Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Best Single Issue (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2011 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've probably re-read JB's AF run as many times as I've re-read his FF run.  JB's AF was so unusual---a very original, very entertaining series.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

Amazing Spider-Man 229

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

I find that you really can't go wrong with any issue written by Alan Brennert.

Detective Comics #500- "To Kill a Legend," reprinted in the first edition of the Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told. The Phantom Stranger offers Batman a chance to save the Waynes of a parallel earth, and Robin wonders for a number of reasons if that is the right thing to do.

Brave and Bold #182- "Interlude on Earth-2" Batman appears mysteriously on Earth-2 during an attack on Gotham City by that world's Hugo Strange. Along the way he teams up with the adult Robin and a smitten Batwoman.

Brave and Bold #181- "Time, See What's Become of Me" Hawk and Dove, as old as the times and issues they were created to represent.

Brave and Bold #197- "The Autobiography of Bruce Wayne" A fairly by-the-numbers trackdown of the Scarecrow except Batman needs the help of the Catwoman this time, and neither of them is getting any younger by this point...

Secret Origins #50- Brennert gives us an origin for both generations of the Black Canary, stitching together the various continuity implants, revisions, reveals, and what-not into a story that almost makes one think it was written this way from the get-go. Along the way, he gives the writers of the current JSA series an awful lot to work with...

Christmas with the Super-Heroes #2- Deadman gets a visit from a ghost who reminds him it's not about the applause.

Daredevil #192- The mob is going to finally take care of Ben Urich. No ninjas. No explosions. No giant killer nurses. They're going to sell him and his wife a house. One of the few stories to make me tear up when I read it...

Okay, yes, Brennert also wrote that issue of Marvel's Star Trek where Rand marries a floating hyper-evolved intellect, which includes possibly the worst line of dialogue Kirk's ever been given in a comic: "It-I mean, He- Talks??" but hey, that kind of makes it memorable in its own right...:-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

FF 267...cross-over villain, guest-stars, action, drama and a great story. And above all else, one of the most heartfelt and effective pages, bar none, of any comic book ever produced.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version