Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: The Supreme Court Decision: Roe v Wade Struck Down Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The opening paragraph alone was so painful to read… Who are these
people? “Abortion on demand.” She makes it sound like it was a drive-
through service. Sometimes I think I started drawing as a kid just to create a
world that didn’t freak me out.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Denise Burke another deluded fool.

I love how all these types keep calling the more open minded among us "radical". Their sense of irony and self awareness is staggering.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 25 June 2022 at 8:40pm
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Women need protecting because they obviously couldn't make the choice for themselves.

Patronising? I think so [pats Denis Burke on the head. There, there, Denis, you go lie down and rest. It must be tiring treating women like young children.]

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 June 2022 at 5:01pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I can understand *some* of the reasonings, even though I completely disagree. But in the case of rape.....HELL NO.

Next thing you know, Thomas will want to make a ruling that a woman who was raped has to raise the baby...... 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It really is frightening how quickly and easily this situation has taken hold of, and happened in America. The Pandora's Box (which has always been bubbling away, but kept in check) opened up when Trump announced his run for President, and then began the mobilising of the GOP to finally get their plans moving.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It has taken decades of manipulation and maneuvering to achieve the Roe v Wade reversal. Not to mention dishonesty. It will be a long time, a great deal of pain and perhaps a few unnecessary deaths before it ever changes again. I don’t expect abortions to be legal in all states for the remainder of my life. I wonder if people will move away from with oppressive abortion laws.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The tumblers falling in to place has accelerated in the last few years, but the forces behind this have been planning it for literally decades. Go back ten years, you have the Koch brothers funding a wave of anti-choice bills clogging up the legislative agenda around various state capitols.

Go back just over 30 years, you have the same Koch brothers introducing the notion into popular politics that big government intrudes on our lives and is bad and the free market is freedom and nirvana. Government oversight of environmental protections, of education, of commerce all being rolled back to pre-enlightened times... All Koch ideas.

The New Right is a kind of late 70s thing.... As I say, with the Kochs as major funders, who were not all that interested in abortion, but were very interested in making a political force to push back on the government being nasty and stopping them from destroying the environment as a kind of collateral damage in their crusade to make as much money as humanly possible. That was a kind of tough political message to sell, so to gain more political weight, they folded in the religious right. Even the religious right weren't that interested in abortion in the 70s, but it became the easiest and most powerful political message for them all to rally around.

Given the above, there are very real reasons to believe it is the thin edge of the wedge.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Pandora's Box (which has always been bubbling away, but kept in
check) opened up when Trump announced his run for President, and then
began the mobilising of the GOP to finally get their plans moving

No. What really got them fired up was Obama being elected. A black man as
president is still anathema to them.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2022 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Not just a few deaths... mortality rates for mothers, already quite high in parts of the U.S., are said to go up 7% next year from this change backward, and up to 21% after that, which is why the medical community is almost unanimously against this striking down of women's health rights.

They had Maxine Waters on some show, someone I'd been critical of in the past and I was nodding my head about everything she said about knowing about what Trump was right off. I've found the same thing happening with most posters here lately too. :^O I think finer details can be important but ultimately tempests in teapots need to go aside, plus I really don't know what it has been like to live in the U.S. full time in quite awhile (I was there not much more beyond two months total while Trump was in). It is hard to see so many people genuinely torn up these days even from a fairly safe haven, and even harder counting up all the poisoned relationships I've known firsthand.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 June 2022 at 10:38pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2022 at 2:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No. What really got them fired up was Obama being elected. A black man as president is still anathema to them.

Agree.

Looking from the outside, when Obama was elected I was ecstatic but also fearful they would attempt on his life or something.

But they went real quiet (the Right I mean)... those years it seemed like the Right was a thing of the past. Also kinda the same feeling in the rest of the western world, that tends to follow the US political cycles in my opinion.

But something horrible was germinating there, and we didn't see it until it was too late. And now we're dealing with it, and losing.

Also worth noting that Obama had the majorities to codify Roe v. Wade and didn't because he had "other priorities". With the benefit of hindsight, his presidency is looking less and less rosy.

And that also shows a certain smugness (a common shared trait in us progressives)... the Right was a thing of the past, we thought collectively. This wouldn't come back to bite us.

And boy it sure did and will continue to do so. I wish I could say "lesson learned" but unfortunately I think we're not even remotely there.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 26 June 2022 at 2:13am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 June 2022 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Greg McPhee wrote:
It really is frightening how quickly and easily this situation has taken hold of, and happened in America.

As others have noted, this was not a "quick" win.  It started the moment Roe v Wade was announced 50 years ago.  It's been a constant drumbeat for as long as I can remember.  It may seem quick to those outside the US, but it's been simmering for decades for anyone who lives here.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 June 2022 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Rodrigo Castellanos wrote:
Also worth noting that Obama had the majorities to codify Roe v. Wade and didn't because he had "other priorities". With the benefit of hindsight, his presidency is looking less and less rosy.

We can debate Obama's legacy all day long, but let's be real: he had a majority for just two years: 2008-2010.  He didn't have it for a full term much less two terms.  Republicans won the House in the 2010 midterm elections and helped stall much of his agenda after they gained control. A huge plank of his agenda was the Affordable Care Act which was passed in the Spring of 2010 when he had a super majority, less than two years into his presidency.  We can, again, debate whether he should have focused on codifying abortion rights or worked to pass what is now considered landmark healthcare legislation in America until the cows come home.  Could he have done both?  Maybe.  But I think not.  It was a massive hill to climb to get the Affordable Care Act passed, even when his party controlled both houses, and diverting attention from that to also focus on Roe may have caved in both.  He made a choice.  To put other priorities in quotes as if they weren't as important considering the woeful state of health care in America is incredibly disingenuous.  

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version