Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Your Favourite Iron Man Runs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2022 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

1. Michelinie/Layton/Bright/Guice (armour wars was memorable, the whole run was notable for its length and quality and they introduced some important elements/characters)
2. Byrne/Romita Jr (very short, very good, kind of bittersweet that JR Jr left so soon though. Paul Ryan is a good artist, but it wasn't the same for me when he took over) 
3. O'Neill/Bright (short and sweet from the classic double-sized intro of the Silver Centurion and Iron Monger armours to 208. I didn't really care for the O'Neill issues until Bright came aboard)
4. Michelinie/Layton/Romita Jr (seems a little odd to put it this low, but I do rate it lower than those above).

And I don't have a fifth entry.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2022 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

O'Neill did seem to be more energised with issue 200 and the arrival of Mark Bright, and his issues after 200 were great.

I liked him building AIM up as a big threat, but that seemed to fall aside after Michelinie / Layton returned and they brought back Justin Hammer and introduced The Ghost (not bad developments by any stretch).

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2022 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I wonder how many people here have tried the 1998-2000 Iron Man? The one that started after the pointless Extreme/Image 'Reborn' year-long debacle? I'll vouch for #1-#25 at least. I know the Busiek/Perez/Vey Avengers from then are well thought of. I found the Iron Man, Captain America and Thor titles to be quite good as well, and the first few Fantastic Fours also. I'm not sure there have been many outstanding runs on Iron Man; Gene Colan and George Tuska were never bad and had long runs. I thought Paul Ryan did some top work with Bob Wiacek, but Fin Fang Foom could've turned my head.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 10 August 2022 at 11:52pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2022 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I wonder how many people here have tried the 1998-2000 Iron Man? The one that started after the pointless Extreme/Image 'Reborn' year-long debacle? I'll vouch for #1-#25 at least.

======================================================

Rebecca, I included that run by Busiek and Chen (and latterly Roger Stern), in my picks. Good stories that built on the work of John Byrne and Len Kaminski (and wisely ignored the horror that was Terry Kavanagh's run) with the use of the Dreadnoughts, Black Widow, Firebrand, Whiplash, Spymaster, The Mandarin, Fin Fang Foom and Ultimo as villains.

I gave up on Iron Man a few issues in to Joe Quesda's run, and on Marvel in general around 2000 / 2001.

After the goodwill that Heroes Return had generated with The Avengers, the FF, Iron Man, and Captain America was tossed out the door by Bill Jemas, I soured on Marvel

Herm Chin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2022 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I also enjoyed the Matt Fraction/Salvador Larroca run. Certainly an up period in Shell head's time.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2022 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
I gave up on Iron Man a few issues in to Joe Quesda's run, and on Marvel in general around 2000 / 2001.

Yeah, that's about how far I got too; partway into 2001 with just a few titles having given up on others. Other than facsimiles and True Believers reprints that's about where it stands, although I do go forward into the mid 2000s on some DC comics.

Bob Layton almost seems like someone born to at least ink Iron Man. He was an antidote to the artists before that made the armor not look very metallic nor rigid at all. Unfortunately he tended to make everything shiny like that sometimes, but with Iron Man or the Sentinels it was a great fit. I think Neal Adams and Barry Smith did good Iron Man in The Avengers, but there was often something a bit off when Jim Starlin drew him (although I loved his cover on Iron Man #160). Dr. Strange seemed to get some great, if relatively short runs, in his time and Iron Man seems like he could've had some of those but didn't. Ken Steacy doing a two-part Marvel Fanfare with IM made me wish for a mini or limited series at least with him.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 11 August 2022 at 8:14pm

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2022 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Kurt Busiek's Iron Man run: it was ok, but not as good as his Avengers.
The late 90s Iron Man is good up to the end of the Busiek/Stern/Chen run, the Queseda stuff that comes after isn't my cup of tea at all, and i wonder how much it was done by Joe Q because of the bad blood between him and Bob Layton at the time (because of what happened at Valiant when Joe Q was the artist on Ninjak, if i remember well Layton fired him for being late or messing the job one way or another). They finally put it behind them at the time of the first Iron Man movie, but in the late 90s and early 2000s they were not on speaking terms.

Fraction/Larrocca: I liked what i read of it.

Some of the mini series by Michelinie & Layton are good too, starting with Iron Man: Bad Blood in the late 90s (around the end of the Busiek/Stern/Chen run and the begining of the Joe Q one), and the more recent (2013) Iron Man #258 1-4, with Dave Ross on the pencils. In the 2000s there were other mini-series and one-shots that are not on the same levels, and if i understand well, not satifying for the authors, but those two are good. Dave Ross inked by Bob Layton is pretty fine! and Michelinie and Layton gave us here a complement to their second run. Very good stuff.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 12 August 2022 at 11:18am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2022 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Bad Blood was good. There was also a two volume sort of origin recap, a bit like an X-Men #138 expanded.

There were some Keith Pollard issues in the late '70s where I'd have liked him as regular Iron Man artist, he did some Spider-Man and then, for a longer time, Thor. I bought his Thor regularly.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2022 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I own one issue of IRON MAN.

I bought it for the cover.

Gil Kane was the Man.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2022 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Kurt Busiek and Patrick Zircher produced a two part mini in 1998 called "The Iron Age" that tells the story of how Tony goes from being a spoiled irresponsible rich kid to the successful head of Stark Industries, and how Republic Oil and Natural Gas morphed in to Roxxon Oil. It also highlights the bulky gold armour.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version