Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 146 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man rebooted (spoilers) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm currently in the process of reading every issue of Stan's ASM for the first time by way of Marvel's Digital Comics. What a blast. Why should I care how bad Spidey's screwed up currently when I have all that great stuff ahead of me?

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was enjoying JMS's run with JRjr until JRjr left. I was still reading when Sins
Past came along and that was it. That story was so awful I never bought
another issue.

••

Often observed phenomenon: so many writers whose stories are suddenly
not so good without a good artist drawing them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Sins Past" was anything but a good story, and I know a lot of Spider-Man fans who were turned off by it.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

I didn't mind Deodato's art in "Sins Past," but I could've lived a happy and comfortable life without ever needing to see Norman Osborn's "O" face.

Edited by Zaki Hasan on 01 January 2008 at 10:09pm

Gene Mason
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2008 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

Drew Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 5  

As I was formulating my thoughts about this on another message board I frequent, I wondered (of course, this is without knowing how much of Spider-Man's continuity is changed with OMD), with what's going on at marvel currently, is it possible that it is revealed that Anut May is actually dead (going back to ASM 400-ish) and that the one who lay near death was actually a Skrull?  I'm not saying that it's a good idea, but wouldn't that fit with how deals with the devil usually go in fiction? 

Given that jq has stated that he wanted Peter Parker back the way he was pre-marriage, it's probably not likely, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 6  

While I'd be happy to be proven wrong, I really don't think OMD was really intended to be the start of a storyline.  They picked Mephisto because he a) had the power to "fix" things (news to me, but whatever) and b) would make them pay a price for it.  So nothing will be wrong with Aunt May, MJ won't remember the marriage, Mephisto doesn't have any "next moves" planned, etc.

Along those lines, it's been established that MJ has known that Peter is Spider-Man since the beginning.  Assuming that hasn't been changed, you have all the explanation you'd need for why MJ might act strange without any residual memories of pre-OMD stuff.

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 7  

But what was wrong with Peter Parker being married ?

One of te things I've always liked about Spider-Man was that at the end of the day he was a normal person (as Parker) with regular problems - how will I make rent? - how do I get to date this girl? - etc etc ----

---- so we have a teen Parker in High School, then a 20's Parker in College --- the natural progression is to have him be late 20s and married dealing with the common issues of a relationship.   I'm sorry, but he should have a kid, too - what was wrong with that concept?  Okay for the FF - but not for Spidey?

We've got the teen Spidey in Ultimate books -- why not give us the adult Spidey in the regular books?

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 8  

The Blog at Newsarama brings up a nice point.  Which one of these guy/gals is Mephisto?

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 9  

Pat, a good writer can take any character and situation and come up with great stories. The most glaring issue that I have with the marriage is that it removes Peter further away from a central aspect of his uniqueness as a character... that being that he can't rely or expect that anything with will secure for him. It is hard to play up the Parker luck or have an isolated person who knows that he can come home to a loving and supportive wife. It makes him too comfortable.

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 10  

I'd agree that having Peter get married in the first place was a bad idea (although a bad idea that originated with Stan Lee). But on the list of things that needs "fixing," it's way down on the list.

What Spider-Man needs is a return to basic, traditional storytelling without all of the hopelessness and gloom that has surrounded the character in the past 10 years or so. If that doesn't happen, it doesn't really matter much if he's married or single.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 11  

What Spider-Man needs is a return to basic, traditional storytelling without all of the hopelessness and gloom that has surrounded the character in the past 10 years or so.

I would agree, but wonder why Chapter One and the subsequent relaunch didn't jibe with readers...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2008 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 12  

NO

Peter's central motivation has always been his sense of responsibility -- how much more of a burden is it when he has a wife (and kids) to protect and provide for?

I think Stan Lee got it right that Peter and Mary Jane should be married -- but concept and execution of concept are two different animals.

It's all moot anyway

<< Prev Page of 146 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version