Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 59 Next >>
Topic: When I Wore a Younger Man’s Clothes - 05.24.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB,

You should write a book about all of this behind the scenes Marvel/DC insider stuff. I'd buy a copy.

Back to Top profile | search

Ben Schwartz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB, just curious--did you know that Marvel ended up using Humus Sapien in a Thunderbolts storyline circa 2001?  This was the "big reveal" for a long-running subplot featuring a mystery character.  As a reader who had never even heard of FOOM (which is apparently where the contest took place) at the time, this reveal was pretty lame, but I guess it's nice for the fan who created Humus Sapien that he finally got to see his character in print

Edited by Ben Schwartz on 27 May 2010 at 11:34am

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

And the chance of a reader pre-1969 reading Thunderbolts in 2001 is approximately what?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And the chance of a reader pre-1969 reading Thunderbolts in 2001 is approximately what?

••

It's more about the writer being a pre-1969 reader, I would imagine. Not a bad thing, in and of itself (since, hey! I am one myself), but there comes a time when one must realize that box needs to be left closed!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I seem to remember you planning on using the X-Men from your run for a Hidden Years Annual... or something? You were thinking of having Terry ink it, no?

Where would that "lost" story have fit in during your run? Between which issues?

••

When Dark Phoenix cut loose for the first time, I did a round-the-world flash of various characters (Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, etc) reacting to the sudden strangeness in the ether. One was the Silver Surfer, who sensed the manifestation from orbit.

For reasons beyond mere mortal comprehension, Chris, scripting that page, gave the Surfer a line that indicated he was going to zoom down to Earth and see what was going on -- even to offer assistance to this new creature, if needed.

Well, as you can probably imagine, there were a whole passel of readers who were NOT PLEASED when the Surfer did NOT show up in the next issue. Or the next. Or the next. And, of course, because we worked so far ahead in those days, it was months before Chris and I even KNEW there were people who were unhappy at being "cheated".

Cut to years later, and Steve Englehart had returned to Marvel for some writing. Shooter declared that Englehart deserved a "plum", and since the X-Men were the plummiest assignment (OMFG! My spellchecker does not know "superhero", but it knows "plummiest"???) Steve should have some kind of special X-Book to script. Steve protested that he did not know nearly enough about X-Men lore, so Shooter called me (to this day I know not why) and asked if I had an idea for an X-Men story Steve could write.

Now, mind you, it should be emphasized here that Shooter just wanted a plot from me. I was being offered neither the art job, nor the scripting!

Well, I thought immediately of the "missing" Surfer/Phoenix story. I worked up an outline, it bounced back and forth between Shooter and me a few times, and then. . . disappeared. Nothing happened.

So, when HIDDEN YEARS finally came to be, and Marvel was at the time insisting that every 12th issue be double-sized on all the books (resulting in the first and 12th issues of XHY shipping late due to editorial incompetence, TYVM) I decided I would do a "flash forward" for the 24th issue, finally telling the tale of Dark Phoenix and the Silver Surfer. It seemed like it would be a neat idea to get Terry to ink it.

Then XHY, still a profitable book, was canceled.

As to when the story would take place, basically between panels in X-MEN 136.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

goddamnitsomuch....!!

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I didn't even like the X-Men, and I LOVED Hidden Years!! Gah! It kills me what happened there - I would wipe everything being published today just to get Hidden Years going again.

Damn.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I didn't even like the X-Men, and I LOVED Hidden Years!! Gah! It kills me what happened there - I would wipe everything being published today just to get Hidden Years going again.

Damn.

••

HIDDEN YEARS really was a dream come true, for me. When I started at Marvel, one of the first things I asked about, insignificant gnat tho I was, was if there was any chance of restarting the X-Men's book, picking up right where the last issue had left off.

I was told something was already in the works, with Len Wein at the helm. "Where is the art going?" I panted. "Cockrum," came the answer. Brief moment of vertigo. I was not really familiar with Dave's stuff then, so I heard "Cochran", which was a small town not far from Calgary, where I was living at the time.

Anyway, I did end up drawing the X-Men, eventually, but it was mostly the All-New, All-Different X-Men, and even tho Cyclops was still there, he didn't quite look like himself (different visor, much beefier), and I was told I could not alter that. (Remember when artists were required to work to model?)

Eventually I left the X-Men, and after a while I pitched my old idea again, now titled X-MEN: THE LOST YEARS. I was informed by the Powers that Were that "another book called 'X-MEN' would be too confusing." So it didn't happen.

But this was something I wasn't about to let die, so when the opportunity again presented itself, I pitched the book again, now titled X-MEN: THE HIDDEN YEARS. (I'd found out there was an ELFQUEST book called "The Lost Years", and I didn't want to step on Richard & Wendy's toes. Only later, after publication began, I found out the ELFQUEST book was. . . THE HIDDEN YEARS!)

Finally I had the book I had wanted since, as a wee small timorous beastie, I had first begun to haunt the halls of Marvel, looking for work. AND IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST FUN PROJECTS I HAVE EVER WORKED ON!

Sure, there were mountains of editorial incompetence to climb over, but it was the REAL X-MEN! That made up for a LOT! I had not been so happy on a book since FANTASTIC FOUR.

And then Joe Quesada became Editor-in-Chief.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have a big problem with XMHY: it's impossible for me to read a single
issue! If I pick one up, I feel compelled to ride the roller-coaster from start
to end in one sitting!!!

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"And then Joe Quesada became Editor-in-Chief".......Crap.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The "other" Caliban...

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Joe Quesada lost all my faith in him as Editor-In-Chief when he signed off
on the cancellation of X-MEN:THE HIDDEN YEARS. How one can
disrespect an artist so instrumental in building the X-MEN franchise
is beyond me. ( Wasn't even a good business decision as the title was
selling well.)

This commission piece is simply amazing, JB!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 59 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version