Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: January 6 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2022 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Romney definitely got railed harder than he probably deserved by the press, but it's true that he was an out-of-touch patrician oligarch at a time when a good deal of American society outright loathed that archetype.  Bad timing.  He'd have been... fine as a President, I guess? Certainly a much better example of what conservatism should be than either GWB or Trump. But he'd be much more focused on catering to his class than one who worked to fix deeper problems.  I'm not even sure if it would be a moral failing than one of just being deeply out of touch and blinkered by the weird bubble of always existing inside extreme wealth.

Romney's DAD would have been pretty good, though.
Back to Top profile | search | www

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2022 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Except we have proof of how Romney would have governed, by the way he ran Mass. as governor, where none of those stereotyping characteristics were manifest. By most accounts he was a very steadfast no-drama even-handed Republican governor of a Democratic state. He would have been an efficient, capable President. But depending on the times, that's not all that is required.   < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2022 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes and no.  Romney 2012 ran pretty far to the right of the Romney of years prior, including running against Obamacare - which was modeled directly on the health care policies he enacted in Massachusetts.  And I can’t remember the exact wording, but he described himself as “extremely conservative” in direct refutation of his more centrist time as governor.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2022 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

How you campaign often has little to do with how you govern, they have to do with who you're campaigning against and the votes for whom you're campaigning. The guy had a track record that we can actually examine is all I'm saying. 
And hey, I didn't vote for him, but not because I felt he wouldn't be a capable president. It was because I felt the moment called for more than just that level of evaluation.   < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2022 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Romney has no future.  

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2022 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think both Clinton and Romney have become unelectable.  

It will be interesting to see what the Dems do in the next election.  2020 Biden characterized himself as a transition candidate, and clearly implied he would only run for one term, but now he is hinting he may run again.

Anything can change in the next two years, but right now Biden looks very beatable (weakest incumbent since Carter IMO, including Bush 1).  It will only get worse for him if Reps retake the House in 2022, because Biden will be unable to accomplish anything in the second half of his term.  In 2024 Republicans will portray him as a weak and ineffective leader who failed to beat Covid, and botched the Afghanistan withdrawal.

Dems can see this coming, which sets up another potential problem: Progressives may not support Biden.  The progressive wing of the party believes that Dems are losing elections because the candidates backed by the party establishment are too moderate to appeal to the base, and are not able to create enough enthusiasm among liberal voters. The left may oppose Biden in 2024 if they perceive him as too weak. 

If things are already stacked against them, Dems can't afford a 2024 primary wherein the main candidates do significant damage to each other.

Question:  Who can the Dems run in 2024 that will appeal to both sides of the party, and is willing to challenge the incumbent Democratic president or VP?  Or will Biden/Harris get out of the way if their popularity remains low?

For Republicans, I agree it all comes down to Trump.  There is no doubt his influence on the party looms large, and that is also problematic.  As we saw in 2020, nobody can bring out Democratic voters or push independents to the left better than Trump can, and the part of the party that are not part of his loyal base have turned against him completely.  He may be the strongest candidate in Republican primaries, but the worst possible Republican candidate to have in the general election.  Republicans have to find someone who can beat Trump in the primaries, or figure out how to keep him from running again.  

Interestingly, we seem to be pushing successful candidates in both parties further and further from the center, which is where most of the voters actually reside.  In the last two elections, I would have happily supported Democratic centrists like Delaney over Trump, but none could gain any traction in the primaries.  Likewise, there were several Republican candidates I would have preferred to DT, but he destroyed them.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2022 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Romney was a snake oil salesman back when he ran for President, and I would likely have voted for anyone who ran against him. That said, I'm glad he's grown more of a backbone since then. But I still wouldn't vote for him.

My thoughts regarding both parties right now are not great. I can sum it up as "The Democrats have no balls, the Republicans no hearts, and both are short on brains." 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2022 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Romney isn't someone you'd want as a friend, or to rely on if you ever found yourself in a squeeze, but I suspect he'd be a hell of a lot more capable at running the machinery of government than either Trump or Biden (or W. for that matter).

I'd sooner trust him to run the US than look after my dog, mind...

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2022 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Based on his Massachusetts governorship, Romney could have been a capable executive. However there were red flags. He explicitly promised his obeisance to the religious right so effortlessly made me wonder how many federal departments would be dumped into evangelical Christian irrationality.

One of the factors in Romney's loss was his reliance on "unskewed" polling, right wing magical thinking which held that Obama's consistent polling lead reflected liberal media bias and good, hard-working Americans feeling ashamed to admit their real preference to pollsters, for numerous reasons that didn't include racism. It steered his campaign off one of its many cliffs and certainly didn't foretell reality-based governance.

Maybe Romney would have been cynical enough to betray his right wing, but even if I liked him overall at all, I wasn't going to bet abortion access on it.

Edited by David Miller on 14 January 2022 at 10:29pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2022 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Here's an interesting read:

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2022 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The Republican National Committee today officially (and shamefully) embraced the BIG LIE....their party position on the January 6th insurrection was that it was a “legitimate political discourse.”

Where does the madness end??

-C!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2022 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Each and every one of those rioters is pretty much a traitor. And so is the big orange idiot they were supporting.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version