Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: 50 years of SPIDER-MAN! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

At one time I had every issue from Amazing Fantasy # 15 and Amazing Spider-Man # 1 to about #570 then Quesada got leaned on by the stockholders and created that moronic Brand New Day storyline and I left and I seriously doubt I'll ever return with that horrible level of management in place.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

That Sensational Spider-Man run with Todd DeZago was a real high point for the character in the 1990s.  Their first issue, Ben Reilly vs. The Looter, might be my single favorite issue from that decade (or the past 20 years, even).

++++++++++

I recall enjoying UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN, although that series suffers from some goofy retcons and villains being slipped into the chronology, as well as the fact, well...why would there even BE any "untold" tales in-between the original stories? Lee and Ditko told all the tales they wanted to tell!

Still, a title that at least felt like the real Spider-Man was refreshing during those dark, dark, Clone Saga days.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

I recall enjoying UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN, although that series suffers from some goofy retcons and villains being slipped into the chronology, as well as the fact, well...why would there even BE any "untold" tales in-between the original stories? Lee and Ditko told all the tales they wanted to tell!

••

I was told that was Ditko's response, too.

Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

I really enjoyed Untold Tales of Spider-Man--and the DeZago/Wieringo run
on Sensational Spider-Man.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

At one time I had every issue from Amazing Fantasy # 15 and Amazing Spider-Man # 1 to about #570 then Quesada got leaned on by the stockholders and created that moronic Brand New Day storyline and I left and I seriously doubt I'll ever return with that horrible level of management in place.

+++++++++

Of course, the marriage had been part of Spider-Man lore for nearly half his history at the time of that story.

Sure, a single Spider-Man is the purest version of the character, but it seems that all Quesada really did was alienate and enrage those fans still sticking around who supported "growth" and changes like the marriage!

Did Spider-Man's reversion (or devolution) to a single, casual-sex-having guy really bring back old-time fans? Or did it just drive off still more of the 60,000-70,000 or so (and fluctuating) readers still buying AMAZING?

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

I've always had three favorite superheroes, and Spider-Man has always been one of them. In many ways, he's the one I always felt closest too, since he was designed to be someone a kid could identify with.
I've always thought of it this way:
If I grew up to be the absolute best person I could be, maybe I could be like Captain America.
If I had the means, maybe I could be like Batman.
But if I found myself thrown into a situation where I had to use what I had been given for the best reasons in the face of great odds, I hoped I could be like Spider-Man.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

I recall enjoying UNTOLD TALES OF SPIDER-MAN, although that
series suffers from some goofy retcons and villains being slipped into
the chronology, as well as the fact, well...why would there even BE any
"untold" tales in-between the original stories? Lee and Ditko told all the
tales they wanted to tell!
••

I was told that was Ditko's response, too.

----

I recently read a post from Kurt Busiek stating that Marvel had almost
convinced Ditko to do another Spider-Man story until someone from
Marvel sent him copies of UNTOLD TALES and that torpedoed the
whole deal.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 8  

I recently read a post from Kurt Busiek stating that Marvel had almost convinced Ditko to do another Spider-Man story until someone from Marvel sent him copies of UNTOLD TALES and that torpedoed the whole deal.

••

Well, as long as Kurt's admitting to it, yes. That's what I heard from Ralph Macchio. He'd come within inches of convincing Ditko to do a new Spider-Man story, then Steve saw UNTOLD, took offense, and backed away.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 9  

I can understand that Ditko didn't like the idea of someone telling stories set in the same period that he was drawing Spidey's adventures, but how different is that sort of thing than all the retroactive continuity minutia that's sprung up over the years in the comics? It's also odd to me given Ditko's intentional dissociation with the character, and money pertaining to the character, over the years. 

I don't have a conceptual problem with Untold Tales anymore than I had one with The Hidden Years. Any long running comic can justify such a take. There is no way that we've seen ALL ten years or so of Spider-Man's life and adventures.

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 10  

...enrage those fans still sticking around who supported "growth" and changes like the marriage

Those types of fans the industry can do without.

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 11  

Those types of fans the industry can do without.
I think the industry could use all the fans it can keep at this point given the direction sales have been headed for years now.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 12  

One of these days, I'm gonna sit down and read 'em all in order, soaking in all of that history (good AND bad).

I tried this last year, Greg, but I found far too much bad immediately after Roger Stern left in the 80s. I had to stop. No regrets.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version