Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Cap sketch Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message
Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 07 March 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 289
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Found this nice Cap sketch online - I was in High School in '82 this brings back fond memories....

Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137241
Posted: 08 October 2026 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That shield is impressive. I wonder how I drew it? It wasn’t my habit to tote my elliptical templates around to cons with me!
Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8726
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Your mastery of curves really makes you the perfect artist to render the shield. It has just the right amount of convexity - many artists draw it either too curved or too flat (even Kirby did that a lot):


Mainly posting this becuse it came up on a Google image search, and I've never seen this before! And for what it's worth, one of your own images of Cap and his shield came up 4th on the search results.


Edited by Vinny Valenti on 09 October 2026 at 1:10pm
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137241
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I didn’t take a whole lot with me from the Alberta College of Art (now the Alberta University of the Arts—with “Art” upside down!) but it was practically an epiphany that day in drawing class when the instructor showed us how to draw circles in perspective.

The “trick”, if I may call it such, is that no matter the viewing angle, the widest part of the ellipse is always at 90 degrees to the axis.

Back to Top profile | search
 
Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 17 April 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 8726
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Another trick I just noticed is that you have the stripes disappear behind the middle, really giving the illusion of depth, whereas in the image above (possibly the first ever rendering of the shield?), they don't - curious that the white stripes seem to taper off, but the red stripes don't - even though they are equal width!
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137241
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think of the shield as roughly the same shape as a contact lens.
Back to Top profile | search
 
Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member
Avatar

Joined: 07 March 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 289
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Sketches have such an energy I'd like to see a comic done this way not just pencils without inks but loose sketches perhaps water colored subtly for printing purposes. And I recall the issue of Cap our host did similarly without inking but I am not sure the technology was quite there yet and it seemed a bit muddy to me printed on that paper. JB what was the story behind that attempt do you recall?
Back to Top profile | search
 
John Byrne
Avatar
Grumpy Old Guy

Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 137241
Posted: 09 October 2026 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marvel wouldn’t pay for gray tones, so I had to make the pencils as dark as if inked.

Kinda defeated the whole point!

Back to Top profile | search
 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login