Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: JBNM publication questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2024 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have been re-organizing my John Byrne comic book collection, and observed something that I had either not keyed into before or had forgotten about.  And one question led to a few more:

1) the story begins in Dark Horse presents (excluding 2112, for the moment).  I’m wondering what considerations came into play that led to the decision to launch this series in an anthology book first.  

Was this the publishers or JB’s idea/ preference?  

I can’t think of many ongoing anthology books in comic history (specifically, that have multiple stories in them at a time like heavy metal or the Warren magazines of the late 1960s), and it’s an interesting moment that both sin city and JBNM were both launched in the same run.

it’s a curious decision and choice to launch the story in the anthology book 1st.  it’s one I applaud and enjoyed but I’m just curious about how that decision came about.  

2) the four sub chapters that were printed in Dark Horse presents are prelude, interlude, interlude II and nativity, published in DHP issues 53 to 57.  

However the original printing sequence order was interlude, which was published an issue 53, Followed by interlude II in issue 54. When reprinted in issue zero of JBNM, however, they were re-ordered so that prelude came first. 

Was Prelude intended to come first or was that simply re-ordered for the reprint compilation in JBNM 0, and so forth?

3) in the trade paperback, book one, issues were re-ordered further.  Issue six was placed before issue zero to make the story more chronological.  Yet, I don’t believe this was noted at all in the introduction to the trade paperback or anywhere else in the trade. I’m wondering if people were confused about that and what considerations went into that.  

I don’t own any of the subsequent reprints, so I’m also curious if that resequencing has been maintained, or whether it was reverted at any point.  

This is not a question, but one general comment is that the original issues have many features that are compelling and fascinating that are not visible in the reprints or trade volumes. in particular, the letter column editorials and dialogue between readers and JB are fascinating. 

I’m wondering how comic book collectors or simple John fans think about original issues as artifacts.  Are you simply reading the story? Or are you putting the story in a particular context (place and time - namely, North America in the mid 1990s), and do you view the original issues as a different artifact that brings to the fore of time in place. 

in that context, the questions I have about sequencing in ordering are all relevant.  Think how George Lucas went back and tinkered with Star Wars.  it’s not a perfect analogy, but the resequencing of the issues for the trade is not entirely different either.  The dramatic beats and the narrative meaning all changes with more backstory revealed before you get to other parts of the story. 
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2024 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Comics started out as thicker anthology title and only sometimes was a character spun off from those into their own title. Japan and Europe both stayed mostly anthology titles, often weekly, and then parts of a story would be collected into an album or numbered volume. In America in modern times sometimes there have been #0s that will collect up material from before the solo title began, and I think they're a great idea.

I definitely like what are now called 'floppys', single comics, even my choice for reprints = whatever is most like those is my preference, they all go together, it's the larger or smaller or hardcover items that don't fit for me. The dates give context; I can look at what else was coming out at the same time. If I were very organized they would be by company and then alphabetically. So Dark Horse Presents would be with other Dark Horse comics and filed under 'D'. If I have it I read and maybe reread it, including any text/letters. If I have an Amazing Heroes or Comics Interview with a cover feature I have to admit I'm tempted to keep that with the series it's focused most on, but I don't have a lot of those so it's just a smattering of issues. I keep an Amazing Heroes issue on The Futurians with the few Futurians comics there were... at the end/bottom, and a Comics Interview featuring Walt Simonson with a Thor cover with the massive number of Thors... at the end, behind even Thor Corps.

I have the first two issues of Mark Schultz' Xenozoic Tales, but also two larger collections re-titled Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and the art in them has been redone in spots Lucas-like, so on that one I've ended up keeping both, all under Kitchen Sink.

It works for me so far, but something could come along with two publishers, like those Amalgam one-shots which are in their own category in two date groups but I don't have the four Vs. books that framed them which show both Marvel and DC as publisher.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2024 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I am reluctant to speak on his behalf, but my take on things was that JB was
doing his ‘start as deep in the story as possible’
& while I’m a sucker for chronologically reading things that were publishing
out of chronology, I’m also a sucker for throw me in the deep end & make
me figure some things out.
& it worked beautifully in Next Men.

I have digital reprints of ll the issues, but have kept the originals for the
‘Flame about this high….’ Columns. Those were fascinating insights
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2024 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think those are really interesting questions.

I experienced everything as it was coming out and never owned the TPBs, so some of this is news to me. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2024 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I personally only have #1-18 and #0... #21 is out of my range.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2024 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

QUOTE:
2) the four sub chapters that were printed in Dark Horse presents are prelude, interlude, interlude II and nativity, published in DHP issues 53 to 57.  

Was Prelude intended to come first or was that simply re-ordered for the reprint compilation in JBNM 0, and so forth?

JB's answered this one before - he ran the chapters in DHP in the order he did so that the Next Men would be front in center in the first story that appeared.  Then he went for the chronological approach for #0.  I'd imagine a similar mindset would've been in play for the trade, but that I don't recall him commenting on..  

Stephen Menendian
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2024 at 2:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thank you, Dave!

That answer makes a lot of sense.  

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version