Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 27 Next >>
Topic: Like Unto a Thing of Iron -- 09.14.06 (With added image) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB, this commission is like unto a thing of beauty.

If only M***** would put this group of X-characters back together again under your pen & pencil.

Sigh!

Back to Top profile | search

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If Iron Fist used his iron fist on Wolverine's claws, would IF's hand get cut up or would nothing happen at all?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nice! And I'm glad that Wolverine isn't wearing the outfit he was in that story, as Fang's outfit doesn't look as cool to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thats a great piece JB.thanks for posting it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Cordier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Where's the potato salad?  There has to be potato salad!!!  :-)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Yeoman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This is my favorite commission piece that I've seen. Can't stop looking at it lol.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Oh -- and there's a funny story that goes with the issue from which this scene is taken. It was done before Wolverine got his new "Fang" costume, and before I had seen anything more than a sketch of the Phoenix Effect. I asked for reference to be sent, but none was forthcoming. I waited and waited, until the deadline for the pencils seemed dangerously close to being missed. Finally, I called the office and said "Look, I have to start this issue! How about if I draw Wolvering "naked" and just leave space around Jean, and Dave can add the costume and the Effect?" This was agreed to, so that's what I did, and managed thus to get the pages into the office before the deadline.

Then several months went by, before the issue came out. In the meanwhile I was working on POWERMAN & IRON FIST and not giving a whole lot of thought to the last issue of IF. I didn't get bundles in those days, so I had to wait like everybody else for the issue to turn up in my LCS. It did, and this was the first time I saw the finished product. To my surprise, in the panel where Jean manifest the Phoenix Effect, Dave had not just put the Effect in around her, he'd redrawn the whole panel, so that's a Cockrum Phoenix and a Cockrum Scott Summers making their dramatic entrance. Wolverine was no longer in the buff, but I had indicated him wearing his usual headgear, which is what I had understood would be the case, and Dave had redrawn this as Logan's uncovered head.

This made me notice something else. I stood in the comic shop flipping thru the pages, and slowly realized Dave had redrawn almost every X-Men face in the book! So, when you look at that issue, in most panels in which they appear, it's not my Nightcrawler, not my Colossus, not my Storm, etc. Just from the neck up, but it seemed to me like Dave had made himself a whole lot of extra work. Especially since I had already been tapped to succeed him on UNCANNY, and the characters would end up having my faces anyway.

Next time I saw him, I said I didn't know whether he was overly conscientious, or a sucker for punishment!

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Seriously...I miss my Marvel comics...thanks for reminding me what I missing John...in a rub-salt-in-the-wounds-kind-of-way!

;-)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Nago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I like Nightcrawler in this one.  And Wolverine.

What's up with Storm?  I find her legs to be too short (or look too short and stocky). Her twisting pose is weird too.   Plus, she crowds the shot.  Although her appearance in the piece was probably at the owner's request, this shot would have been a lot better without Storm (or Colossus) in it.

I would call this piece "Shock and Awe" based on the character's expressions.

Edited by Charles Nago on 14 September 2006 at 8:46am

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Incidentally -- a bit of cosmic musing. I've long been vaguely bothered when characters fly indoors. In normal sized rooms, at least. It "feels" like swimming in the shallow end of the pool, somehow -- a flying character would seem to me to need more room. Especially someone like Storm, who doesn't actually fly, but manipulates the air around her to provide lift!

I like this piece, but that was the first thing that leapt off the page at me.  It doesn’t seem natural (as if I could use that word when discussing Mutants) for Storm to be air borne without the effects of her power showing up in other parts of the room based on how it works. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If Iron Fist used his iron fist on Wolverine's claws, would IF's hand get cut up or would nothing happen at all?

Couple of things to consider, there. First, Iron Fist's iron fist is virtually indestructible. Second, the claws in this shot have the D profile, as I used to draw them when I was handling the character. The tops are curved, the underside flat. Only the points cut.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2006 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

LOVE Wolverine in this one.

"storm feels cockrumish..."

Hey, she does! Was this intentional, JB?

<< Prev Page of 27 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version