Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Guns. Again. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2022 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If the Tulsa thing yesterday was a best case scenario, police/security/good guys arriving within three or four minutes, four people were still killed and many other injured and severely effected.

I watched something on MSNBC about an 'anti' LGBTQ in Florida schools woman and could understand a bit about her desire for elementary schools (and maybe higher) to be a place without 'all this' confusing/upsetting/personal stuff. I'd like them to be fairly free of exposure to religious beliefs myself, more of it's there only if someone went looking for it as opposed to science classes made to be inclusive.

Guns however is a literally offensive issue that can be forced upon you by others, people should have the right not to feel pressure to join in some sort of civilian arms race, and we do see gun sales increase usually after these 'events' so obviously some more people are joining in or digging themselves in deeper!

As for media not effecting society... also just watched an MSNBC 'host' Joy Reid explaining about the real effects of the old Birth Of A Nation movie (or misinforming propaganda packaged as entertainment if you prefer) and how it was the biggest factor in the revival of the mostly moribund KKK!

I don't speak about video games as I was last 'in' to them in the very early '80s when the Atari 2600 was still the leader. I think it might feed frustrations or violent fantasies but as likely to be cathartic and a release for many? They certainly do have them and graphically violent comic books in Japan however, but they don't allow any 18 year olds semi-autos with large ammo clips!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2022 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Arm the nurses and doctors as well as the teachers?
Back to Top profile | search

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2022 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just arm everyone. Trade in society for the wild west. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2022 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

At least 9 shot, with 1 killed at a party early this morning at a strip mall about two miles from where I work -

link

Edited by Robert Bradley on 04 June 2022 at 6:34pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2022 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Also reported this morning: "3 Dead, 11 Wounded in Philadelphia Shooting"

Lest ye feel alone, in Canadian news is: "Two dead following Richmond shooting on Saturday", also a big run on handguns after Justin Trudeau made comments about looking at a 'freeze' of some kind on them. Always trying to catch up. :^/

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 05 June 2022 at 5:30pm

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2022 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This shooting happened near where I live a week ago.

Mal Gardiner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2022 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Simple solution - leave the gun rights as they are but crank the price of ammunition through the roof, slap a supertax on top of that, and divert the tax revenue to victim support groups. If you can’t afford ammunition, who cares how many guns you have? They’re just clubs! No mention in the 2nd Amendment about ammunition rights, is there?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2022 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Simple solutions only occur when the parties are willing.... right now all this anger/effort means nothing. The work is getting out there ithis fall and VOTING IN the right people at every level. Making the GOP a real minority in Congress might be the only solution for this country.

-C!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2022 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not that he should be above any criticism but it is truly maddening to see all the negative coverage on Biden including from his own party members sometimes for "not doing enough" about pretty much everything you can imagine. Just watched a Black Voters group leader on CNN on about how Biden's polling badly with their voters who feel he's not as sympathetic as they thought and might not vote b;ah-blah-blah, like they have no idea what is waiting in the wings??? Wow... very shocking. Like Obama for most of his tenure Biden has been hobbled by rogue faux-Dems (what do they actually support of the party platform?) with pretenses of principles to a minute degree and a faux "willingness to talk stance" in one case (but always ends up magically at the same place), plus outright determined obstruction from most of the only other major party so their "enemy" looses even where it severely weakens and damages the country and most people.

Drum up that apathy... it's helped the worst of the Limbaugh/Rove revolutionaries many times, especially at mid-terms, and the gerrymandering, roll purges and provisional balloting ought to finish things. And those Libs are thinking about grabbing your guns don't forget! Still teetering on that @#$%^&! cliff's edge! :^(

I really think some Dems/Libs are going to have to pack away some of their ideal "perfect" visions... slavery reparations, self-driving electric vehicles only, defunding the police, free this and that, emoting too forcefully over guns and their deaths, all kinds of things. I know they honestly think that uncompromised bold "solutions" will sell them into office, that compromise is as anathema to them as it is to the new breed brinkmanship Republicans... quoting something from the Bible or MLK Jr. as fitting all situations is never going to cut it in reality. There may be some things that are straight clearcut good vs. evil, like murder and stupid racism, but most times the truth is someplace in the middle and not with extremes. Balance, sustainability, competent people representing the interests of a majority and doing their job more than making a name as some historic leader or would-be visionary. If you keep waiting for one of those guess what, in the meanwhile you probably aren't getting one... you're getting Obama, Clinton, Biden... and Biden, your president, needs your support now, because who else is there and when are they showing up? Welcome back Trump can still happen amazingly enough, and you thought the first time around was fubar?

Thanks for this space to post my thoughts! I would hop and pray if I thought it would do any good, but it's looking extremely bad to me right now; darkest before the dawn?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2022 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The House passed the Protecting Our Kids Act yesterday and it goes before the Senate today, where it is expected to fail to secure enough votes.

When the bill was discussed before the House, Representative Jim Jordan said,  "The speaker started by saying this bill is about protecting our kids, but this bill doesn't do it. What this bill does is take away second amendment rights, God-given rights, protected by our Constitution, from law-abiding American citizens."

My question for him is: in what year did God first start draughting US laws?

Honestly, when it comes to background checks into mental health, perhaps something could be added when it comes to people who are creating US laws that they understand these things do not materialise from the supernatural, but are a man-made process.

Edited by Peter Martin on 09 June 2022 at 9:09pm

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2022 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

3 People Killed in Shooting at Maryland Business

....(country/western) concerts....grocery stores....elementary schools....colleges/universities.....businesses..... 

I guess a college football or NFL game will be next big mass shooting.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2022 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Overall, I think this is a pretty good statute, but there are a couple of major holes:

The exceptions to the ban on straw purchases/gun trafficking are so broad that they render the measure ineffective.  For example, the ban does not apply to the sale of any weapon if the purchaser has no reason to believe the recipient intends to use the gun to commit a crime.  Purchases of guns as gifts between family members are also exempted. 

While raising the minimum age to purchase a semi-automatic rifle from 18 to 21 is a step in the right direction, background checks must be improved to do a better job of screening out 21 year olds who are not mature enough or responsible enough to own a firearm.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version