Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Comics for kids. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So the medium/storytelling format is still accepted. It's something else that has gone wrong.

Bingo.

The comic format is great for any kind of storytelling. With small kids it has the added bonus of them learning to associate words and pictures and follow a story but it's also a great format for very adult stories that also benefit from the visual aid and the comic's format pace.

So, no rules. If the mainstream superhero comic books aren't even remotely as successful and widespread as in the old times it's entirely their own fault (and with that I mean their executive and editorial teams).

And obviously you can't blame the superhero concept not being popular these days, that's just ridiculous.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 25 June 2022 at 3:52am
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 3:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Have you seen the Bat-Family manhwa? 46+ million views, 1 million subscribers. A ton more eyeballs than any individual DC comic is getting and probably more than a lot of them are getting collectively. It’s a slice-of-life family comedy? I don’t really get the appeal, but that’s OK, because I am an old. 

I did check it out a few months ago because of the hype.

Same as you, I didn't get the appeal but I'm glad the kids (who are supposed to be the target audience for these) seem to like it,

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I always thought Larry Gonick's Cartoon History series should be in school libraries (though I'm sure in some parts it'd be blasphemous or somesuch and added to a burn list). Also Keiji Nakazawa's Gen Of Hiroshima, but I guess it's less likely today to find something educational in comics that would be enjoyable for readers and acceptable to the various factions among their parents (look at Maus getting the boot). I'm glad I saw those at an impressionable age, and also an E.C. reprint of a drug addict in withdrawal with no punches pulled... that one kept me from being remotely tempted by any hard stuff!

I learned a lot of different things reading Goscinny & Underzo's Asterix and Carl Barks' Donald Duck stories! Something along those lines can be found in the French Yoko Tsuna books, published in English by Cinebooks. That's exactly like what I'd have wanted to work on if I were making comics. Foremost entertaining, with the educational material also of real interest and inherent to the stories.

What I've seen of the new Ms. Marvel in comics (some with Squirrel Girl), and Miles Morales, also look really high quality from all angles (even not recognizing a single creator name listed). I got a free DC trans-alien type character comic in a recent order and that seems to be a totally new creation (and saw ads for the young adult romance Beast Boy and Raven books, though couldn't see if these were comics from the ad), so DC is putting things out as well which I hope do find a large audience.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version