Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Ditko in the ’70s (and beyond) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2023 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Odd Man ran in a Detective giant but was originally slated for the issue of Static that wasn't published... I wonder if he'd started on a second Odd Man story?

The Stalker was another '70s comic with Ditko & Wood on some of it's four issues.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2023 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Odd Man story had been intended for the unpublished Shade, the Changing Man #9.

All four issues of Stalker had Ditko/Wood covers and art.
Back to Top profile | search

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2023 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Odd Man made a cameo appearance in a 25 page Creeper story by Ditko, which was intended for Showcase #106 but turned up in Cancelled Comics Cavalcade #2 and The Creeper by Steve Ditko hardcover collection. Some of the dialogue in the Odd Man story in Detective Comics #487 had been modified from the version in Cancelled Comics Cavalcade #2.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2023 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Augh, got my Static and Shade mixed up... now I know I qualify for the Denny's restaurant seniors menu! :^/

Interesting about the dialogue changes!

I watched Konga (parts anyway) on Svengoolie (U.S. horror movie program) last night. It wasn't much of a movie (although in colour with lots of British actors seen in other movies and tv later) but I once had the original Konga #1 (1960) with a full length Ditko adaptation inside and thought it some of his best work. I had a smattering of other Konga issues he worked on for Charlton. Needless to say his Konga had loads more character to him than the screen one! I remember one comic where he battled a giant rat his size and there there was some Ditko on that although maybe only the cover.

That Konga #1 had the UK price on it. I had a few '60s (and '70s) Charltons (and '60s Marvels) with that 8d or 10d but no North American price... no idea why they were on the west coast of Canada, perhaps someone moved here with them, although we had one shop that sold current UK comics.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 19 March 2023 at 6:03pm

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2023 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think the issue with the rat was Konga's Revenge #2.  According to GCD, this featured 20 pages drawn by Ditko, and a short non-Konga backup by another artist who may have been sonewhat influenced by Ditko: Don Perlin

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2023 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Here's some Ditko Iron Man!  (If you'll recall, it was Ditko who first drew Iron Man's slender & sleek red & yellow armor way back when!)

From IRON MAN ANNUAL #11, a short back-up penciled and inked by Steve Ditko--

3 pages from IRON MAN #160, Iron Man vs. the Serpent Squad, penciled by Steve Ditko and inked by Dan Green--

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2023 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Green's a nice fit.

For years, it's been SO strange to me to see Ditko drawing a woman with a modern hairstyle! It just doesn't compute!

Same goes for Ditko drawing an uncostumed man that's not wearing a brim hat and suit and tie.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 28 March 2023 at 12:17pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2023 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have that Iron Man #160 and it's a 'keeper' for sure. I had an old Tales Of Suspense with Ditko on Iron Man (and The X-Men) and it's definitely a big improvement over that (inked by Reinman). He doesn't really suit the character long term but it was fun to see his version as a guest artist! He also drew Iron Man in the first Squirrel Girl story. :^)

Finished reading the '70s Shade series. The main character being a self-possessed Randian Roarke sort is unique in his world as the only person to survive the madness zone of the dimension separating ours from theirs. Everyone else who experiences the place has gone insane and never recovered, eventually dying. Is it Rac Shade's advanced moral code that allowed only he to see beyond what others could not? Along the way he saves one other from the madness, his one-time fellow law officer fiancee turned enemy who has been after him for a murder he was framed as committing... via a mind-meld procedure, a benefit of which is that she comes out of it knowing his innocence.

The multi-dimension aspect is handled well if very simply, it could give a reader lots of food for thoughts on reality and the various dimensions, someone crossing from one to another having to ground themselves to the new one. Text science fiction you can go into that better but Ditko's language visually is it's own thing which I've loved since seeing his Doctor Strange in other dimensions astrally or otherwise.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Here's some random Ditko ROM pages!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2023 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

More random ROM!

I just read that Marvel made a deal to do a ROM Omnibus!  The first one, of course, will have Sal Buscema art!  But let's hope that they get to the Ditko issues too!

Edited by Eric Jansen on 27 May 2023 at 4:52am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2023 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I just read that Marvel made a deal to do a ROM Omnibus!
Micronauts, too.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2023 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Those Green-inked pages remind me of Paul Smith.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version