Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Superboy post MAN OF STEEL Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137200
Posted: 04 October 2026 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A comment from elsewhere:

“While I liked most of [Byrne’s] his Superman, what he did with Superboy, and consequentially the Legion, was horrible.”

Here’s a classic representation of what happens when Editorial really doesn’t know what it’s doing.

As I was building what I planned for Superman, including the removal of Superboy from the backstory, I repeatedly reminded everyone that this was going to have a major effect on the Legion of Superheroes. The Legion office responded with a contemptuous “We have it all under control.”

One of the earliest indications that DC really didn’t understand what they were unleashing by insisting on a “reboot”. (My initial plan had been to just take over with the next issue and do a three or four part story that would get the characters on the path I wanted to follow. But DC wanted an EVENT, and since newly acquired Macintosh computers had set editorial abuzz with computer terms, it became a “reboot”.)

Okay, said I, and set to work. A few issues in, there came a panicked call from my editor. “This messes up the Legion!” “I thought they had it ‘under control’,” I responded. “No, we have to FIX this!”

And so I was pressed into doing the Pocket Universe/Time Trapper story. Which was largely a mess, but which satisfied the Legion office.

sigh

Back to Top profile | search
 
Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 16 April 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 4185
Posted: 04 October 2026 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And by the mid-90s another event had to be done to deal with the time discrepancies. Like with .. the Legion. Zero Hour! And then more changes over the decades. 

What DC has shown me from all their Crisis events is that once you upend everything it gets harder and harder to turn it into something stable. If a change in company direction is wanted/needed it becomes far too easy to just dump all the toys out of the box and see where they land again. 

There can be some interesting changes that occur. But it rarely seems worth all the fuss to restabilize the whole thing. And it makes it harder to build longer term readers. Whether that matters these days I do not know. 
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137200
Posted: 04 October 2026 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Working on two of DCs biggest characters, Superman and Wonder Woman, I was really surprised to discover what little respect the powers that were had for them. It was all about Batman.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 16 April 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 4185
Posted: 04 October 2026 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

He does seem to get a lot of the attention and interest. There's something so compelling with Batman. Some characters can fit a wide range of settings and styles. While others you really are better off keeping them in their lane most of the time. 

Between Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman I'd say WW is the toughest to create something lasting. I find her more interesting as a team character. But with a setting as rich and epic as hers there's definitely a lot of potential there. 
Back to Top profile | search
 
Evan S. Kurtz
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 July 2022
Location: Canada
Posts: 460
Posted: 04 October 2026 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB One of the sadder things I've discovered since I joined these forums is the personal pain that time of your career brings you, because I only remember loving your Superman stories more than quite literally any other before or since. And not knowing about the background turmoil surrounding Superboy and the Legion, the pocket universe story was, in my mind, so significant, so moving... 

I guess I'll always wonder what could've been, had you been afforded the respect you deserved, and had they kept the promises they made.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Brian ONeill
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 July 2024
Posts: 142
Posted: 04 October 2026 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

In retrospect, getting rid of the Legion in CRISIS would have been a better idea than anything that followed.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 10 June 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 5767
Posted: 04 October 2026 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember JB being asked about the Legion without Superboy at a convention and saying something like "When you think about it, the Legion can work just fine without Superboy." Which is very true. In fact, the Legion had written Superboy out of the group several times before Crisis.
And then, after all the Pocket Universe stuff, the rebooted the Legion with Mon-El as the inspiration in Superboy's spot, and even came up with a new Supergirl replacement. And it worked better than the Pocket Universe....
And I wondered at the time why the Pocket Universe when JB had said the Legion didn't need Superboy.
(I hope I didn't mess up the timeline or anything, but that's how I remember it.)
Back to Top profile | search | www
 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login