The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: GOP gonna GOP (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

"I’m not understanding what the split is about."

---

I think that deep down it was known all along that Trump was never really the cause of this mess. He was just the right tool (and I DO mean "tool") for the job at the right time. This chaos-monkey faction of the GOP started fermenting back in 2008 with the Tea Party. Trump is no true Conservative - he cares only about obtaining and maintaining his own power and doesn't really have any other beliefs other than that besides keeping his own taxes low. He and the chaos-monkey faction used each other to get what they want, simple as that. So many R people hated Trump, yet voted for him anyway because he actually had a shot at getting Roe repealed, which happened.

But after his 2020 loss and the midterm reseults, it's clear that his luster has dulled. Aligning with him is no longer a surefire way to get what they want. And so in true current GOP fashion, self-interest wins out, and they'll go against him if they perceive that he'll damage their power, even if they say up front that they still love him. Don't forget his rally a while back where he told the crowd that he was vaccinated and they booed him!
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

Matt Gaetz has just voted for... Trump.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

There are at least five representatives who will not vote for McCarthy. The ONLY thing he could offer that they'd accept... is that he quit running.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

In a sane/normal/functional democracy what would/should happen would be a moderate speaker acceptable to members of both parties would be nominated and succeed to the chair. Unfortunately after over two decades of name-calling demonization of Democrats as evil/enemy/conspiring elitists beholden to foreigners (back to modern Haw-Haw Rush Limpbaugh with all his feminazis and evironazis blah blah blame with half-truths at best) many Republicans would lose their seat to more extreme member to work at all with the other party via their primary process.

I don't see this going anywhere good. A big reason I admire British Conservative PM Stanley Baldwin is that he worked with his opposition seeing it as part of the point of government; to work together and make compromises, not fan sparks of fascistic unilateral extremes... and that was during when Communist revolutions were very real ongoing and happening things, he worked with and even supported the labour leader MacDonald (if I'm remembering MacDonald's name right). Plus he stood up to Hitler/fascistic strongman idolatrist Edward VIII which stood the free world in good stead come WWII (the King who wanted striking union workers shot basically).

I guess I'm essentially anti-idolatry and anti-extremes. A little bit of that, a little bit of this, not so many rousing speeches, less celebrity.

Harumph.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 05 January 2023 at 6:45pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

McCarthy has already lost the eight vote. Couple of votes going the way of Oklahoma's Kevin Hern this time.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Apparently Matt Gaetz nominated Trump to be Speaker!! LMAO

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

"So are you going to end up with a speaker who is further to the right or
more moderate here?"

It could go either way.  I heard Ro Khanna doing an interview on the radio wherein he indicated he and other Dems would vote for a Republican speaker if they share subpoena power and agree not to shut down the government over the debt ceiling.

Those concessions may become more palatable if the far right Republicans continue to move the goal posts and demand more and more from McCarthy.  

At some point McCarthy will strike a deal with one side or the other.  

"There are at least five representatives who will not vote for McCarthy. The ONLY thing he could offer that they'd accept... is that he quit running."

McCarthy only has to sway one of the five.  He can win the speakership without four Republicans.

In my opinion, shared subpoena power is something that should exist regardless of which party is in power. If I were McCarthy I would throw that on the table to see if it is enough to garner some votes from Democrats.  In the alternative, that might panic the hard right holdouts into foregoing some of their demands and closing a deal to prevent him from working with Dems.

Edited by John Wickett on 05 January 2023 at 9:24pm

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

...and we're on the 10th vote.

doG Bless America!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

Witnessing history as McCarthy falls short for the tenth time. I heard he had already moved his stuff into the speaker's office space though. Awwww. "So so unfair. That I can tell you, believe me".

All that selling out and debasement and Trump ass-kissing for naught. Can't consort with the true evil enemy though (Pelosi's plorables?).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 05 January 2023 at 10:29pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

The nine under/over?

McCarthy has lost a tenth vote...

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2023 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

Thank god no one started a drinking for this.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 12  

...I'm willing to get one started now!!!  ;-)

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version