Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 37
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.32--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2022 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB wrote:
New toys are always BETTER. They must be used and used and overused. Remember color holds?

I don't remember color holds---I look it up---but today's "new toy" is AI generated art.  Professional illustrators are in an absolute tizzy this year because they are certain robots will replace them in the near future.

I'm not sure where Mr. Byrne stands on Frank Miller's work, but here's an article written my a fellow who approached DC to tell them that were using the entirely wrong STYLE of coloring for Miller's recent work.

Back to Top profile | search

Dean Munday
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2022 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Boy, I could write an essay on what's wrong with how comics are produced today. As a lifelong reader, with the means to feed my habit, I am of the perfect potential demographic to consume; something I did at great (but never regretted) cost for decades. Today I regularly purchase ZERO comics. Sure, I follow the news, visit the store, flick through the issues - but nothing grabs me like a random issue off the newsstand did 40 years ago. Those ancient tomes may not have featured 'cool' artists or 'edgy' authors - but boy did those guys & gals know how to tell & illustrate a narrative story. No mess, no fuss, just getting to the point ASAP. It was wondrous. It was consuming and enthralling. And it still is, today. I would rather re-read my old favourites than endure what passes for comics today. I used to feel I was invested in an ever-emerging, ongoing narrative of beloved characters. Now titles are rebooted annually. Each reboot adopts an approach that largely ignores everything that went before. If anything, I just feel sad that generations younger than myself will never know the wonder I experienced, unless they are a particular breed to seek out and appreciate the produce of yesteryear.

Jason Ladwig
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2022 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well said Dean.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 February 2023 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It was long said that comics were an Art Form masquerading as a business. This was never really true. Business masquerading as an art form was closer to the mark--and only if we allow a very generous use of the term "art form".

From their very inception, the half-tab format "comic books" were all about economics.

Sadly, altho there were some brilliant art and stories in the mix ("diamonds in the garbage") the bean counters always had their eye on the bottom line. With the coming of the Direct Sales Market, this became even more the case.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 37
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version