Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.31--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2022 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It wasn't a bad review.   Had to read it twice to be sure of how I felt about it, but for the most part I came away with the impression that Mr. Sellers was more or less a fan of the work.  

From what I've read, he got the entire "How" and "Why" in regards to the creation of the series very wrong.  Other than that, he merely seemed to voice his opinions --  which taken on the whole are nothing but opinions, neither right nor wrong.  But overall, I read it as a review which came across as at least 70% favorable toward the project.  

If any comic geeks out there read that review but somehow haven't yet checked out ELSEWHEN ---  well, he offered up a nice enough plug which'll send at least a few of 'em over to check it out for themselves.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 February 2022 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The “how” and “why” of ELSEWHEN is a vital part of the whole project. It is disheartening beyond description to see it presented as something Marvel didn’t want. That I’m basically giving you scraps from the end of my career.

No matter what kind of praise might be sung of the work, without the proper CONTEXT—which is easily found here in the JBF—there is a spirit crushing shadow over the whole thing.

Jean Sterling Ajouissance
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There's the rub.  Anyone fond enough to view these works as end-of-career "scraps" is more than likely not a genuine comic fan to begin with.

I understand that we are all our own worst critics, but any shadow casting in regards to this project is wasted upon folks who wouldn't get it anyway.
Byrne Victims talk enough shop with our contemporaries to nip any of that misinformation in the bud, and we know your motivation & how it all went down with Marvel.  No one is buying that guy's casually inverted take on how you/we all got here.  The truth spreads, so you can rest easy on the whole aspect of context.  May be easier said than done, but hey.  Truth is truth.

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"No matter what kind of praise might be sung of the work, without the proper CONTEXT—which is easily found here in the JBF—there is a spirit crushing shadow over the whole thing."

Reassuringly, the article is only one person's opinion. Hopefully said spirit is equally buoyed by the many appreciative members of this forum's audience, who 'get it'. I don't have a website platform via which to extol this project's myriad virtues - but if I did, I would. But regardless of what any commentator says or writes, any reader with a brain between their ears will form their OWN opinion.

Edited by Dean Munday on 11 February 2022 at 5:28am

Jason Ladwig
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The “how” and “why” of ELSEWHEN is a vital part of the whole project. 
===========
Might it be worthwhile to have a FAQ button on the forum main page that specifically addresses Elsewhen.  FAQs like Why/how did it start, is it going to be published yada, yada.  Tedious I 'm sure, but in today's culture everything must be spoon fed. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There's a whole thread that details the origins of ELSEWHEN.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Now that’s a page, it has everything and not a lot at the same time!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Such a powerful page, without even a background. 
Jean is breathtaking.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Lutz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Totally enjoying the Phoenix elements you have created here, have no idea where this is heading and I'm loving it. This is a great read and I love the artwork. Thank you!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No, they were definitely broken.

•••

Even at almost three years in (!!) there still seem to be some people who don’t “get” the most basic point of ELSEWHEN: this is totally self-indulgent FUN.

I’m fully aware that what I’m doing here is not likely to have any effects at Marvel—tho it is not paranoia to note there are several people up there who wouldn’t hesitate to include scenes/moments/dialog intended deliberately to contradict what I’m doing here. That, in fact, is nothing new.

The notion that I’m using ELSEWHEN to “fix” things is absurd, of course. It’s perhaps even another reason this should never be published by Marvel. There are too many anal retentive fanboys who would start frothing at the mouth over such an “endorsement”.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm sorry that there are some out there who not only don't get the point, they don't do the most basic homework to find out the story. I worked for a newspaper for a few years and got to play reporter more than once; my copy editor would have told me to go back and try again if he'd seen a piece like that from me.

And I'm especially sorry if knotheads like this diminish your happiness and enthusiasm, JB. Not a single panel of this reads like how he describes. I hope you know that we know the truth.

I've shared links to ELSEWHEN on my social media pages and aim to keep doing so, telling those who see my posts that this is an alternate timeline for the X-Men picking up from the aftermath of the Dark Phoenix story. The reaction I've gotten has been very positive and several long-time comics readers (including some who'd quit the habit years ago) have told me that they enjoy this like nothing they've read since then.

Please don't let one numbskull and his devotion to a false narrative rob you of a moment's pleasure.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It seems to me that much of this recurrent nonsense springs from people who simply cannot comprehend the fact that anyone would NOT want to work for Marvel. It’s the ultimate dream of so many fans. If ELSEWHEN is not being published by Marvel, it can only be because Marvel doesn’t want it. Right?

<< Prev Page of 69 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version