Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: 50 years of SPIDER-MAN! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

The biggest thing I miss about Spider man is his eyes.  John Romita and J.B did his eyes the best.  I hate the Mcfarlane giant bug eyes that everyone seems to be drawing now.
This. And I would add Gil Kane and Ross Andru to the list of "best eyes".

Edited by Ben Mcvay on 18 July 2012 at 1:24pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

A couple of months ago I picked up Essential Amazing Spider-Man Volume 8 (mostly because it was only $6) and discovered the Amazing Spider-Man comics of my youth!  I had never really considered Ross Andru's Spider-Man a favorite of mine, but my admiration of his work (and Mike Esposito) has grown!  Solid consistent work!

However, my favorite Spider-Man issues were drawn by Gil Kane, John Byrne, Rick Leonardi and JRjr when inked by Klaus Janson!

At the time I really liked Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man issues.  I remember thinking his artwork reminded me of Berkeley Breathed in "Bloom County", but I findTodd's art doesn't appeal to me now like it did back then.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Andrew, that's awesome. I have a page from that run too. It's from the -1 issue, a really heartfelt story about young Peter and Uncle Ben that came out of a weird marketing gimmick. I'd like to get a page from one of the Swarm issues, just to see all the individually drawn and inked bees. :)

I've got the last page of the Savage Land storyline.  Best part is a little cartoony Spider-Man popping up in the last panel introducing whatever story was coming up in the following issue.  Love that Wieringo art.

I'm a fan of Untold Tales of Spider-Man, unnecessary though it may be.  Great artwork from Patrick Olliffe and the legendary Al Williamson, fun stories from Kurt Busiek, and easy enough to ignore or treat as a "what if?" if you don't care for its place in the original Lee-Ditko stories.  When I re-read the Ditko issues, I don't hop back and forth between them and Untold Tales, and when I re-read a big stack of Untold Tales, I don't reach for the original comics.  As completely separate, complementary projects, I think there's room for both in my collection.   
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

A quick note of praise for... Jim Mooney!

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think Jim Mooney is a wonderful artist, I've been reading the issues of Spectacular Spider-Man he did. Lovely stuff.

Roger Stern's work on that title also blows me away. My two favourite things that Roger does is to get across to the reader that Spider-Man moves in a strange way and via Belladonna that he is indeed to supposed to be on some level a bit creepy.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

I guess I show my age by considering Venom to be a newcomer in the world of Spidey.... In fact, I sort of think of the black costume as being new, despite it being in existence for more than half of Spider-Man's 50-year history.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

You're not alone, Peter! I'm shocked when I realize that there have been many, many more issues of Spider-Man published AFTER I started reading it than before.  

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

A quick note of praise for... Jim Mooney!
Love his work. His Supergirl stuff was great also.

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

I had never really considered Ross Andru's Spider-Man a favorite of mine, but my admiration of his work (and Mike Esposito) has grown! Solid consistent work!

Andru really is a very good artist, in my opinion of course.  He and Conway were on the title when I first started reading it and I still love that run.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 10  

Ross Andru was brilliant when it came to making you feel like Spider-Man was part of New York.  I don't know if any artist has ever used the settings and architecture of a city as well as he did in his art.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 11  

Spider-Man might have the greatest legacy of artists of any character.  Check out this lineage:

Ditko-->Romita-->Kane-->Andru-->JRjr-->Frenz- ->Zeck

That's just looking at the core title from inception through the mid/late 80s.  Quite a streak!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 12  

And don't forget in addition to THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN we got Ross Andru, Gil Kane, Sal Buscema and Jim Mooney in the early issues of MARVEL TEAM-UP.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version