Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: Trump Loses Support… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 1  

Agree that Sanders is a cartoon.  But certainly, so too is Trump.  Fight fire with fire.  Any election in Which Trump is participating in becomes about personality rather than policy.  Trump is all over the map on policies, he's hardly a traditional conservative Republican in his views on foreign policy, tariffs, or social security.  People support him because of his personality and who he is, not because of anything specific he says he will do.  Sanders would struggle mightily against any normal Republican candidate, but with Trump taking the focus completely off any sort of serious policy discussion he would benefit. 

I also think Sanders could have beaten him in 2016 because Trump's victory in large part was keyed by populism and working class voters abandoning Clinton.  Those people likely would not have abandoned Sanders in the same numbers.  It's interesting that 12% of Sanders' primary supporters voted for Trump, which pretty clearly illustrates that for both Trump and (some) Sanders supporters personality was more important than policy.  Obviously anyone who would support Sanders in the primary and then vote for Trump either knows nothing or cares nothing about policy.

By no means would I want to see Sanders run next year though, and I do not think he could win then, simply because of his age.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 30 March 2023 at 12:57am
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 2  

It's interesting that 12% of Sanders' primary supporters voted for Trump, which pretty clearly illustrates that for both Trump and (some) Sanders supporters personality was more important than policy.  Obviously anyone who would support Sanders in the primary and then vote for Trump either knows nothing or cares nothing about policy.

———

I had a friend who was a Bernie Bro, and he was very much into policy. He initially considered Trump as a second choice despite being aware that Trump was a clown and opposing everything about the Republican Party. His rationale was that the status quo was in need of disruption, and despite Trump being an idiot, he would provide this disruption. He quickly came to his senses and realized that the negatives outweighed the positives, but I can see a lot of people using the same rationale. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 3  

I never ever saw the appeal of Sanders, to the point that I would voted for Hillary over him if I had bothered to vote in the primary. He's the very definition of the grumpy old man who yells `YOU KIDS OFF OF MY LAWN!' trope with some ideas that wishful, never gonna happen thinking.

But I would have voted for Sanders over Trump.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 4  

When Hillary Clinton was struggling against Sanders, and it was first being reported that Biden was considering being a candidate, that was about the only the glimmer of hope I had in that election. Not that I was convinced Trump would beat Clinton, but it did seem possible because she was such a weak candidate in terms of mass appeal. Biden coming in at the point felt almost like a chance to be rescued. ...oh well....

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

This "a weak candidate in terms of mass appeal" who got almost three million more votes than the 'winner' type of stuff is the sort of illogic that drives me up a wall... it also never ends. Repeat something, a 'feeling', any flaw simplistically exaggerated like a political cartoon, or outright lies, often enough and it becomes solid enlarged reality? This is what you also want to participate in? Well, this is how you get where things are... teetering on the brink as a functional democracy (according to a conservative justice warning people).

If you're going to join in with it then perhaps you have to got the full route and become give no inch robo-troll types yourselves and tag, bombard and batter 'the enemy' with masses of slurs and innuendos? I don't know... this is right where hopeless lives in my opinion. Bernie is a skilled and very useful representative to have around, I like him as a person and feel people should be thankful for him as for any of these truly well intentioned people; can't one simply say they aren't their choice for a president? You are the bosses in a democracy, you are looking to fill an important position... are you going with an equivalent of didn't like their t-shirt, or they had an accent that irritated? If you are lucky enough to find someone competent all this 'like' and 'don't like' needs to be way down the list for future success.

Blame and scapegoats looking back is a waste of time in a very serious situation where time is rapidly slipping away now. So sure, Biden old, sleepy, slow... throw him away... there you go, Bye? But I don't want bye... so let's get smart, get behind someone provably competent and experienced. Obviously it is very important! While you sit around smugly feeling wise in blaming whatever Democrat time can run out because it absolutely "can happen here", as Nashville and Uvalde and many other places find out, and gay married couples and young rape victims are experiencing first hand in some states.

And now the NY hush money campaign finance violations case seems to be on ice, and the Georgia Republicans are putting themselves in a position to close the case there with new powers and punish that prosecutor for doing their job as they are supposed to like they punished the man who stood up to pressure to 'find' votes. Tick tick tick y'all. :^(

Funny how it's the supposed 'strongman' type of personality that so often leads a nation to weakness and injury. The strutting posing ego-driven sorts are rarely much good... I at least see some real strength (as well as important real experience) in Joe Biden even though of course I don't always agree with every move. Why roll the dice and undermine by a focus on looking for flaws when your current guy is pretty solid. Then again, I think term limits are a huge mistake and seem in a minority of opinion there (you get somebody good and because someone powerful disliked FDR 'redistributing' wealth during a huge crisis they did nothing to fix everybody after has to go after two terms?)

Are people really communicating their thinking or just repeating things to look wiser than another? I'll look a fool if I think I might have something that will really help. I don't want a tombstone that says 'told ya so' about who I blamed, I want a hopeful future. Anyway, in a democracy, aren't 'we the people' ultimately to blame?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Well, the FIRST president in U.S. history has been indicted. LINK

He’ll soon be booked, fingerprinted and have his mug shot taken when he’s processed by law enforcement. 

-C!

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

The worst 30 seconds of Stormy Daniels' life could literally save American democracy!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

The worst 30 seconds of Stormy Daniels' life could literally save American democracy!

———

It bears repeating that Trump is a symptom of the current state of things, not the cause. The GOP has Trump 2.0 sitting in the wings. I hesitate to call him more competent (look at what Disney did to DeSantis yesterday), but he’s certainly less erratic. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2023 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 9  

All the sources of information up until the announcement had experts saying nothing would be happening for around a month on it. There's way too much speculation and opinion going out under the term 'news'.

I will be surprised if cuffs are used. Imagine though if they had done what should have been done way back over the jewelry import tax evasion scheme he was part of that involved the postal service? Maybe he'd even have been less able to pretend to be a successful business man on tv and in books?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 31 March 2023 at 12:20am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2023 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 10  

He’s been INDICATED!

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2023 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 11  

I guess this opens the door to any hyper partisan DA indicting political enemies on fake charges. Hooray?

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2023 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 12  

Jozef: because it didn't happen before?

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version