Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 29
Topic: Fighting for Ignorance (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

For Mike O'B (from my old hometown newspaper):

Mike, while I admire your passion on this matter, what are the options: Can't build more Nuke plants because of Three Mile Island. Can't buy more Middle East oil because we're draining our economy, funding foreign powers that hate us and holding ourselves hostage to OPEC. Can't invade any oil producing Middle East countries in wars of opportunity because that isn't nice and it gets Code Pink up in arms. Can't build windmills off the coast because Ted Kennedy didn't want his view obstructed. Coal's out because mining is dangerous, soot pollutes the air and contributes to the coming ice age / global warming / climate change / whatever new cause we've got from marketing.

No matter the industry or the technology, there are going to be accidents. The key is effective regulation to minimize the occurance of accidents, effective disaster preparation to mitigate those accidents and resiliency to recover from them.

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 28 May 2010 at 2:55pm
Back to Top profile | search

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

yeah, on the topic of power source, I'm a nuke man.

As for your other question - the difference between Iraq and Afganistan is that we had no business to ever be in Iraq. They didn't attack us and they posed no threat.

Afganistan's government was supporting the terrorist organization that organized the attack on 9/11.

This is why both sides of the isle were all for the immediate attack on Afganistan in 2002.

Any body killed in war is killed too soon, but you're misunderstanding the protests if you think it's just about bodies. It's abour right and wrong. Iraq was wrong. We never belonged there.

And besides, Obama's plan for Afganistan is very clear - it's a surge, then withdrawl. We are to be done there by 2011. We have clear goals and objectives for Afganistan.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

I didn't think people blamed Bush for the levy breaking, I think Matthew, you are right, it is just a pure government failure all away around. But I think the lag time in getting help to the people , like Don said, is what got Bush in trouble. And the statement "Brownie is doing a hell of a job!" didn't help.

How can any republican try to push the BP mess onto the dems is beyond laughable. They need to own this mess. But the dems should have pushed harder for clean technology. I just read something about how GM had killed a clean car years back. We should have demanded time lines, but then the R's would have been screaming the govt has no business telling a company what to do.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 28 May 2010 at 4:29pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

Welllll....... as long as we're "owning" things, how about if every one of us who owns a car steps up to the plate? Or anyone who heats their home with oil?

I'll say mea culpa for both of those.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

Like I suggested, Mike: The perception is Afghanistan is the good war (assuming there can be such a thing).

And actually, according to the latest information reported in Time, the plan is to begin withdrawals in July 2011. No guarantee the US will be off the ground before the year is out, and indeed, there is no promise by the generals and the White House that it will happen in an 18 month timeframe.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

I didn't think people blamed Bush for the levee breaking...

How quickly we forget, Jodi...

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/14/201055.shtm l

http://www.apfn.org/APFN/Katrina_levee.htm

http://www.factcheck.org/article344.html

Jonathan Watkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

Bush deserves condemnation for a great many bad decisions, but the notion that he was responsible for Katrina or the infrastructure's failure in New Orleans is just silly.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 8  

Welllll....... as long as we're "owning" things, how about if every one of us who owns a car steps up to the plate? Or anyone who heats their home with oil?

We use cleaner-than-coal natural gas to heat our home and cleaner-than-coal natural gas PLUS hydroelectric power as the source of our electricity, so our family is only a fraction as bad as the rest of you plantet killers!

Heck, I even seriously considered buying a Prius! Just call me Mr. Eco Friendly and doing my part...

(Of course, I eat meat and exhale a green house gas, so you better hand me my fair potion of blame...)

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 28 May 2010 at 4:58pm

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

Matthew -

What's the comparison in deaths in Iraq between Bush and Obama? I'm thinking that might be a more extreme difference.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

What's the comparison in deaths in Iraq between Bush and Obama? I'm thinking that might be a more extreme difference.

Dramatic difference. And, as a matter of fact, I listed that comparison in the original post (this page, post 11, paragraph 4). No need to repeat myself when you can scroll up.

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

The main difference between Katrina and the BP oil spill, as I see it, is that we knew days before Katrina hit that it was coming and it still ended up a complete clusterfuck. On both the local, state, and federal level.

The oil rig explosion was unexpected and I believe we were fed false information from BP about how severe the spill actually was.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

That's why our family car is a Honda Hybrid and we heat with natural gas. We get 43 miles a gallon,( it is the most uncomfortable car I have ever sat in BTW) . It is so hard to get used to the fact, it stops running when you step on the brake. When we first got it, I kept thinking I killed it.

I am a pretty green person, because I was president of an environmental group all through my college years. In fact our group designed and started BSU's current recycling program. I was the recipient of the Governors Award for Environmental Education. But if I learned anything at all, the individual can change and make a difference, but the bigger picture is what is going on in the Gulf. I hope after this, there will be a demand for "green" cars.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 03 June 2010 at 4:40pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 29
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version