Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: The Supreme Court Decision: Roe v Wade Struck Down Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

(..) a lot of guys on the teams I played on didn't even go to church.

The horror!

Kind of my point. No one on the team cares. Say the prayer, don't say the prayer, you don't have to tell the coach that you're going "sit this one out". Ultimately, you're not there for the prayer, you're there to play the game. Our star running back was HUGE partier, no one sat around and thought "He takes part in the pre-game prayer but he's gonna have a kegger at his house after the game. He's not a good Christian."  Each individual player could get something out of it or ignore it. Just win, baby.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 29 June 2022 at 4:18pm
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

... the general attitude of "hey, it's a free country and you don't have to participate in any of these things that are happening all around you"...

Coming from the opposite perspective, I said that exact thing to a person who was complaining about having Pride Month "forced" upon them. I'm not trying to stifle anyone with that philosophy, it's just what I believe.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 29 June 2022 at 4:24pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

So the supporters of praying coaches rights would be totally supportive of prayers of other religions being respected? Coach might want to get down on the ground and bow in a certain direction at a specific time, or a Buddhist priest offer 'voluntary' meditations with incense burned before and/or after the game. I'm going with the Vodou coach myself; cool drumming plus Papa Legba knows a lot of influential deities!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The most worrying thing for me about the Kennedy vs Bremerton case was the rejection by the Supreme Court of facts and truth.

Gorsuch wrote in the majority opinion that the coach offered his prayers quietly while the players were otherwise occupied.

Sotomayor in her dissenting opinion includes photographic evidence of the coach leading a sizeable group of players kneeling in prayer.

There can be no question, then, of whether the players were otherwise occupied.

Furthermore, Gorsuch concluded that it was not coercive as there was no reason to believe the team's players were expected to to participate with the actions of the rest of their team... Like, I don't know, some kind of team.

Edited by Peter Martin on 29 June 2022 at 8:50pm

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2022 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"So the supporters of praying coaches rights would be totally supportive of prayers of other religions being respected? Coach might want to get down on the ground and bow in a certain direction at a specific time, or a Buddhist priest offer 'voluntary' meditations with incense burned before and/or after the game."

I don't think that changing the religious preference of the coach makes a difference.  Speaking as an individual athlete, I would not have been offended or bothered by any of those things, unless an expectation was being created that I participate in them.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well, Jesus did caution against the hypocrisy of public worship!

He called it once again there! I like that Jesus guy just fine, it's his supposed fans I have a problem with.

That also happens to me with Bob Dylan.

Our star running back was HUGE partier, no one sat around and thought "He takes part in the pre-game prayer but he's gonna have a kegger at his house after the game. He's not a good Christian." 

And keeping on the same subject, it's NOT the blatant hypocrisy that's the problem. We all know that, and don't expect anything different from the church lot. 

But the fact that you state over and over that "nobody cares" but still mentally note who's going to church and who's not or who's having a kegger after the game, IS.

Just win, baby.

Bull.

When one quarterback decided to kneel during the National Anthem he lost his career in a second, the NFL went bananas and the President was personally insulting him on a daily basis.

The institution known as "The Football Team" (in my country it's more the what you guys call Soccer team or the Rugby Team in more elite circles but basically same dynamic) represents the status quo.

They don't encourage non-conformism in any way and are in fact profoundly scared of it. And yes, in my high school years I played in both the soccer and rugby team and it's not "just about winning" at all. It's about fitting in and doing what you're told.

And many times ostracizing those who don't. But I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys about it with your "Up to 11" sports culture of high school and college games being televised and packing stadiums.

Those kids can't afford critical or independent thought if they care about their social status, and at that age they very much do. So yeah, those prayers seem mandatory to me now, no matter how many "no one cares" you throw around.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
The most worrying thing for me about the Kennedy vs Bremerton case was the rejection by the Supreme Court of facts and truth.

Yep.  It's a clear indication that the majority has a preconceived political agenda that they wish to enact, regardless of facts.  Despite their hypocritical protestations to the contrary, they have embraced judicial activism and assumed the role of unelected super-legislators.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

But the fact that you state over and over that "nobody cares" but still mentally note who's going to church and who's not or who's having a kegger after the game, IS.

It's a general view of my teammates when I was in high school, you're giving it WAY too much weight. I state once again, I could have cared less who went to church. I don't believe that you and I (or most people) have shared the same experiences so I choose not to argue with you over how you view mine. 

I stand by my belief that coaches are brought in to win and players are there to win. We'll have to agree to disagree. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

President Biden now says he would support changing the filibuster rules to codify Roe v. Wade. 

Either we get the two pro-filibuster senators to agree or we need at least two more votes to blow up the filibuster.

-C!

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Annnnnnnd they've now struck down EPA regulations that have been in place since I was born. The Clean Air Act was signed into law by goddamn Richard Nixon, for heaven's sake. It effectively dealt with high-level environmental challenges like acid rain and smog, and kick-started the entire industry of non-fossil fuel sources, which is the economy of the future. 

The myth of a non-partisan Supreme Court has completely bit the dust - they're 100% delivering the modern-day GOP platform. And doing so with real relish, I might add.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 30 June 2022 at 2:41pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

“We do not inherit the World from our parents, we borrow it from our children.”

Well, fuck them, say the Republicans.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2022 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Can't Congress now pass legislation specifically granting EPA authority to limit emissions that were at issue in this ruling?

If votes aren’t there, we need to elect people to Congress who will provide these votes.

-C!

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version