Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: Miracleman/Marvel Man (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 1  

Core concepts are Core Concepts because they are important to the character. If you take them away, you are left with something completly different, which is fine if the characters is YOUR character. If you decide to mess with something that isn't yours, like, oh, say an established character, then I'd have you say your in the wrong.

If I may be frank, I'm baised since Moore's writing is far to bleak for myself.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 2  

Moore's Miracleman was amazing, and it's a shame that so many people have never been able to read it because of the legal problems.

And then just when I thought it was perfect, Gaiman came aboard and continued perfection, in a whole new direction.  Landmark stuff, exploring the deification of superheroes.

Back to Top profile | search

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
i think the matrix ripped of Miracleman heavily also.

The Matrix was a rip off from so many people they ended up settling a case for millions of dollars, if i'm not mistaken, with a woman which claimed the whole concept was stolen. I believe they actually lost the case in court for her. If anyone has a better recolection of this ordeal, please go ahead.

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Shouldn't we look at a comic book on its own merits, instead of just complaining about whatever "violation" it brings to older characters?

No.

What insidious philosophy is that? You only look at what you want to look, and turn away from anything that might be negative or in discrepancy with logic? They already invented that along time ago; it's called religion.

Alan Moore isn't a God, and thus must stand up in full front light of critic of pure reason.

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Something happened to England after I left. The people who had fought thru the Blitz, survied Dunkirk, produced Shakespeare, carved an empire upon which the sun never set --- morphed into a nation of nihilistic whiners. "Fascist England", a term that could be coined only by someone who had never personally experienced Fascism.

What the %#^# happened?

Oh, you do not want to return there. You'll suffer a serious heartbreak. I used to check out the news in English TV channels, pretty much everyday, one day the whole thing became so bizarre, nauseating, just out right outrageous, i couldn't even stand to witness it.

The expatriates are augmenting, i believe, we have a good fair deal of them in the Algarve area here.

England, has now been thoroughly destroyed. Culturaly. Demographically. Even the Union Jack is considered "Racist" these days. The London mayor is straight up Marxist Communist. The major last sculpture put in there was a giant pebble. I really can not fathom more insane a diametrically opposed political switch than the one from the Tatcher years, and the current Tony Blair years.

I do wonder how an amazing woman like Tatcher survives witnessing her country being turn to shreds, piece by piece, by anarchic nihilists every single day... sweet lord.

Mig Da Silva
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
I haven't read those either by the way. Are they good?

You haven't read WATCHMEN, and you're here entering a discussion on Alan Moore...

...apologies, i just passed out momentarily. Where am i again?

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 7  

Mig, the major last sculpture was of disabled artist Alison lapper.It wasnt a pebble.

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 8  

Steve Bissette and Totleban came up with the idea for Swamp Thing being a plant that thought it was a man... Bissetter told us this when he came to the Kubert School and told us stories about the industry...very sobering lessons learned that day

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 9  

I have read many works of Moore (including MiracleMan, downloaded from the web). I have always say that his works are "good reading", but never a "good story".

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 10  

I really enjoyed Gaiman's MiracleMan, which I had picked up in Trade for cover price somewhere. Years later I read Moore's MiracleMan and enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away (any more than I was when I got his Captain Britain trade.*)

I would not have enjoyed Moore's MiracleMan if it were the same exact story but with the title "Captain Marvel" and the lead being a grown up Billy Batson, and having him meet Freddy Freeman in London instead of Bates. I would have despised that comic. It's hard to get that connection for those of us on this side of the pond who never really knew of any MiracleMan/MarvelMan aside from Moore's or Gaiman's, but Moore's MiracleMan wasn't the equivalent of making some new character named Rorschach into a psycho, this was making the Question into a psycho.

*I do like some Moore stuff. I like Watchmen, Tom Strong, Promethea, Top Ten, Swamp Thing...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 11  

Rene wrote:
...They begin to investigate the death and discover a Marvel-Man type character "killed" him (turns out to have faked his death)...

Wouldn't a "Marvel-man type character" really be a "Captain Marvel-type" character?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Linton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 12  

Actually, they're investigating the death of a "Constantine-like" character, not Marvel-Man.

<< Prev Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version