Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Q for JB: Union Jack? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 1  

I thought J.B. was going to say that someone thought Shaman was gay because he carried a purse/hand bag,not because of his surname!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stan Lomisceau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

it is another message from the get a life crusaders when you read this. so many of the sad boys.
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

(no doubt fueled in part
by the retcon of the Brian Falsworth Union Jack and Roger Aubrey
Destroyer were)
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Where was this idiotic idea retconned at ?
 One of the dumbest idea's i've ever heard. There was never nothing in the original series to even give a shadow of a hint that they might be gay. I don't see this as anything other the a poor attempt at some shock value.

As far as J.B. 's Cap story I don't see how anyone could get the idea that Joey and Kenneth were gay.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

I thought J.B. was going to say that someone thought Shaman was gay
because he carried a purse/hand bag,not because of his surname!

••

Psychic?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

I've never heard it referred to as "Industrial Arts" down here that's called a
"Trade School".

•••

Story set in England, so. . .

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Industrial Arts" in Canada, as well.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

I took an "Industrial Arts" class in Virginia high school.

Being hetero has never stopped me from really enjoying the close friendships in comics between men. I mean, real friendships where the men love each other more than they'd love a woman, and maybe to their detriment in terms of relations with the opposite sex.

There's been inklings of that, in such relationships as Kamandi and Ben Boxer, Iron Munro and the Human Bomb, Wonder Man and the Beast, Hercules and Thor, Hawkman and the Atom, Power Man and Iron Fist. Their loyalty to each other is a forged bond, unshakable and as true as any true love. This is a common theme in a lot of genre literature anywhere, and it masks an awareness that some men in particular find those bonds in other men. While being as Not-Gay as they can be, there's little doubt that there's a rudimentary sexuality between the men, if only as an acknowledgement of a kind of verility they see in themselves, or wished they had.

Edited by Chad Carter on 27 September 2007 at 9:23pm

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2007 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 8  

Me:  (no doubt fueled in part
by the retcon of the Brian Falsworth Union Jack and Roger Aubrey
Destroyer were)

Lombardi: Where was this idiotic idea retconned at ?
 One of the dumbest idea's i've ever heard. There was never nothing in the original series to even give a shadow of a hint that they might be gay. I don't see this as anything other the a poor attempt at some shock value.
--------------------------------------------------
It was by Fabian Nicieza in either THUNDERBOLTS or the Citizen V mini-series. On a message board he claimed it was obvious that was what Thomas was implying and then admitting he never spoke to Thomas about it. Of course, a lot of fans jumped in to agree citing all sorts of "evidence". Evidence, that I pointed out if applied to the rest of the cast of THE INVADERS the only characters that are hetero are the Human Torch and Spitfire. And if you expanded the scope of circumstantial evidence and looked at all of Thomas' work, it becomes even less likely as he didn't revisit that theme, even when by the 80s, he could be more liberal with showing characters sexual lives in the pages of the ALL-STAR SQUADRON and INFINITI, INC. Nor had he ever discussed it and he's not shy when talking about comic history or his own works. And subtlety is not a characteristic that I would use to describe his work as much as I love it. Of course this was dismissed as I didn't know what I was talking about.

Finally, in an interview, someone actually asked Thomas about it and he said that they were not meant to be anything more than close friends dating back to school days. There was no implying that they were Gay.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version