Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Philip Jose Farmer RIP (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 1  

The Jungle Rot Kid really is on the nod. RIP.

Back to Top profile | search

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 2  

RIP Kickaha

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2009 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

The Riverworld is the only work of his I've read.  A very interesting concept, and quite the twist at the end.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I was a big fan as a teenager, Riverworld, World of Tiers and countless others, His Tarzan Alive got me into reading pulp heroes like the Shadow and Doc Savage. In my thirteen year old brain is seemed very possible that Lord Greystoke real.  Years later PJF signed a oversized foam core mounted cover of a Tarzan Alive reissue for me at a bookstore appearence.

Thank you Mister Farmer. RIP

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 5  

Rip.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 6  

Though, honestly, I thought he was already dead.
+++
Me, too!

I´ve often pondered on a quote of his I saw in the SF Encyclopaedia, about how immortality is the only important question for SF, and literature, and mankind in general...

Gary Olson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2009 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 7  

I just learned about it here. RIP.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 8  

RIP.

I am currently reading his Riverworld series (now "the magic labyrinth", and next is "Gods of Riverworld").

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 9  

I learned about this two days ago and was deeply saddened. Especially since I've just discovered the man's work.  Well, not really, his books had caught me interest earlier so I'd bought Tarzan Alive and the first World of Tiers omnibus, though I've not yet read them.  Then fairly recently my girlfriend bought me Riverworld and Other Stories in a second handstore for me cheaply, and I'm currently reading and enjoying the heck out of that! In fact so much so that I rushed out and bought the other five Riverworld books.  So, Gerry's news was a bit of a blow with a dash of synchronicity to it

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged | 10  

I was a bigger fan of World of Tiers than I was of Riverworld, though there's no doubt the man was an incredible (and incredibly inventive) writer. Sad to hear he's gone, though (as one noted above) I had sort of thought he'd passed a long while ago.

Steve D Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2009 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 11  

RIP Philip Jose Farmer.

I read the Riverworld books and towards the end I had come to two decisions: I had to know what happened and had to read till the end and the second decision; I wasn't going to read another of his books, nor was I going to reread (and I am a habitual rereader) the Riverworld novels.

I have a problem when writers (see Alan Moore) use other writer's characters in ways the original would probably not have intended or appreciated but I found Farmer's use of real world figures even more problematic. The path to enlightenment was a barrier to my enjoyment and the fact that the characters that I could identify with (because I shared characteristics with them) were the ones who were portrayed as the ones not likely to reach enlightment was also an affront. It seemed as if strength and moral courage were anaethema to the collective conscious and the only way for those characters to advance was to deliberately become passive instead of active.

When authors have beliefs that I disagree with I am not normally bothered, but presented in the way he presented it (if you don't become what he believed a good person to be you will not ascend to heaven but will be cast into oblivion) I could not help but be insulted. But, again, the books were so well crafted that even with my misgivings I HAD to finish them.

My other issue (spoiler text) was that Farmer stated characters feelings as if they were somehow historical facts (Samuel Clemens never really loving his wife in real life, even if true, even if he wasn't the first writer to state that, was made worse by the fact he was using the image and the words and the character of a real person to make that argument and that felt very not kosher). It went beyond putting words into others mouths during an argument, to putting words in their mouths that, because they were dead, they could not dispute.

A brilliant piece of work. A brilliant writer.

I hope this is not seen as an indictment of Farmer, I actually believe that a lot of what he was trying to achieve in his work was to create discussions and interesting thought and I hope by raising my objections it can be seen as honoring his work. If not, please disregard.

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

Count me as a fan of the Riverworld series.  RIP Mr Farmer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version