Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 46 Next >>
Topic: Joe Q to end Peter Parker Marriage? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 1  

So Joe (piss on continuity) Q. is going to have a go at the Parker marriage? It's one thing to try and rework a writing arc that happened recently, but to erase or tear down something that's been going on for years? I suppose that he and MJ will be 'just friends' after that? LOL! Better yet, what if it never happened? That way we can write off any story in which MJ played a pivitol role. Sigh.

Next I suppose J.Q. will have felt that killing off Uncle Ben was "a mistake" and kill off Aunt May instead. Maybe Peter will be hit with some sort of cosmic ray that resets him to being about 16 again.

Or better yet, discontinue all Spider-Man books and make the Ultimate one the new 'canon' character. After all, apparently Ultimates are prone to cross-overs now...

Sigh.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
If ^^***** had the stones they'd say "Screw continuity! As of January 2007, we're hitting 'rewind' and resetting all the books to where they were in 1972 -- just set in modern time."

No "cosmic events", no 100 issue crossovers. Just an editorial fiat, like MAN OF STEEL. Only way to get things done.

Couldn't agree more... although, if what you suggest was executed literally, we'd lose all your X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Alpha Flight classics; that would not be a reboot that I'd be happy with. I think Marvel comics reached their true zenith about 1983. (Just before Shooter--a fine EIC up till then from what I can tell--went nuts with the Secret Wars crossover.)

I miss the Baxter Building, deceptively poignant savage Hulk stories, concise X-Men rosters, an interesting/non-overexposed Wolverine, spot on characterization, and fun.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
So Joe (piss on continuity) Q. is going to have a go at the Parker marriage?

It's more like he would like to have a go (and to make Peter younger too) but is too afraid of the only real way to do it, a reboot.

I suppose he has a good reason to be fearful. Remember the fuss the Spider-Fanboys made about Chapter One, and that changed practically nothing!

It would take some nerve to wipe two or three decades of Spider-Man history.

While I am in favour of a reboot, It would likely be a jumping off point for many long time Spider-Man readers. And since there's not many new young readers out there...

Edited by Andrew Kneath on 29 April 2006 at 9:44am

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 4  

I remember in 1998 in one of his Soapbox comments Stan Lee answered a letter from a fan who was asking about the passage of time in the Marvel Universe. I may not be quoting exactly, but Stan replied:

"In the Marvel Universe there is Marvel time and that is the only time that matters. The real world has real time, but we are just a fantasy world where the rules of time and change work differently."

I may not be exact with the quote.

Jon Godson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 5  

I think that the marriage of Peter and Mary Jane is more than an issue of
aging Peter.

In my opinion, no change should be made to a character that permanently
alters that character (or book) that cannot be reversed without the
reversal also permanently altering the character (or book).

Few marriages in comics work. Barry Allen & Iris West, Ray Palmer & Jean
Loring, and Reed Richards and Sue Storm being among the few successes.

I think that it alters the X-Men book and the character of Storm to be
married to a non-mutant because it permanently links a different comic
concept in to the series - or divorce (or cloning, or alternate realities, or
shape-changers, or etc. ) must occur that will permanently affect the
character or book, usually not for the better.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 6  

Personally, I think the clock could be reset to the end of Secret Wars 2. Everything after that could be the Beyonder having his jollies, torturing Marvel characters with bad writers (with a few acceptions, present company included).

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 7  

John Byrne wrote:
[...] but then I was also taught that punctuation goes
outside quotation marks, unless it is part of the quotation.

As we learned in the "Punctuation" thread, according to Strunk and White,
that is correct.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 8  

I think if Marvel were going to go the "cosmic reset" route they pretty much have to  reset everything to the beginning.  Only going halfway, like resetting to Secret Wars or something,  really only appeals to folks that have been reading the books since then.  Otherwise you're basically saying to new readers, "Oh yeah, there was this event that happened twenty years ago.  Everything that happened before that is fine, but everything that's happened since, never happened."  At least if you just push everything back to the beginning it provides an easy jumping on point.  But then, how is that any different from the Ultimate line?

Edited by Matt Linton on 29 April 2006 at 10:37am

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 9  

Ian:
 QUOTE:
Peter is an adult, and so MJ, and they have known each other for years.

Each statement here is wrong...

Why? Peter and MJ are at least 25 or 26 (or 30, if we want to agree with the current writers). They aren't children! And they first met several years before their marriage (21 in our time... 4 or 5 in Marvel time. Hard to say this, time always creates problems in comics!).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 10  

If the clock was reset to, let's say Secret Wars 2, at least we'd have characters that resemble the ones we know and love. If you reset to the beginning you run into people wanting to "fix" Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, etc.'s characters and you get stuff like that "Heroes Reborn".

No thank you.

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 11  

There is a very good (commercial) reason why Marvel would never go back to early 70's continuity. How many comics can they hope to sell with a Marvel Universe with no New X-Men in it and no Claremont/Byrne plots to milk?

Secret Wars 1 era is the best bet. This would still leave Peter at college age but at least he would be single. Pretty much everything else was still intact back then.

There is one spanner in the works though. Maddy Pryor. IIRC she was married to Scott and pregnant at this time. This would have to be dealt with prior to bringing Jean Grey back.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 12  

But that's my point.  The ones WE know and love.  And that's going to be different for everyone reading comics.  I prefer a Spider-Man that's in high school, but I also prefer Shadowcat to Ariel or Sprite.  I like the Winter Soldier, but I hate the Spider-totem stuff.  I don't really mind if they reset the Marvel Universe, I'd just prefer if they did it as a clear jumping on point rather than as a virtual time machine.

The other issue with any kind of reset is what do you do with newer titles?  Are the Runaways suddenly contemporaries of Spider-Man (in the case of a Day One reset) or the New Mutants (if you reset to SW2)? 

<< Prev Page of 46 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version