Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: This should be much bigger news... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

On this day where we celebrate American independence, where "freedom" and "country" are tossed around like so many beach balls and idiots continue to light fireworks in desert-crisp environments ripe for wildfires like California, you've got a Governor in Tennessee who seemingly pushes back against diversity in education by aligning himself (and thus the state's education program) with the ultra-conservative Hillsdale College in Michigan.  

Dr. Larry Arrn, President of Hillsdale College, said this (among many other offensive and factually inaccurate things) per the article:

Arnn, who sparked controversy nearly a decade ago with a sarcastic reference to minorities as "dark ones," also took aim at what he said is an explosion of administrators in higher education.

"And the administrators you hire are all diversity people — and that helps you, by the way, with your federal requirements that you have a certain number by color," he continued.

"Now, because they are appointing all these diversity officers, what are their degrees in? Education. It's easy. You don't have to know anything."

The governor of Tennessee does nothing but sit quietly and nod at these statements.  When later questioned, his aides dodge the question of his acceptance of them.  They don't distance him from them, but instead essentially directed them to a political commercial for the governor who, I might add, in January stated he supported state tax dollars for private charter schools via Hillsdale because of their history of being "champions of American exceptionalism."

Happy July 4th!

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think America has left 'the slippery slope' phase and
moved in to the full on autobahn phase of discrimination.

And the reason I use America and not, say, the republican
party, is that the effects are being felt across all
America, and thus, the country as a whole has moved into
this phase.

Someone needs to sit people down in front of things like
ROOTS, MISSISSIPPI BURNING, BIRTH OF A NATION etc and make
them understand that these are NOT aspiration. These are
things to be avoided.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was rather hoping the 21st Century would be a forward-looking time of hope and real progress in every human endeavor.  Instead, we seem to be getting generally worse.  Our ancestors and antecedents of civilizations past, however brutal they may have been would totally recognize us as people.

Carl Sagan (humanist that he was) once said: “It will not be we who reach Alpha Centauri and the other nearby stars. It will be a species very like us, but with more of our strengths, and fewer of our weaknesses. More confident, farseeing, capable, and prudent. For all our failings, despite our limitations and fallibilities, we humans are capable of greatness.”

I would like to believe that we are, but I absolutely believe the "It will not be we" part.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I’ve given up hope for America going forward.   The midterm elections will hopefully SHOCK me into feeling differently.  But I’m done being optimistic.  

We shouldn’t be where we are now.  But we are.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

We’re being faced, once again, with a reminder that America is more than New York and California. This is the “legacy” of Barack Obama. Eight years of a Black man in the White House scared a lot of people. Scared them enough to elect a thug to the same office, as long as he was White.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DAP,

Unless White women vote in droves to kick out folks that want to control their bodies, and VOTE BLUE, we're all fucked.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"... Scared them enough to elect a thug to the same office, as long as he was White."  < id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

... And male. I also think it was the audacity (no pun intended) of proposing that a woman immediately succeed him that was the the real topper. That would mean a generation where a straight white male wasn't running the show.

Even with the Supreme Court being as conservative as it is now, I'm sure it still grinds their gears that it is no longer a SWM majority court. 

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"Unless White women vote in droves to kick out folks that want to control their bodies, and VOTE BLUE, we're all fucked."
< id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">

If you couldn't get them to vote for Hillary against that putz, you aren't getting them to come out for this either.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Abortion might alter the dynamics of this midterm election, maybe, but we'll see. It depends on whether Dems can all sing from the same hymnal and pound on the Republicans relentlessly-- and that has never been a thing Democrats are good at doing.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Very true, Andrew. 
< id="protanopia"> < id="deuteranopia"> < id="tritanopia">
More to the title of this thread, it is appalling that they (both proponents and detractors) don't make more of the fact that Biden has successfully resurrected, motivated, and expanded NATO to fulfill its original mandate, showing the U.S. leading on the world stage in a manner actually befitting our standing. 
If we have to endlessly condemn him for the manner of the exit from Afghanistan, he deserves equal credit if not more for how he has led NATO.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

JJ

Yeah.  I almost made my point down to that detail, but I left it in general terms.

Just saw that there was a mass shooting in Highland Park, Illinois during a 4th of July parade.  How fucking American is that?!

I give up.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 04 July 2022 at 5:31pm

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2022 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

How fucking American is that?!

Here in 2022, it's VERY American!!!!

Could you really imagine this say....10-15 years ago?....  or last century?

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version