Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Imaginary Friends Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 12:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
As someone said, George W Bush claims that he talks to God every day. This makes him very devout.

If he said he talks to God on his cellphone, this would make him psychotic.

I sometimes listen to right wing talk radio, in the same spirit that Peter O'Toole's TH Lawrence held his hand over match flames, and got to hear this fallacy in real time.

Syndicated host Michael Medved committed this very same contradiction, outright praising Bush for the devoutness demonstrated by his his testimony of literal conversations with God, while deriding Iran's then-president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as "Achmed-A-Whack-Job" for saying the exact same things about Allah.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 12:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I remember my mother, who was 9 years younger than her nearest sibling, and therefore an "only child" in many ways telling us she had imaginary friends named Buckem and Mean-Boy. I don't know if she encouraged us to have IF, or if it was natural. I remember one of them wasn't nice, but the others were. So it gave us the opportunity to role-play social situations. (my very much adult and too-serious analysis) I remember my siblings (I'm the middle child) an I played out elaborate story-lines with our toys and figures. We named generic figures and dolls also.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My brothers and I play acted super hero stories regularly.
I also made up stories in my head. A lot. While sat
listening to music.
A psychologist would probably say I lived in a fantasy land
when I was on my own as a kid.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I never conjured imaginary friends.  I have a younger brother, so we played make believe for sure.  It was the 70s, so we play acted a couple of brothers who were stars of action movies or had their own sitcom.  We also played GI Joes, Star Trek and Planet of the Apes action figures and Hot Wheels. As I got older, I had a good group of friends with whom I gathered to have adventures around the neighborhood.  Failing all of that, I had comics and my Little House & Hardy Boys books. I guess I just never felt the need to create a person or creature out of whole cloth in my mind.  I was always too busy with real people!  
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Matt Reed is my imaginary friend.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
I tend to vocalize my thoughts when I’m alone. Sometimes I worry I’ll find myself doing in the grocery store.

James Woodcock wrote:
I most certainly talk to myself & it drives my wife nuts because I constantly walk around mumbling, & she can’t make out what I’m saying or whether I’m talking to myself or her.

I’ve talked to myself for as long as I can remember. For me, it’s always helped me work through complex problems out loud since just thinking about a thing has a tendency to spin me into wild tangents.  It also calms anxiety, orders my thoughts and I often make myself laugh!  For the longest time I thought there was something wrong with me, especially when I was young.  Again, this was the 70s so crazed serial killers headlined by Charles Manson were in the public consciousness.  I thought I might be leaning toward schizophrenia as that almost always manifests itself at a young age.  As I got older and still did it, long past the age where it would actually be a mental problem, I was just embarrassed.  It wasn’t until the last 15 years or so where I’ve accepted it as part of who I am and how I process life.  I’ve also read that it’s fairly common, just a thing that most don’t discuss.  Although I’m good at curbing it in public situations, I am thankful that talking to myself alone in my car no longer draws stares of confusion.  People just think I’m on the phone!   

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
 Matt Reed is my imaginary friend.

HA!  

Knowing you as long as I have on this forum, I think we’d get along just fine in real life if you ever got out of that hellhole known as Tennessee!  

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Rodrigo wrote:
This Zavid character seems terrifying. You should write a script about it, Dave!

Definitely has some real arthouse horror vibes, now that you mention it. Would have to be a period piece to really nail that genre...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

> I have a younger brother, so we played make believe for sure. <

Darn you, Matt! You always got to be Batman, then. I had an older brother and I was always stuck with Robin. Grrr...!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Truth!  We did play Batman & Robin (Adam West era action figures) and I was always Batman.  Kirk as well!  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I did, however, get a verbal scolding from my Creative Writing Professor infront of the whole class once for starting a sentence with “Truth to tell…” inmy essay. Back in 1985. He wasn’t very creative, now was he? I snappedback at him that I see it in writing all the time! (And, I think we JBEffersknow where!) ;)

•••

Not in 1985!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 March 2024 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Vocalizing has been, for me, a way of sorting my thoughts without dealing with the peculiar way my mind works.

Without the vocalizing, a thought will pop into my head, then run through a kind of scrubber that tightens it up, then passes through a third go round with proper grammar. Believe me, it can be tedious.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version