Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: Trump Loses Support… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

Interesting take by Bill Maher on the current state of both parties and Trump's chances in 2024.

Back to Top profile | search

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

I believe the strategy is to indict Trump every few months - for something.  Next up could be Atlanta.  Then the "insurrection" might come.  Or something else.  

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2023 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 3  

How are his comments about Bragg and his daughter obstruction in your opinion?

======================================================

John, his commets against Bragg and Judge Merchan can have an effect as follows:

• Do statements have a “reasonable likelihood” of possibly preventing a fair trial?
  • Trump has no right to influence jurors or to threaten or incite violence. In that courtroom, he is only a defendant. And he cannot hide behind the First Amendment.
  • As Cy Vance said in an interview on Tuesday with the BBC "There is a crime. That’s called obstructing governmental administration under New York law".

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2023 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

Considering Bragg declined to bring the case at first and then later on took it up, and considering that he campaigned (somewhat, you could argue) on "getting" Trump, I think ultimately he decided to bring charges for a number of reasons. 

1) He honors his pledge of having gone after him

2) He goes down in history as having been the first to indict him

3) It takes the heat/sting off of the other prosecutors who make hesitated from charging Trump because of the "unprecedented" nature of the step. Second and third positions don't make history or face as much scrutiny.

4) He's gambling that it doesn't really matter if he's convicted of this one because he'll soon be pre-occupied with much more serious charges stemming from the Jan 6. and Georgia cases, not to mention the Carroll case where he has to testify. 

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2023 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

4) He's gambling that it doesn't really matter if he's convicted of this one because he'll soon be pre-occupied with much more serious charges stemming from the Jan 6. and Georgia cases, not to mention the Carroll case where he has to testify. 

=======================================================

I think I said up thread that this may be the case that Trump will get so focused on this that the other cases will hit him, and he wont be ready for it. Trying to juggle 4 legal battles while trying to run a campaign? 

Good luck.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 April 2023 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

I very much doubt he’s “juggling” anything. He seems utterly incapable of acknowledging any kind of wrongdoing on his part. I’m sure he can’t imagine himself in any kind of legal danger.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2023 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 7  

The minute they fingerprinted him he knew this was the beginning of the end, he just needs to drive the narrative his way as much as possible to take advantage of whatever influence he has left for posterity. 

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2023 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

"4) He's gambling that it doesn't really matter if he's convicted of this one because he'll soon be pre-occupied with much more serious charges stemming from the Jan 6. and Georgia cases, not to mention the Carroll case where he has to testify."

I don't think this is a factor.  If Trump's attorneys win a dismissal there will be serious egg on Bragg's face, and Trump's whole narrative will be bolstered.  

From what we've seen, this is a risky case for the prosecutor to bring, because the statutes of limitations have run on the underlying offenses.  If Bragg can't prove Trump intended to commit fraud AND that the purpose of the fraud was to cover up another crime, then this case will be dismissed.   Because of the risk, and because of the potential impact on the election if the case is dismissed, filing these charges would be a DUMB move if this were politically motivated, or if he just wanted to be the first person to charge Trump.  

For those reasons, I think Bragg believes he has come up with a strategy that will enable him to win.

"I very much doubt he’s 'juggling' anything. He seems utterly incapable of acknowledging any kind of wrongdoing on his part. I’m sure he can’t imagine himself in any kind of legal danger."

Trump is smart enough to understand the legal jeopardy he's in, and he's got great lawyers to explain it to him.  I think his ego creates a huge blind spot that impacts his judgment, because he is arrogant enough to believe he can always escape accountability.  

Unfortunately, so far he has always been proven right.  I thought his campaign was finished when the tape of his comments on the bus came to light, but somehow he beat that.  Since then there have been several instances when I thought there would be accountability, but he has dodged them all.  

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2023 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm of the view the Bragg case will result in a guilty verdict, unless Trump's attorneys can get a venue change.  Manhattan is almost all Democrats.  They're not going to send back an innocent verdict.  Trump is hated like few people I've seen.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2023 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 10  

I dislike Trump, but I don't see the easy win here. It seems a stretch -- like the average person will shrug their shoulders, even if they see the obvious wrong.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2023 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 11  

Or to put it another way, it's not a sexy crime despite the sex.

When someone is told: this is usually a misdemeanour, but in this specific contingency it's a felony, I think most people take a kind of approach of averages and are reticent to go beyond the norm.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 April 2023 at 4:04am | IP Logged | 12  

Couldn’t the same have been said about Al Capone and his tax charges? Personally, I’m of a mind that if they can prosecute a guy who has been gaming the system for nearly 60 years, been absolutely corrupt for a large majority of his life? Get him.  Don’t care what statute, however vague or infinitesimal it seems.  Just get him like he’s gotten hundreds of thousands of others totaling millions (quite possibly billions) of dollars.

That said?  I agree with most.  He’ll not spend a day in jail.  

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version