Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 46 Next >>
Topic: Joe Q to end Peter Parker Marriage? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ahh ... to possess a model.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 2  

Wouldn't it be overthinking it to reset all of the Marvel universe comics to a specific period? Just create new status quos for the characters and comics that need them, based upon what worked best for them.

For lack of better words, "Batman: The Animated Series" them.

If CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS and MAN OF STEEL taught us nothing else, they taught us that there will always be writers, editors and artists who want to "cheat". (Remember the statue of Supergirl in the "Hall of Fallen Heroes" in the death of Superboy story? Remember the "ghost" of Kara?)

By picking a specific time frame -- 1972 in this case -- we create a reference point. No one can complain that "we don't know which Fantastic Four stories are stil 'real'," because nothing after 1972 is 'real' any more. Or make it 1970. Or 1968. The date is not all that important. What matters is the consistency, and that we go far enough back to find the "core" of these characters.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

"And that he doesn't want to invalidate 20 years of stories to make it go away. "

That's really the concern of the soap opera fans. Sorry, a lot of us are in it for the fun and adventure, not the who-slept-with-what aspect.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

Valerie Finnigan wrote:
It stands to reason that Peter Parker as an everyman would mature and get married. That's what most people do, although most guys don't land models.

It doesn't "stand to reason" at all, because no matter how like us he is, Peter Parker isn't real.  In that light, it doesn't make sense, in any world, to see him "mature and get married".  Winnie the Pooh is an everyman, albeit a bear, and no one has clamored to see him "mature".  The only reason why I can see people wanting Peter to stay married, or get married in the first place, is because they want him to "age", "grow", and "mature" along with them, although at a much more retarded pace.  90% of what made Peter Parker the character he was went out the window when he married a supermodel, eventually moved into a comfy loft in Manhattan, then again to Avengers Tower with both his aunt and wife, and really hasn't had one worry about money, girls, or relationships in general for nearly two decades our time.  That, to me, is so incredibly sad for a character that has been my all-time favorite for over 30 years.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

Joe, Spider-Man's been a soap opera from day one.  I don't know what that has to do with invalidating or not invalidating continuity, though.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

TV soap operas have very little choice when it comes to aging characters. Comicbook soap operas do. There's a soap opera strip I have had in my head for a couple of decades now. If I ever do it, you can rest assured that that characters will go thru their daily lives, will every year celebrate Xmas and Thanksgiving, and even occasional birthdays -- and will never age a day. Because they won't be real.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

Just like THE SIMPSONS (not your idea, mind you, but the notion that 17 years can go by with birthdays, holidays, death and marriage, and no one has aged a day)...

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
The date is not all that important. What matters is the consistency, and that we go far enough back to find the "core" of these characters.
Some problems might arise, however, where the core of certain characters belongs to a different real-time than others. Although this could be minimized (even ignored to a degree) if the old style of letting each comic book deal primarily with its own characters also took hold again.

It would be interesting to hear vented the editorial arguments, the debates behind the decision. Is the "core" Thor prior to Walt Simonson? I wouldn't look beyond Lee/Kirby myself, but others -- maybe most others -- would disagree. And what's "core" X-Men, the 1975 team or the 1963 team? Et cetera.

Jim Bracjey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 9  

Peter Parker isn't an "everyman."  He's an "everyman" for young people.  He thinks the world is against him and his luck is rotten.  He has girl problems and guilty feeling about his parental figures.  He works as a photographer, a job that barely pays enough for him to scrape by.  If you age him (or marry him), he seems a lot less relatable and a lot more like a "real" loser.  He's a teen with problems, not a neurotic adult with a Peter Pan complex like George Costanza.

Peter at 40 probably should be happily married with a kid, with a college degree, working on important scentific matters.  But that would be a boring comic book, so we should never, ever see it.

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

That's probably the best definition of Peter Parker I've ever seen.

Ever ran a comic book company?

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB wrote:

Remember, he had a bunch of girlfriends before even meeting MJ, Gwen, Betty, and Liz.

++++++

D'you see...?

Referencing that is should be "Betty and Liz", without the comma?

I think that may be a function of where you learned punctuation. I was certainly taught that no comma was needed before the "and", but then I was also taught that punctuation goes outside quotation marks, unless it is part of the quotation. That's another one that seems to vary with geography (and the personal quirks of the English teacher!)

No, Chief,  what I meant was that it should read '...before even meeting MJ: Gwen, Betty and Liz' - i.e. with a colon to separate the girlfriends he had before MJ from MJ herself.  He had NO girlfriends before 'meeting MJ, Gwen, Betty and Liz'...Betty having been his first

Valerie Finnigan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2006 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

Well, considering he's been married for about 20 of our years, I would say that precludes him being an everyman exclusively for young people.

And with very few exceptions, I find that characters who have the same exact issues for 30 years do get boring.

<< Prev Page of 46 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version