Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Once More, the Savage Land - 08.28.12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Took a few looks to realize that Nightcrawler was teleporting out of the jaws of danger!  Awesome!
Back to Top profile | search

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This is Rocksome!!!  I love how most of the characters appear to be enjoying themselves in the face(s) of danger!  THIS is the X-men I know and love.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Love it!

Casey

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2012 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yowza! That is just outstanding!

Man, I miss Banshee. Oh, and Nightcrawler. And Cyclops...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Excellent.

I'm always glad to see Banshee show up. It's an example of what I call the Adam Cartwright phenomenon. Adam on BONANZA, like Banshee in the X-Men, was the character who was gone by the time of the first episodes/ issues I saw, so I found them more interesting when I encountered them as I went back to earlier installments.   

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2012 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I really like it -- brings back some awesome memories of a great period of comics.

JB -- just curious.  The commission request listed the characters wanted, so I assume you charge by the character (as most artists do) and then charge for a background (as most do).  Then there's charges for pencil or inking or coloring, etc.

The request just sort of told you to have the chracters fighting dinosaurs (plural) -- was this an additional charge element to draw dinosaurs, even though it was The Savage Land?

I just ask since I can see people asking for commisison scenarios to get "free" elements -- "Please draw Superman protecting the crowd from  Lex Luthor's energy blast and Darksied fighting Green Lantern catching debris to stop it from falling on the innocent bystanders".

Oh -- and the Adam Cartwright phenomenon is similar to the Chuck Cunnigham situation from Happy Days.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Titanic !
What a commission !!!! So much happening !

Just one commission for Mr Byrne, I belive Colossus is the one X-Men you draw the more often very slightly different than during the 70's (less bunky ?). Is this a choice or is it because Terry Austin is not inking your commissions ?

BTW, I miss the "metal" reflects on Colossus armor (panel against Pierce for example)...  

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Beautiful!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Stunning piece! 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB -- just curious. The commission request listed the characters wanted, so I assume you charge by the character (as most artists do) and then charge for a background (as most do). Then there's charges for pencil or inking or coloring, etc.

The request just sort of told you to have the chracters fighting dinosaurs (plural) -- was this an additional charge element to draw dinosaurs, even though it was The Savage Land?

I just ask since I can see people asking for commisison scenarios to get "free" elements -- "Please draw Superman protecting the crowd from Lex Luthor's energy blast and Darksied fighting Green Lantern catching debris to stop it from falling on the innocent bystanders".

••

There is a flat base rate, which varies with the size of the commission -- 11x17, 18x24, 20x30, 30x40. That rate includes, if I remember correctly, six figures/characters. The backgrounds are included, unless the customer gets wildly specific. There is an additional charge for each figure/character over the basic six. On cover recreations/reimaginings, the logo and other cover dress count as a figure.

Many times I throw in additional stuff for free, if it fits the drawing. Basically tho, what you ASK for you PAY for.

Get in touch with Jim Warden for the full details.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

BTW, I miss the "metal" reflects on Colossus armor (panel against Pierce for example)...   

••

The amount of metal technique I put on Colossus depends on what he's standing in front of. In a shot like this one, for instance, where the background is very busy, a lot of metal technique might cause him to get lost against it.

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This is awesome!!! It's my favorite storyline from your run. As he should, Wolverine steals the show.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version