Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

My reaction was something along the lines of "Jim Lee drawing a rebooted version of a major publisher's flagship titles? I feel like I've seen this movie before..."  But the post Aaron linked to makes the point a lot more elegantly.
Back to Top profile | search

Craig Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

52 new comic series with 52 new number one issues!  Holy cow!  I would have hoped they would cut back their number of titles to a more manageable, more reader-friendly amount.  But no.  They're carpet bombing the comic book world with a tsunami of crap. Wouldn't they have gotten more interest from new readers if the number of titles had been reasonable.  I can't imagine any new potential readers thinking to themselves "hmm, 52 new titles. What a great time to start reading DC Comics!"   And I pity the poor comic book store owners who have to take a wild guess at what the demand will be for this onslaught of new number ones.   

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

The 52 titles bugs me. Honestly, if there were 20 max, I might even buy all the #1's just on a lark to try them out. 52? That's a whole lot of comic all at once. 

I'll more than likely just stick with trades for the stuff I'm already getting in trade - Green Lantern titles, Flash, Secret Six... I'd keep Birds of Prey, but Simone is leaving... I'd start Superman or Batman again, but of all the titles DC puts out those are the ones most likely to require me to also collect every book in the family at some point. I've been burned too many times by that... Plus, Wonder Woman is still in that ridiculous new costume... 

Jim Lee on Justice League inspires no confidence - he'll be gone in 6 issues, max, and those six issues will take almost a year (maybe more!) to come out... 

James Robinson on Hawkman would interest me if not for Cry For Justice, which made me not a James Robinson fan, ever again. 

Maybe if I get an iPad this summer I'll try a few...?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

Fifty two "#1" issues?  That kind of market saturation may be the first time that the "Issue #1 - Collector's Item" gambit does not work.  I admit that i tend to check out #1 issues if it looks interesting, but that's a lot of ones!

I don't read much DC, but when I do it tends to be written by Geoff Johns - I think he's terrific.  So I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt that something good is afoot here.  Maybe there is something we don't know here.  If this is part of a larger plan that targets young readers, then I am all for it.  What we geezers think does not matter if it can get younger readers.

Does renumbering give them a chance to hit the "reset" button and break any distribution contracts that would get the books into more diverse venues?  That would be a solid reason to green light something this radical.  I'm just trying to figure out if this creative sea change is tied to marketing and distribution in some way.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

52 titles. 52.

Another thing that suggests to me that this is a stunt of some kind.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

I miss the days of National Periodical Publications, they knew how to publish comic books.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug O'Loughlin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

Ha! I remember Heroes Reborn.

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

Re-numbering all to #1's will really illustrate their erratic publishing schedules.  Twelve months later, some will be at #8, some #9 a few at #10. 

I imagine as fake milestones are hit, books will be renumbered back to the original numbering like marvel has done many times.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

And Jim Lee redesigned 50 Characters...

I foresee lots of short jackets and buckles

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

Alright. I can deal with this.

I was waiting an "ending" to some of the series I'm following (I wanted to cut off some books at the end of their current storylines), surely I couldn't expect someting so radical... As told before, I hope new readers can enjoy this new DC just like I enjoyed "my stories".

If there are new readers out there, of course.

Let's see the new creative teams, I could give some books a try. Aquaman, for sure, being drawn by Ivan Reis.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 11  

I thought Lee's Wonder Woman design was bad. And then I saw this Superman costume...

In the famous words of Samuel Goldwyn: Include me out!

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2011 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 12  

In the 90s I would never have thought the day would come I'd actually dislike Jim Lee. The guy is bad news. I haven't enjoyed ANYTHING from him after he left X-Men. I don't even consider him that good an artist anymore.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version