Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Yes, Another Alpha Flight Question for JB... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2023 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Agreed, Andrew. Mantlo was just a horrible fit for Alpha Flight (conversely, I remember his early White Tiger stuff and the character's appearances in Peter Parker, which I enjoyed).

AF just seemed to have a different flavour to the rest of the Marvel universe (slightly 'apart', a little like Moore & Davis' Captain Britain). 

JB's run remains the benchmark, with no one else coming close (the Claremont/Smith X-Men/AF mini was the best of the rest).

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2023 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was a whiplash of a transition.  I can sort of appreciate the idea of trying something different, but what was delivered was so off base with the initial JB run that I couldn't engage with it at all.  All the characters behaved out of character, things that had been open mysteries were answered badly, and things that were already narrative done deals were exhumed and carelessly heaped back in their coffins. Even Mignola's art couldn't keep me buying, though admittedly that was a little bit before he became, y'know, MIKE MIGNOLA.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2023 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Looking back it's amazing how little time it took from AF for him to become MIKE MIGNOLA. By 1988 he was doing the A Death in the Family covers, which to me look like his famous style.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2023 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB made me care about the characters, so I stuck around for a bit.

But the final issue (and straw) for me was the one where Roger Bochs of all people went insane.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2023 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'd been following Mignola a little bit before he started his AF run, having first seen him on the Rocket Raccoon mini, and I really enjoyed his art on that.  To such a degree that adjusting to his mature style took me a little time. 

Weird how time seems so expansive when you're a kid - in my mind, there were ages between his Rocket Raccoon and Alpha Flight runs, but a quick lookup shows there were only a couple of months between the last issue of the former and his first of the latter.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 11 January 2023 at 9:58pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2023 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I was sold on Mignola from his HULK run.

Harry Dounis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2023 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Viewing anything after issue #28 as fan-fiction as Andrew said is the only way I can see enduring that dumpster fire. Now if only JB would grace us with another run or an Elsewhen...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2023 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Honestly, that's how I would restart (not reboot) the book:
Judd is sitting in a chair reading a pile of ALPHA FLIGHT comics and laughing his ass off. Glances at the reader and says "They sure had some funny ideas about what we were doin' up here, ay?" Next panel, we see he's talking to Hudson, who gives him a rueful smile. "Well, after Department H agreed to license our 'adventures' to a publisher... and we didn't have a whole lot of big adventures... I guess it was inevitable."
Then we see Mac now has a prosthetic leg (courtesy of Madison Jeffries) and some visible injuries--we find out how he got those later--and we settle into the first story arc: THE REAL STORY.
And, for those who liked AF's stories post-JB, it would NOT say that those stories didn't happen... but that something else was going on and there's a continuity apart from all of that. (I'm not a fan of the overworn trope 'everything you know is a lie!' because that's really disrespectful to creators who were doing their best, even if their best wasn't very good.)

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 12 January 2023 at 1:50pm

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2023 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just grateful for the whole 28 and the time it came out being my early to
mid teens. It grew me up good.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2023 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm glad JB was on the book as long as he was. AF was a special book in his hands and, for my money, never flew as high as when he wrote and drew it.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2023 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The odd thing about JB's Alpha Flight is that it feels intimate and personal, which is surprising as JB has said that he didn't really feel that connected (is that the right word?) to it.  The book ended up being a major stepping stone for me from superhero books to 'alternative' comics, and from my childhood love of comics as stories to my adult appreciation of comics as an art form.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2023 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If AF feels “intimate and personal” it’s probably because I wasn’t drawing (no pun) on decades of established Marvel lore. I was very literally making it up as I went along, which meant some deep dives into my own head.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version