Alberta College of Art. Truth to tell, I feel about this><much need to attend. Aside from a few friends, and learning how to draw circles in perspective, I really didn’t get much from my time there.
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
Evan S. Kurtz Byrne Robotics Member

Joined: 04 July 2022 Location: Canada Posts: 460
|
| Posted: 20 September 2026 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 2
|
post reply
|
|
It’s fascinating to me how many successful creatives gain little-to-no benefit from higher ed. JB, I don’t know how you see yourself, or contemplate your legacy (or if you even think about it in such terms), but I wish more people understood that they don’t need to take on a ton of student loan debt to become successful in a creative field… they just need to be willing to develop a work ethic and study the work and words of those in their field they admire.
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
Michael Penn Byrne Robotics Member

Joined: 12 April 2006 Location: United States Posts: 13383
|
| Posted: 20 September 2026 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 3
|
post reply
|
|
JB, for you as an artist, what percentages does each get: natural talent, practice, learning from others....?
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy
Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 137200
|
| Posted: 20 September 2026 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 4
|
post reply
|
|
Of those three, 50%, 30%, 20%.
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
Evan S. Kurtz Byrne Robotics Member

Joined: 04 July 2022 Location: Canada Posts: 460
|
| Posted: 20 September 2026 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 5
|
post reply
|
|
Besides those three, are there any other ingredients you’d add to this “recipe”?
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy
Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 137200
|
| Posted: 21 September 2026 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 6
|
post reply
|
|
Discipline.
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
Dave Kopperman Byrne Robotics Member

Joined: 27 December 2004 Location: United States Posts: 4198
|
| Posted: 21 September 2026 at 12:44am | IP Logged | 7
|
post reply
|
|
I’ve noticed that natural talent also isn’t a complete set; I came with a baked-in eye for linear perspective, but color sense and anatomy were left on the factory floor. It’s still pretty useful to have at least one cornerstone to work from, though!
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
| www
|
| |
Steven Myers Byrne Robotics Member

Joined: 10 June 2004 Location: United States Posts: 5767
|
| Posted: 21 September 2026 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 8
|
post reply
|
|
Learning and teaching art is harder and harder when you get to a higher level. I knew plenty of students who were obviously more talented than the teachers, and some teachers who had no idea how to teach. An example: my 2nd semester of college, I took a beginners watercolor painting course. We learned techniques (some I'd never even thought of) and had lists of painting subjects we could choose from, having to complete a certain number by the end of the semester. I liked it so much I took the next level watercolor class the next semester. A different teacher. All he did was give us something to paint each week and very minimal feedback. Didn't really teach anything. And I took no more watercolor classes.
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
| www
|
| |
John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy
Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 137200
|
| Posted: 03 October 2026 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 9
|
post reply
|
|
The real Kitty Pryde attended the gathering and reported it as unimpressive to a mutual friend. Guess I wasn’t missed. :-(
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
Edward Aycock Byrne Robotics Member

Joined: 13 July 2024 Location: United States Posts: 308
|
| Posted: 04 October 2026 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 10
|
post reply
|
|
I'll bet Joni Mitchell doesn't attend her reunions there either.
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy
Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 137200
|
| Posted: 04 October 2026 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 11
|
post reply
|
|
Joni Mitchell and I share a common ACA experience, albeit a few years apart. The same senior instructor told each of us that we were wasting our time on our career goals. We should focus on Fine Arts and forget about music and comics.
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |
Michael Penn Byrne Robotics Member

Joined: 12 April 2006 Location: United States Posts: 13383
|
| Posted: 04 October 2026 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 12
|
post reply
|
|
What a fool!
Joni Mitchell has a number of her paintings on her website, and they're good -- so now I'm wondering what the John Byrne songbook sounds like!
|
| Back to Top |
profile
| search
|
| |