Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: "Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 1  

I also enjoy Adams' work immensely. I can remember enjoying the odd Batman and GA/GL stories that happened to cross my path as a kid, as well as a Danish "collected" edition of the Kree-Skrull war. Ironically, I was never really taken by his X-Men back then. Here in Sweden they started a bit into (I believe) the Claremont / JB run (I think the first issue might have been the Mesmero leading into Magneto one) with two US issues per Swedish issue and released in the first half of the 1980s some time. After a while they started running some of the stuff leading up to where they started, I don't remember if they started with the Claremont stuff and then went back further to the Thomas/Adams run afterwards or went via that one directly... BUT I do remember that it didn't at all go down with me as well as the JB stuff... though possibly at the time, I'd possibly put some of that down to the fact that it of course didn't include the same X-Men.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 2  

Neal Adams can do no wrong in my book.

He is my definitive Batman artist.

Back to Top profile | search

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 3  

I'd be like some others here. I would have liked to have seen the original art in an archive format.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4  

I was never a fan of the Marvel Club format. They had the "Marvel Mutants" which I guess was Swedish for X-men. I could read the old Atlantic comics from used book stores, but with the Marvel Club, why was it a club in the first place? It would have been better to just name the comics normally. Compared to Atlantic, it was a overrrated compilation in sloppier colors than the bright Atlantic comics. Byrne's marvel's Universe Hulk was good, but with the usual pages with unnecessary comments (!) like "on page XX shit starts to happen". And of course, the title was not Hulk, although big in bright letters, it was as I told the clerk as the tiny kid I was "I want a Marvel Universe", and she responds after thououghly looking "we don't have it" about five times.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 5  

I'd say that just about the only thing wrong he can do is not doing more than he does... I think there are so many things I'd like to see done by him. And those X-Men pencil pages I mentioned didn't exactly not have me wish to see what he'd have made of the full thing... (not that I blame him for sticking to his principles).

My definitive Batman guy as well...

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 6  

There are some Neal Adams pages in the new God Loves, Man Kills HC. They're the ones he'd done before pulling out of the project.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 7  

Not sure I remember what you're referring to right now Lars. I remember that Atlantic did a lot of Spider-Man and Hulk in my younger years, then some other publsiher (Semic?) took over and that as far as I recall introduced X-Men, titled X:en like forever... eventually they also started MegaMarvel which was not really an anthology title, but a heftier (say 150 pages) comic featuring a collection of a story arc or a number of issues with a specific character in each issue. I seem to recall the X-Men title (after having been turned into X-Men from X:en) actually was swallowed into that title eventually, but my memory gets hazy) At any rate I think my shift to reading the material in Englsih had begun by that time.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 8  

I know, David, I mentioned them earlier, and they really got me started... Just looking at them made my mouth water...

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 9  

But Neal Adams Batman was published in the 70's, during some periods in B&W. It was probably like the German b&w then. I didn't really catch on. They had problems marketing the Batman comics. Sometimes it was Laderlappen, Laderlappen and Robin, and later Batman with Laderlappen and Robin at the same time. Once, actually twice, he was icnorprated into Superman which made both books decline. The way they treated Batman here is sad. Except for the cool ad campaign with the little kid reading a book and the bat signal outside.

(Edited part of the text when i read it, I noticed it hade come out wrong)

Edited by Lars Johansson on 19 December 2007 at 9:04am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 10  

I know, David, I mentioned them earlier, and they really got me started... Just looking at them made my mouth water...

Oops I missed that. I particularly liked his Angel (who was cut from the released version).

Günther Seydlitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 11  

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

<<<the new God Loves, Man Kills HC>>>

How's the repro quality in that HC, David? I was thinking of getting it, but it
was shrinkwrapped, so I couldn't see how Brent Anderson's art and the
coloring looked.

Last time they reprinted it, in comic book form, I was less than impressed.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version