Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 46 Next >>
Topic: Joe Q to end Peter Parker Marriage? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
Stan, Jack and Steve had "real time" in the early Marvel books.... But when they realized Marvel was going to be around for a while, the brakes went on

True. And, in general, even in the earliest FANTASTIC FOUR stories, Lee/Kirby teased readers with a playful temporal fluidity, e.g., FF#5 ("The Thing is Blackbeard! He came back to find... himself!") or the very humorous exchange between Dr. Doom and Rama-Tut in FF ANNUAL#2.

Back to Top profile | search

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 2  

I think that if the Marvel universe was rebooted, there should be no specific time referenced. The heroes would simply be restored to their iconic forms and would have been around "for some time".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 3  

Strunk & White on the comma:

In a series of three or more terms with a single conjunction, use a comma after each term except the last.

Thus write: red, white, and blue -- or -- honest, energetic, but headstrong -- or -- He opened the letter, read it, and made a note of its contents.

This is also the usage of the Government Printing Office and of the Oxford University Press.

In the names of business firms the last comma is omitted, as in Brown, Shipley and Company.

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 4  

Wouldn't it be overthinking it to reset all of the Marvel universe comics to a specific period? Just create new status quos for the characters and comics that need them, based upon what worked best for them.

For lack of better words, "Batman: The Animated Series" them.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 5  

Lance Hill said:

"Just create new status quos fo the characters and comics that need them, based on what worked best for them."

Best idea I've heard, so far.

Edited by Matt Linton on 29 April 2006 at 11:28am

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 6  

Both Marvel and DC would do well to heed that idea.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 7  

So Joe (piss on continuity) Q. is going to have a go at the Parker marriage?

Did you even read the entire interview before you went off on your rant?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 8  

" Wouldn't it be overthinking it"

A new status quo would be more likely to entail overthinking that a partial reset.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

I agree with JB on this, just start doing stories with Spider-Man doing his thing in Manhatten, no home life to speak of except maybe a Aunt May visit or two, show him needing some money, having a hard luck situation.  Just basic Spider-Man situations, don't mention the marriage, Avengers, just go back to the Spider-Man basics.  After a while it'll be just like before, he'll have just stepped out of the shower.

I guess what I don't understand about the editorial departments at the big two is why there isn't some kind of editorial basics on a giant poster about the editors desk saying what the basics of a superhero story is. No married Spider-Man, Superman, Ninja psycho Batman, you know the basics.  I seem to remember a lot of exciting stories in the past that seemed to work within those perameters.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Valerie Finnigan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think it's quite revealing to see that Joe Q thinks there's such an animal as a good soap opera. Confirms my suspicions. And there we have the reason why I have been waiting for the summaries and the TPB's rather than rushing to buy the books.

Me, I loved the fact that Peter and MJ got married, that it wasn't something that was just "destined" to happen, that it isn't all happiness and bliss, but has been rather as close to a real-world marriage as possible in the Marvel-verse.

It stands to reason that Peter Parker as an everyman would mature and get married. That's what most people do, although most guys don't land models.

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

They (the editors) just don't know how to say no when their new best bud, that's turned to nu-star, comes up with this theory of how jack and stan didn't knew what they're doing, and a Spider-Man that feeds on blood, bangs supermodels, has three kids, a nipple pierce, and a tivo-wristwatch, is what's its all about; "It's evolution 'natch", says Trendis. And the poor EIC bud, that never really learnt anything about economics, writing, ploting, editing, sales, marketing, or, for that matter keeping deadlines, yet runs a division of a multibillion dollar stockmarket listed company,just goes: "Hey, i wonder how many plasma screens i could have on the new Jacuzzi?"

That's how it happens.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

Mig, you do realize that the whole point was that Quesada doesn't think Spider-Man should be married, or have kids, or be divorced, or be a widower.  And that he doesn't want to invalidate 20 years of stories to make it go away.  And that Spider-Man is most appealing as a teenage superhero going through the same things other teens go through, as well.  Not sure where you get "jack and stan didn't know what they're doing", "bangs supermodels, has three kids" out of that. Also not sure what plasma screens and jacuzzi's have to do with anything. Spider-Man got married long before Quesada took over.  Not everything that's wrong with Marvel is his fault.

<< Prev Page of 46 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version